• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

brake pipe copper straps

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has a source for these copper straps holding the brake pipes to the axle.
thanks
mark

Attachments

• 24447.jpg
    24447.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 290

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That looks so nice and clean!

I admit that I wound up just using zip ties.

OP
M

markberry

Jedi Trainee
drooartz said:
That looks so nice and clean!

I admit that I wound up just using zip ties.

definately doesn't look anything like mine!

Country flag
Someone found a source and posted it before.

19Sprite65

I wasn't sure my original brass straps were salvagable so I ordered two from VB. They sent me two nylon straps big enough for a 6" furnace pipe! With TLC I cleaned and polished the originals and it was well worth the work. Several items from my last VB order were sub-par; will be choosey with them in the future.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I have pulled several cars apart lately and have never (as far as I can tell) seen one of those straps that was brass, they have all been aluminum. ????
BillM

Healeysince59

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I did my TD, the originals were steel and the replacements I got from Moss were brass and looked exactly like the ones in Marks post. That was about 5 years ago,

Marv J

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
MM in the US lists part 181-900 for various applications as "strap to axle housing". Not clear from the pic but could be the right part?

It is not listed for Sprites or Midgets but for MGTD,C,F etc and various TR's and maybe an MG. If its brass then should work.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Look at page 8 in this catalog (maybe page 10 in the PDF).

https://www.restorationstuff.com/RSC26.pdf

I bought a pair of these. They are an exact match to the original. My problem is that, as hard as I tried, I could not get them installed the way the originals were installed (looped first tightly around the oil pipe then around the axle housing. I needed another 1/2" to make it work. The problem was my inability not the product itself.

dfwip

I ordered these some time ago from Moss UK.
NOT the same as factory part. Did not use them.

Paul

OP
M

markberry

Jedi Trainee
19Sprite65 said:
I wasn't sure my original brass straps were salvagable so I ordered two from VB. They sent me two nylon straps big enough for a 6" furnace pipe! With TLC I cleaned and polished the originals and it was well worth the work. Several items from my last VB order were sub-par; will be choosey with them in the future.

I won't buy anything from that company for the same reason.
thanks everyone for your responses!

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
My origional straps were also aluminum, I also ordered the VB and they were plastic, I must say however in their defense I have ordered a lot of items from them and a very large percentage have been what I expected and when not they cheerfully refunded me so I have been satisfied. Between Moss and VB I have not seen a huge problem or difference, VB is sometimes a little less expensive.

Mark

19Sprite65

I don't want to run down anyone's business. I was really disappointed with a couple items. I did get a pair of wing mirrors that I like real well and were dirt cheap. These did excede my expectations since I usually get what I pay for.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The straps are supose to be alum. and yes there is a source but I'll be darned if I remember. Some one like Clark spares or such.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jack

It's the one I posted above. I got the source from you a couple of years ago.

OP
M

markberry

Jedi Trainee
19Sprite65 said:
I don't want to run down anyone's business. I was really disappointed with a couple items. I did get a pair of wing mirrors that I like real well and were dirt cheap. These did excede my expectations since I usually get what I pay for.

I really don't want to run anyone's business down either, but It helps others who may be looking for the same parts to know what to expect from certain suppliers. Often the parts diagrams that the mail order suppliers use are the original factory drawings, however the reproduction parts that are supplied don't even come close to what the picture looks like. Now I have to either live with it, throw it away or pay postage to return it for my refund (obviously not worth the expense or trouble in this case). I can understand that some items just aren't worth "tooling up" to reproduce due to cost vs. demand issues, but don't throw a couple of zip ties in a bag and mail them to some poor guy because you think it's a suitable substitute and [he] should understand that the original type item is not sourceable. I will say that this particular supplier's parts are usually less expensive than the other suppliers out there And I believe I bought the floor pans from them and found them to be as good as any other sheet metal parts I'd bought.
thanks again for your responses!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Ray, I had forgotten about them.