• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

disc brake conversion

kalist

When converting to disc brakes on a mkII do you use the steering arms from the mkII so the tie rod ends match or is there another method? I thought I read something on this in one of the posts here but for the life of me I can't find it.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, steering arms is part of the swap.

Country flag
Wait. I thought the steering arms were the same if the donor car was a pre-72.

Anyone have an original parts list?

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
The arms are the same up to the early 70s, not sure when they changed but the threads got smaller on the tie rod ends at some point after 69, they may have changed a 3rd time when they went to the Triumph steering rack around 72.
Or I am wrong and they only changed once when they went to the TR rack. The rods got thinner.
So drum brake tie rods and steering arms are the same as all 50 & 60s Spridgets.
Just watch out for the change to the smaller tie rods.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
On my Bugeye I used the original steering arms (drum brakes) when I did the conversion. My donor car was a '74 so had the later steering rack setup.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
the very early midget I scrapped out had disc brakes. were they not orginal equipment? I cut the front end competly off to save to install on my Bugeye during rebuild. Wire wheel car with the Bugeye rear end.

OP
K

kalist

I must have a late model disc brake setup (purchased off ebay). I put the drum brake arms on today and it looks like they will will work fine.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
mightymidget said:
the very early midget I scrapped out had disc brakes. were they not orginal equipment?
The first Midgets with the 948 motor had drums all around. When they switched to the 1098 (but still with sidecurtains) they got front discs.

Jholland

Freshman Member
Hi, i am doing this same conversion on a MK1 sprite. I have the brakes installed at the wheels, now turing my attention to the hydrolic system. I was thinking midget pedal box (early) and mc, the single line 3/4 bore. Seperate the brake and clutch MCs. Looks like the firewall (hole) will have to be modified to accept this setup, but I believe it is well worth it. Am I on the right track, and any other advice from those who have done it before?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Take a look at Gerards Website. He's got a section there on converting to disks as well as service to resleeve to 3/4" master. You also need ot use the backing plates off of a Disc brake car to retain correct brake balance and pedal pressures. Read the info at his site and you'll have everything you need. Resleeving in brass also resolves the issue of leaky / pitted MC's. Or you can spend big bucks and buy a new 3/4" MC. Best bang for the buck is to get resleeved with correct 3/4' pistons which Gerard had fabricated.

I'm about to start this process myself, a set of Spindles and Calipers and rear backing plates arrived at my house courtesy of Trevor. Front suspension rebuild / major suspension kit / Sway bar to be installed along with discs front and upgrade rear brakes. Pics will be provided along the way.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi, i am doing this same conversion on a MK1 sprite. I have the brakes installed at the wheels, now turing my attention to the hydrolic system. I was thinking midget pedal box (early) and mc, the single line 3/4 bore. Seperate the brake and clutch MCs. Looks like the firewall (hole) will have to be modified to accept this setup, but I believe it is well worth it. Am I on the right track, and any other advice from those who have done it before?

You could do all that, but it's really the more labor intensive and expensive way to do it. Why not keep everything original looking with the exact some end result?

Here's the link to the page Jim was suggesting.