• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Confused about Bugeye windshield to body seal.

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
I read a couple of posts that had pictures of a wide seal that seems to go under the Bugeye windshield frame where it sits on the body. The only thing that I see listed in the catalogs is a small seal that I believe goes directly under the windshield frame. The pictures seem to show a extra seal that is wide. Are the two seals under the Bugeye windshield frame?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Only one for windshield to body. For BE Moss 680-870

OP
J

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, Jack. That makes it a lot easier. it's not like I 'm going to do a lot of driving in the rain anyway.

Country flag
I think the seal for the 9-stud windshield is different. Be sure you have the correct seal.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All Bugeyes are the same for windshield to body seal.

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
I believe that Trevor is referring to Moss's part number 680-875 windshield to body seal for BEs up to 5476.

The replacement seal I put on last summer, which is the 680-870 that Jack mentioned, seemed to extend toward the front of the car maybe 1/4 inch or more toward the front of the car than the original. I had to trim a bit around the windshield wiper bezels, but when it was all said and done it looked great.

Think I used something like a butter knife to pry it into place--it went in just a tiny bit at a time--and a lot of dishwashing liquid. It took a lot of time. Gather your patience together it is a powerful tool.

Charlie

Country flag
Correct Charlie, NOT ALL bugeyes use the same windshield to body seal.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
the other hint I can give to installing the gasket is to flair the end cuts out toward the front of the car. I cut mine square, and there is a small void next to the pillar attachment to the body at the front.
Scott in CA

StarkM

Freshman Member
Here is a photographic illustration of the differences between the 2 BE seals.

The BE had a different glass frame and pillars from (c)5477 on which deleted 7 of the hood (soft top) fasteners.

680-875 is the earlier (c)501-5476
680-870 is the later (c) 5477-on
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hope that helps.

OP
J

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the pictures, Matt. It seems that I have the correct part for once. Jim

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
When mounting stick a wooden tongue blade under the seal and move it along across the length of the frame, it will help flatten the seal out and keep it from not laying properly and not scratch your paint.

Mark

nomad

Yoda
I rolled the front lip of the seal under to get a good windshield to body seal. Also a little clear silicone sealer carefully applied stops the leaks. There is a thin clear silicone windshield sealer available under the brand name Permatex. VB advertises it but your local auto parts store can get it if they don't already have it.

Kurt.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh my goodness, the front lip seal is suppose to be out/forward. No sealer should be necessary at all.

nomad

Yoda
Agree Jack, but my car is'nt as nice as yours. PO installed the windshield and rolling the seal under seemed to be the best way to seal it. The glass is pretty good but glass to frame seal is original and car came from So Cal smog exiistance. The rubber around the glass is hard as concrete and has cracks in it that would allow little steams of water to run down the inside in a rain. The Permatex thin silicone stopped the leaks and made the rubber actually look like rubber again. Also sealed up a couple other small leaks and is'nt really even visible unless you look close.

Kurt.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahh, misunderstood, that sealer is great glass to frame. In fact we used it a lot back in the 60 and 70s for that same purpose. At the time came in a very liquid form.