• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye turn indicator or signal...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
OK, so one of the "charming" features of a Frogeye is the central toggle switch as the turn indicator switch. Charming? If you're like me, you've fogotten to turn it off on occasion. I do this MUCH too often and the green turn indicator light above the steering column isn't super bright (in the daylight). So, I'm wondering...

Has anybody ever seen some sort of multi-second momentary switch? Didn't think so.

So, what about installing a little, low-draw piezo buzzer (horn or bell) that rings with the blinking indicator light. I think there are 12 volt sirens/buzzers/bells of various types a Radio Shack. I wouldn't have to be loud, but one would certainly remember that it was on.

What thinkest you? Is this a good idea or what?
:smile:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Someone here did that quite some time ago with a radio shack buzzer I think.

But wait. "you are old your turn signals are suppose to blink."

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

nomad

Yoda
Mark, if you are like me and others who drive there BE regularly it will become so second nature to turn them on and off that you will catch yourself reaching for the center of the dash in every vehicle you get into. As a lover of the KISS priciple(Keep It Simple Stupid!) I think the turn signal on a BE is one of it's most endearing design's. Rates right up with the fuel indicator light in my first british car, MG TC. All they had was a warning light that came on when you had about 50 miles of gas left. Worked great and I never ran out of gas!

Kurt.

Country flag
I don't reach for the toggle switch in my daily car, but I frequently reach for it in my '70 Midget.

Look at a street rod catalog, they have all sorts of turn signal switch solutions.

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
jlaird said:
But wait. "you are old your turn signals are suppose to blink."

Yeeaaah! :jester:

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
When I rewired my car I used an LED in the indicator lamp. It is very bright--particularly at night--It is hard to miss.

My problem is that I forget to turn it on, not off.

Charlie

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks all. Yes, it is becoming second nature... but slowly. I really like the old one on the Healey 100-4 right there on the steering (that returned).

I might consider an LED in the indicator light, and I think I'll try a test of a small, pleasant-sounding, chime (like a doorbell - that I could cover to make it reasonably quiet but useful). I'll report back. :yesnod:

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Interesting. One could use an illuminated, TIMED switch (sort of a momentary thing that activates a timer). Must stew on this. Thanks.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Modern cars have a timer as well as the centering thing. Three min I believe.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I've stewed on the idea of a timing circuit of sorts that would set off a loud buzzer after X Seconds if the turn signal was not turned off as a reminder. Just did not have the technical know how to design and connect. I'm sure something like this is already out there.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
ha, try Pep Boys.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My setup to be aware of the blinker was simply to wire a Radio Shack buzzer/siren in parallel with the blinker lamp. Don't have to turn the alarm off later since it only sounds when the bulb is lit. My first attempt at this was with too wimpy a buzzer and it didn't over ride my engine noise so I am now using a louder one but I didn't keep track of the part number. I can't see when the bulb lights because with my new smaller Moto Lita steering wheel my view of it is blocked.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nelson, do you remember which buzzer from Radio Shack you are using? It seems like there are a number of them.

Jim, I like your idea too. Should be easy to build a 555 timer ciruit that sets off a 12v buzzer. I'm going to think about this too.

Thanks.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The RS number is 273-070 and it is quite loud. At first I used a series resistor to soften the sound but now I have removed the resistor and let it blast. It alternates between two tones and you can't not hear it. I mounted it on a piece of perf board and then used one of the speedometer studs as a fastening location.

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Just another point of view, here. Setting aside the safety issues involved in not shutting off my blinker...

In my daily life I have wife, parents, a child, and a half dozen bosses I can count on to let me know if I don't meet their expectations. :nonono: Driving my Bugeye is one of the few periods of time in my life when I can leave that behind.

It seems to me that installing a buzzer to remind me to turn off the turn signal simply automates the process of being nagged, and by the very device I have selected to reduce stress in my life. Do I really need this?? :nonod:

Turning off the binker is just a bit of learned behavior, like pushing in the clutch when you shift gears. If I guess if I thought this was really important I would rig up a device that would give me a piece of candy when I turned off the blinker. Since that would be rather complicated it seems more likely I would simply ask my wife or daughter to ride along and to give me the candy when I turned the turn signal off.

Pretty soon I would not only remember to turn it off (although I would also start salivating as soon as I turned on the blinker). I might even turn more often that I needed to.

By the same token, if the wife or daugher didn't complain during the drive, I would give them the candy too. :laugh:

Remember, turning off the blinkers is just a learned behavior--and <span style="font-style: italic">positive reinforcement</span> is the most powerful kind.

:savewave:
Charlie

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nelson said:
The RS number is 273-070 and it is quite loud. At first I used a series resistor to soften the sound but now I have removed the resistor and let it blast. It alternates between two tones and you can't not hear it. I mounted it on a piece of perf board and then used one of the speedometer studs as a fastening location.

Thanks.

And, yes, I can get used to it... but because I drive the car so infrequently (this time of year), I find it VERY easy to forget. If I drove it every day, I'm sure it would become habit.