• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Confused about stalks

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I'm a little confused about which switches are on the steering column of a TR6, and which are on the dash.

In particular, for a '71 car, the windscreen wiper control is a switch on the dash (correct?) and the turn indicator is a stalk switch on the steering column. Is that on the right hand side of the column, or on the left?

If there is a stalk on both sides of the column, is one of them the overdrive switch, and if so, which?

I think what is confusing me is that perhaps later cars had the overdrive and wipers and indicators operated by three stalks on the column?

Can someone please put me out of my misery?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Did you know TRF sells reprints of TR6 owner's manuals for the various years ? Good thing to have, IMO.

Turn signal stalk should be on the left for US-spec TR6. OD switch (if fitted) is a separate stalk on the left. (The plastic nacelle also changed for the extra stalk.)

For a 71, I believe the headlight main switch is the stalk on the right; and the windscreen wipers and washers are separate rocker switches on the dash, to the left of the column. Headlight dimmer switch is a push-push foot pedal.

In typical British fashion, both the OD and light switch move down for "on".

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Thanks Randall: yes, I've ordered one of the owner's manuals.

Would you expect any difference to the placement of these controls for a car built in Belgium? The thing is, the car I'm looking at has a commission # starting 1CP and ending LP, which suggests a fuel injected car. I thought all the PI cars had overdrive as standard, but the car in question has only two stalks on the column, and the wiper/washer switches on the dash. Perhaps the overdrive was simply removed.

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
The commission number should have a suffix of O if it had overdrive. According to Piggott's book, the Belgian cars had a P in the suffix that North American cars did not. So a Belgian car would have the suffix of LPO if it had overdrive from the factory; LP if no overdrive. It sounds like this car did not have overdrive from the factory.

Bryan

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gifI don't believe overdrive was ever "standard", it was just a much more popular option outside the US. It was sometimes added by dealers (so the 'O' is not always a reliable guide to how the car was delivered), but lack of the 'O' combined with lack of the switch & housing would sure seem to indicate your car never had OD.

It's quite possible to add OD even at this late date; but since it's such a popular conversion, the parts tend to be a bit expensive. Another option is a conversion to a 5-speed Toyota transmission using a kit developed and sold by a local club member, Herman van den Akker. But it's still not cheap.

Looking at TRF's parts catalog, there may be something different about the main lighting switch on your Belgian car. But the turn and OD switches appear to be the same part number for both LHS and "US-spec", so I would expect them to be in the same locations and work the same.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
BryanC said:
The commission number should have a suffix of O if it had overdrive. According to Piggott's book, the Belgian cars had a P in the suffix that North American cars did not. So a Belgian car would have the suffix of LPO if it had overdrive from the factory; LP if no overdrive. It sounds like this car did not have overdrive from the factory.

Bryan

Ok thanks guys ... I can't remember where I have read that O/D was always fitted on the PI cars.