• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pulling the Engine

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is it possible to remove the engine/trans from a BE that has the OE tilt up front bonnet w/o removing the bonnet? I have removed the radiator.

Let me know,
MXP

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I know fellow BCFer spritenut can do it... uses a floor jack I think.

Me, I removed the bonnet.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I'm sure you could as well but why risk damaging a bonnet. 8 bolts to remove, put an alignment mark around the hinge bracket with a Sharpie and find 2 helpers to get the bonnet on and off without damaging the paint. Realign with the hlep of the marks you already made and "Bob's Your Uncle..."

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I is easier to remove the engine from a bugeye than it is to remove and replace the bonnet. So why risk damaging the bonnet by trying to remove and replace it?
Remove the carbs & intake as one unit, keeping the cables still connected if they will go back as is and set them on the master cylinder.
Remove the distributor, starter, and sometimes the oil filter if yours is one that sticks out with the angle adapter.
Undo the bellhousing bolts, use a block of wood under the oil pan and a floor jack to raise the engine some, pull the jack forward some, raise it to clear the steering rack.
Place a towel over the steering rack, slide the engine onto the rack.
If you have a helper, get him now, have him balance the engine on the rack while you scoot the floor jack out from under the car and position it in front of the car. Now slide the engine onto the floor jack.
It fits between the radiator supports with the exception of some oil filter adapter spacers.
If you do not have a helper, you can balance the engine with one hand on the rack while you maneuver the jack with the other hand.
It is not 1/2 as hard as it sounds. I do it all the time with 3 Bugeyes in the family, most of the time by myself with the balancing act.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Frank, think novice at this, you after all are the master.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I think that he said that he has a tilt-front. That is going to make and engine/trans a bit tough to get out w/o taking the bonnet off I think--
BillM

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
mxp01 said:
BE that has the OE tilt up front bonnet

Hey Bill I think he is saying that he has the stock bonnet set up, not a front tilt.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Jim_Gruber said:
Frank, think novice at this, you after all are the master.

You HAVE to pull the bonnet on a square body, there is no reason on a bugeye. OK I can R&R an engine in an hour but pulling a bugeye bonnet to pull an engine will only save your head from a few bumps and scrapes. :wink: I did a 5 speed conversion to my daughters Bugeye a couple months ago by myself, bonnet on, engine out, tranny out, 5 speed in, then the engine. The car was finished a year ago, I didn't even scratch the powder coated steering rack.
It is really easy if you try it. It beats pulling the engine out of a square body for sure.

Bob_s

better head bumps than paint problems imo..last time i took bonnet off i chipped cowl on install and every time i look at the car it's the first thing i see..when i pulled the 1275 out i left tranny in and bonnet on, a little annoying at times but no chance of doing that again

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gentlemen:

Today I received a major shipment from the USA, including my engine lift.

I happy to report that I was able to remove my engine & tranny today with the bonnet still on. There were no real complications.

The next problem now confronts me regarding the clutch that I'll continue in another thread.....

Mike Pennell