• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dear Keenan,

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Dear Keenan,

Sit down, let me explain something to you.

We love you. Most of us look at you as one of our own kids. IF and WHEN we nag, we do it out of love and concern. It's because of many things. Because:

-we remember when we were 17.

-we know how overwhelming car repairs can seem, especially to someone who is just learning.

-we know how frustrating car repairs can be.

-we know how easy it is to become A) distracted, B) disgusted, C) disillusioned, D) all the above.

-we know that fixing or fiddling with something feels better than sitting doing nothing, or so it seems.

-we know that fixing or fiddling with something isn't always the best thing to do.

-we know that car repairs never go as quickly or as smoothly as we hope, as people tell us or as the manuals say.

-we know you're a great kid with a lot going on, a lot on your mind and you're always in a hurry.

-we know that you love your car.

-we truly, from the bottom of our hearts, want to see you driving this car with a huge grin on your face.

That dear 'son,' is why we sometimes seem hard on you. That is why we 'yell' when we think you're going off half-cocked and not following "THE PLAN." Because as old folks, we tend to be more regimented and disciplined. We make lists, and follow them precisely, crossing off one before heading to the next on the list. It's because 99% of us are too far away to physically help you, to get our hands dirty and help. And that is very frustrating. It's difficult to explain how to do something by typing it out, when it would be so easy to just 'show' you.

I can tell you that there is not one person on the boards that doesn't want to see your car zipping down your street with your girlfriend riding shotgun. No one wants you to fail. We are all behind you 100%, rather you believe it or not.

So the next time we are harsh, think about all this, okay?

Hugs,
Momma Janel

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well said, Jaynel - I for one do not believe in patronizing anybody, be they a teenager or experienced car person!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Well saif, Jaynel = Well said, Janel
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hehehehe - got me, Janel!

wrenchpuller

Thanks Jaynel, I missed some of the earlier posts that had obviousle upset Keenan. But what you have just said, I think applies to many of us. And yes it is so much easier to show and tell, rather than by written info, I remember talking my son in law through a starter rebuild over the phone, I think I ended much more frustrated than he was, but it did work on re-fit.
Keep at it Keenan, you will win if you perservere.
Cheers Ric

Go Keenan! Go Keenan! Go Keenan! Go Keenan! Go Keenan!

Cheering from the peanut gallery! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Lose the "Y" Tony.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Got 'cha, Janel! See, I always have "jaybird" on the mind when I type Janel...they're too close together

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I figured that's what it was, I just like messing with ya.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I know that.....hehehehe

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Boy am I glad you guys are states apart, you could get dangerous. Whoot!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nah, never happen....we might get in trouble for hugging when we meet but, nah - not dangerous!

kbash

Jedi Trainee
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks I'm sorry about earlier.
Thank you every one.

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
Please don't say MG parts...please don't say MG parts...I've still got the bruises from when I did that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

To echo everyone else's sentiments, we know you can get your car back up and going. Once you do, you'll be able to answer our tech questions; you might even take on a new project someday (a little red Midget for the girlfriend, perhaps? hehe)

Where does the '77 project stand now, Keenan? What have you done, and what do you have left to do?

swift6

Yoda
What I find really funny about this is that you all claim to remember what it was like to be 17. Do you really?

How many of you actually listened to a group of elders trying to show you the error of your ways... And how many of you said "whatever" (or generational equivalent) and did it your own way anyway.

How many of you became frustrated at the lecturing (even though it was well intentioned) and ignored it, only to be lectured more and more until you stopped listening to the lecture.

Anybody remember being P.O.ed at your parents for trying to tell you how to live your life. Even when it wasn't intended as such but that was how you saw it.

Remember that at that age, some times you just have to learn things yourself, even if that is the hardway.

Keenan seems to listen to advice quite often but doesn't appreciate the lecturing. I don't blame him. I wouldn't appreciate it either unless I really stepped out of line and needed to be brought back in step. Don't make his age an issue and it won't be. There are people older than Keenan on here that are learning about these cars just as much as he is and they don't get lectured.

Instead do what my parents and mentors did. They offered the advice and when I didn't take it they sat back and watched. Then all I would here after my screw up or failure was "I told you so" and then nothing more. Those lessons are now imprinted better than any other. It also made me really appreciate their advice. Its a part of growing up and it cannot be forced.

Just my $.02 though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

I do remeber being 17. Still feel like it and act like it sometimes. And you're right Shawn. I did what I wanted to and learned the lessons. It's only natural. I listened and heard most of the time too. Some of that sunk in imediately, some of it took a few years, some of it, I'm still working on. Sounds like life to me.

True, not everyone responds well to army - style instructions. Including Me. I've always tended to want to try it myself, and learn from my own mistakes. I've made many. I'm a better person because of most of it too.

But, We are (in my case really only sort of - even at 33) the older guy's here. A little wiser (not much, and in some cases - I'd feel the same way as Keenan does about these types of posts), a little older, and been through this stuff before. We are offering advise that might not make it yet, but in years... Even Keenan will start to know why, how, and from where the info/guidance we've tried to give comes from.

But for now. I'll try to continue helping if I can and where I can. I do remember being 17. Wish I'd had some of the info Keenan has now at that age.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Keenan, buddy. No offense intended man. I can't wait to hear the "it was a good drive" post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Remember 17? You mean I'm not still 17? (looking at driver's licence) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Dang, when did I get to be 45?

kbash

Jedi Trainee
O she tryed setting me on a limit of 20 dollars but I went over.
Got a really cool Irish Shirt she liked. Made a big choclate looking box to but it in,shaped like a heart.

Then I bought her a dozen roses.