• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bending Brake Pipe Without A Special Tool

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I am assembling the parts needed to repair my front driver's side brake system, wheel bearings and sway bar. I sourced a replacement 16P used caliper, and bought the short length of steel brake line that goes between the caliper and the brake hose from Victoria British. I also have the pistons from the old caliper (extracted with compressed air), and a new seal kit, also from VB.

This brake line has fitments on each end, and is straight.

I need to bend it into a U shape, but know that if I'm not careful I will crush the pipe. Do I need a special tool, or can I improvise a tool? And what operational tips do you have for me?

Thanks!

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Sounds like you need a tube bender. I don't know how you will bend a u with out the tube bender. They don't cost much, you may find one at WalMart or Big Lots. Good luck.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Julian,
A small pipe bending tool is inexpensive and a good investment. I tape the old pipe to the new at the connector and (using the tool) replicate the bends. Pretty easy.
I've done it by hand before too but you have to finesse the job and a bad bend is hard to fix properly and a built in weak spot.

roofman

Jedi Knight
They sell these in different sizes and you will need the smaller one.

R

RonMacPherson

One tip, I have found that if I pack sand into the pipe, before bending it helps lessen the possibility of a "kink" irregardless of tubing bender used..

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I've yet to kink a brake pipe, and I've never used either a dedicated tool, nor have I filled the pipe with sand. The trick is simply to use whatever you might find lying about as a "mandrel" rather than bending it "freehand"! Tight bends can be done by forming the brake pipe around a steel or copper pipe, and bigger bends can be done around various sizes of glass bottles or pretty much anything solid and round.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Julian, There is also a spring wound tube bender. They come in various sizes and work great! Choose the proper size, slide the tubing into it and bend the whole spring. The spring slides off easily when done. No distortion to the tubing, And, their cheap! Of course, if your bending stainless, eat your Wheaties first or get a vise held bender.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]One tip, I have found that if I pack sand into the pipe, before bending it helps lessen the possibility of a "kink" irregardless of tubing bender used..[/QUOTE]

Ronnie, you're showing your age again.........

Twosheds

Darth Vader
RonMacPherson said:
One tip, I have found that if I pack sand into the pipe, before bending it helps lessen the possibility of a "kink" irregardless of tubing bender used..

Note:

Remove sand before installing tube.

R

RonMacPherson

Hey, I'se older than dirt.....

Now, forgot to mention, gotta make sure the sand is not from Puerto Rico.... seems liek their sand has been "pedroized"... :crazyeyes:

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Many thanks for all the advice. Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight is in order :smile: