• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dear Abby, was I tacky?

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, I knew this day was going to come…sigh. A friend just moved back into town and wants to ride in my B…BUT, he’s about 300+ pounds and just too wide for the cockpit. In fact, he has a very difficult time getting in and of my RAV4. I tried to tactfully say that he wouldn’t fit in the car because I know he won’t. There’s no doubt that he would incur some damage to the seat and/or some other part of the vehicle, not to mention the fact that I would be cramped trying to shift gears.

Have you guys ever had to deal with such an issue? I’m not being anal, but I know the seatbelt won’t fit around him. How does one tactfully state the obvious with hurting either someone else’s feelings or your LBC?

its put away for the winter, Its raining? Gee it wont start....(most likely cuz the rotor is in your pocket)

A frind of mine has a boy that must be 6'1" and go almost 300. Big Lad. hey squezzed himself into my midget one day with out asking. i cringed as i watched him try to get out, by almost pulling on my windscreen. thankfully i was there and prevented that.

mark

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Ah, that I could say any of those things but he knows me too well and will be moving two houses down the street soon. Also, he's a mechanic and I'd hate to alienate him!!

Oh, that my friend were 6'1"...he's probably under 6 feet tall and quite round. His dad used to have a TD but this guy was a lot younger and thinner when they had that.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Ugh. I'm about to deal with that issue. I have a friend coming in from Atlanta in a few weeks. He's 5'9" or so, 360-370 pounds. And he wants to ride in the B. I told him he could go on the Lucas Night Rally with me. He asked would he fit in the car. I told him 'sure.' It's going to make him feel even worse about his size if he doesn't.

I never even considered damage to the seat or impairing my shifting. The shocks and springs did cross my mind though.

And the seatbelt was the first thing that came to mind. That and tossing a crowbar into the boot! (he did mention bringing along a crowbar to pry him out after the ride!)

Now I don't know what to do. I don't want to disappoint him, but I don't want to hurt Emma either!

Morris

Yoda
The previous owner of my car was obese, and his weight caused considerable damage to the driver's seat and suspension.

However, I believe this was due to prolonged use. I think if you were to allow your friends to see how uncomfortable the car is for them by a short spin around the block, they will be happy, and never ask to ride in the car again.

Just make sure you beat them out of the car and offer a helping hand exiting the car.

Just my opinion.

wick

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
~nods~

There's no way I can not take Allen for a ride. I told him he could be my navigator on the night rally. If he's totally uncomfortable, he'll tell me.

MattP

Jedi Knight
A lot of big people know how big they are. Let them have a way out to save face, and after one look, they will most likely take it. Offer the ride on a coolish or hottish day, and say that you are sorry about the weather, it might be a bit X and all. I bet that they will looke at the car about the same size they are and say "Gee, you're right, another time perhaps." and that will be the end of it. Just let them save face. If they have to admit that they are too large, they probably won't. It is humiliating enough to know it without having to admit it. Particularly in a Male/Female situation.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's going to come down to the way he's built. I'm 6'2 and 320 and shrinking and I have had Zero problems with fit even when I was heavier and have always found the B to be rather comfortable and have had zero problems getting in or out or having any control issues or intruding on the passenger side. I wouldn't worry about the seat or suspension for a guy slightly heavier than me unless the seat is near shot or the suspension is really worn as it should support the weight assuming your staying under the load limit for the car. Now if he's going to be there for 50k miles expect some premature wear.

Steve_S

Yoda
I doubt he would cause actual damage just from weight alone. He may be 300 lbs but (no joke intended) the weight is spread out over a large-ish area. The actual pounds per square inch won't be that high. The car itself can easily carry 300 pounds on one side. That's like an average man riding in the seat with two or three 50 pound barbell plates on his lap. It really isn't that much weight for the car to carry. I've had a 200+ passenger in my car plus 100 pounds of luggage and myself for a 20+ mile ride and it was no problem, except for one fairly fast turn through a dip where I lightly rubber a rear tire.

I also agree with Matt 100%. Making him feel comfortable is a priority, and he will not et his feelings hurt so much if there is an excuse for him other than being too fat. You can mention that it's a really small car (exaturate if neccessary) and a lot of people find it uncomfortable. You know it isn't true and he probably does too but at least he will see you are trying to be kind.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, as it is, I'm having the driver's seat fixed at the shop as I type. I have to buy new rails for it because a bolt popped up from the floorboard as my brother-in-law tried to adjust the seat for me at Christmas then 2 other bolts came up a little later on. Got to get that taken care of but…whew!

Yeah, if my friend infringes on my space in my Toyota, it’s a sure bet he’s gonna be over on my side in the B. And he’s a mechanic, so he knows how small the cockpit is but he’s just wide and on the short side. Sigh…

Steve_S

Yoda
If the bolts are coming out of the floor then the car is not safe to drive. If you hit something, you could be violently pitched into the dashboard or worse yet, out of the car! I would reinforce all of the floor nuts immediately!

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, that's the whole point of it being in the shop as we speak.

GreenHornet

Jedi Trainee
I would suggest, for saving face, that you just take him for the quick "spin around the block" it probably won't cause permenant damage to the car. Everyone will be happy.
I took my mom and dad for such rides when I first got my Sprite. Dad is 85 6'1" and had a tough time getting in and out cuz it is so low, but it was a gas. Of course afterwards he decided I needed to get rid of it and get something more practical....hahahaha
If he has trouble getting in just tell him that yer gonna have to charge him double, like the airlines do!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
OMG, get over it! I am 6'3" and have weighed close to 300 lbs in the past. While I did replace the springs in my car, they were shot before I ever had it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I have driven MGBs over the years and never had a problem with the seats.

Many times I have had close to 300 pound passengers in the current B and the car has sruvived just fine. One friend was 5'9" and 295 lbs and she liked it so much, she went out a bought one of her own...but come to think of it, she has also lost about 100 pounds since then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Reading this reminded me of an experience I'd forgotten:

"Once Upon a Time": Soon-to-be First Wife had acquired a moving violation (in PA) and had to be "tested" to retain her license. Went to the State Police testing facility to demonstrate she could competently maneuver the MG (park, drive around cones, reverse into a designated space, etc) The Trooper (6' 3"-ish) she was assigned said: "Where's your vehicle?" She:"Right outside, but you won't fit in it!" He huffed, walked out, took one look at the car (hardtop in place), turned and stomped back inna bldg.... "Shortly" after that a 5'8" trooper walked out and got in the B, laughing about the way it went down inside... she "qualified" inna parking lot easily and it turned out the trooper was an LBC enthusiast. Unexpectedly he instructed her to go out onna highway for a "Highway eval" ride... mostly so's he could enjoy the experience. She stayed inside the limits of the law but drove it "briskly" for about five miles. He gave her "passing grades" and thanked her for the demo on heel/toe double-clutch dwnshifting afterwards. Funny the way things happen sometimes.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, yeah, my best friend is 6'5" and he can ride in it fine...it's all in how a person is proportioned.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Absolutely. I've watched in amazement as fellas over six feet tall "unfold" themselves as they're getting out of their LBC's. Quite a sight to see a person absolutely TOWERING over the car afterwards: "How in the world did he DO that?!?!"

The girth issue is another thing entirely. I'm usually too blunt: "If you think it's do-able, fine. But remember: You damage MY car, you've the responsibility of PAYING me to repair it properly... Windshields, doors and other parts are not leverage points. Sit in the seat first, then put your legs in... egress in reverse order." The Elans are not even offered to be ridden in by anyone but a known, trusted few. Le$$ons learned in the distant past, and NOT repeated. There are +6-footers on that list, but they're fellow Elan owners.

I'm 5' 10" and skinny, (attached photo, 1975) so am the "average English driver" in stature. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I've had 'big' (6'5" 350+) people in my '76. Tight fit for sure, and with the hard top on entering and exiting was a minor feet. The car handled it ok, performance was a bit sluggish, but nothing broke because of it. Of course, we were bumping elbows while I was going through the gears, but that's no real big deal.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Yeah, I may just have to let him try but it indeed is a girth issue for him and not so much really the weight thing. I used to have a Mitsubishi Eclispe and had a friend who was 535 pounds ride in that. He, believe it or not, was not quite as wide as my friend in quesiton.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
How does one tactfully state the obvious with hurting either someone else’s feelings or your LBC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a tactful person when it coms to people being that size. "You want a ride, lose weight!!!! It is for you own good."