• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Disc Brake Conversion

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
One of the first projects I need to start ASAP is to get the brakes working on my newly acquired Austin A-35 Van. Problem supposedly is result of shot hydraulic cylinders on front wheels. Seller sent me the disc brake hardware..so my question is twofold:

1) I had originally planned on buying rebuild kits from UK and just restore the original hydraulics (everything front/back and master cylinder)...I'm more comfortable with this setup but just the rebuild kits (due to rarity) are very costly if you can even find them (there is a complete rebuild package deal on UK ebay right now that I would try to Win) or:

2) Do I go ahead and upgrade it to the front disc's...(better stopping power but not original) and if I do.. does anyone know of a link or a BCF thread that provides me info on the "how to"..?.

THANKS for any insights and assistance.........

OP
BIBBER

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
OK...you're scarin'me...don't be shy..surely someone has been through the hydraulic to disc conversion efforts...my hopes of going that way hopefully isn't getting me into a major lifetime project...otherwise I'll just try and patch up the hydraulics...THANKS

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I am pretty confident of my information here. I believe that the easiest, cheapest and most convenient upgrade is to either Sprite/Midget front discs, or I think I had read that Mini hardware will work, but being fwd I wouldn't swear to it.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I think that Practical Classics did this very brake upgrade, I shall search and see which of their back-issues has the information when I get home, and look up the back issue concerned, which is bound to be in my basement.

philman

Jedi Knight
do you have to change to rack and pinion from the original ball and worm gear ??

OP
BIBBER

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Steve...if you can find anything that would be GREAT. I have a box of hardware the seller sent with the A-35. Includes rotors and calipers...He brought the car over with him to the states from UK the hardware appears used/refurbed....a lot of the setup on the car is very similar to my 62 Sprite even the 1098 engine...almost like they just took the frame and slapped the A-35 Van body on it...just trying to decide if I should BID on the rebuild kit package...guess I'll go ahead and try to WIN it.. I can always resell....let me know what you find...THANKS

Bugeye58

Yoda
Bibber, as the original Sprite front suspension was essentially the A30/A35, I don't see why the disc conversion wouldn't be the same as doing it to an early Sprite. You would need to change to the disc brake spindles, though. Are they included in your box of goodies?
Jeff

OP
BIBBER

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Jeff...that's what I thought just looking at the 2 side by side...not sure on the spindles..but don't think they are included but I'll double check..I take it different diameter ...THANKS...