• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

copper brake pipe lengths

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
It's illegal in the U.S., and just plain dangerous to use copper for brake lines. I assume these are for somthing VERY old and rare.
Are you looking for the parts themselves or just the specifications? I'm not sure what you're asking.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
Many vendors in the UK sell these - check out a mag like Practical Classics or Classic Car. BTW, what the Brits call copper brake pipes are actually a copper-nickel alloy, so much stronger than true copper tubing, and much more corrosion resistant than steel. Commonly used on LBCs in the UK.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,
pure copper brake pipes are and have been used for a long time in the U.K.. They have a British Standards approval and are safe. It doesn't really answer your question, Chris, and I don't know if you appreciate what a big question it is.

Alec

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Guess I learn something new everyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I still don't think I like the idea though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Banjo,

why not?, the tubing is thick walled, the only proviso is that it needs more securing than the original steel tubing. That and brass unions make it a fit and forget installation. And if you need to change a cylinder, flexible or caliper, the union will not be seized solid as often happened with the steel.
The original steel would corrode, often in places that were not easily seen and that was dangerous. I am quite happy with single circuit brakes using copper lines, silicone brake fluid and stainless steel braided hoses.

Alec

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Copper vs steel lines. A very controversial subject.
Several materials have been / are being used for brake piping.
First & worst is regular copper. Copper work hardens with vibration & flexing & fatigue cracks. Not good for brake or fuel lines. It has not been used in the USA for many years.

Low carbon annealed steel has been used for many years. It is not subject to fatigue failure but has rust & corrosion problems.

Various coatings have been used to protect the steel, such as, copper & tin plating. A typical brand is "Bundy"

A 90% copper - 10% nickel alloy (UNS C70600) has been used in Europe for many years. It has the fatigue resistant qualities of steel & very high corrosion resistance. I don't know whether present US car manufacturers & racing organizations are sanctioning It's use or not.

The confusion may be between copper, copper plated steel, & 90/10 copper - nickel. The all appear to be somewhat copper color & all contain copper.
D

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Dave has voiced my concerns clearer than I could have. Although you said they were thick walled and are secured better. That is probably the key. Over here across the pond if you hear of someone with copper brake lines, it's some idiot that went to the hardware store and got some copper tubing, then installed it on his 89 Chevy truck and was killed in the accident when the line ruptured or cracked. Another famous blunder is using compression fittings.
These worries change when your talking about non power assist vintage systems. So I guess I can see how you would feel comfortable with a setup that was designed into that vehicle and has proven itsself for a long time.
here's to history /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Banjo,

I don't have a vintage car, it's a 1968 Triumph sedan and it has a servo set up on the brakes, i.e. power assisted.
Automec, who sell kits and components, are an old established company and must have supplied thousands of customers in the many years they have been trading. Certainly, I have never heard any concerns voiced in the U.K. regarding the use of pure copper brake lines.
I have fitted them to all my cars for the past 20 plus years, which included an Aston DB5 which I owned for about 15 years.

Alec

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I have installed Automec lines on triumphs before. BUT.. They are not pure copper, they are an alloy,(it's explained on the box the set comes in) like dave was talking about. I'm not arguing with you guys, It's just somthing that was taught to me working on modern cars, and that's a whole different world.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi BJ,
I found this reference. It does verify your statement.
D
--------------------------------
"The copper lines sold in England are not pure copper. They are actually
CuproNickel alloy known as Monel in the marine trade. Niftiest metal known
to man. Virtual impervious to corrosion, does not work harden or suffer
crevice corrosion like stainless steel. Very expensive metal. Don't think
it can be welded, however. Pure copper lines are a big no no in Hydraulic
systems. Think the stuff work hardens from vibration and cracks causing
extreme embarassment."
------------------------------