• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye transmission options?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
My synchro on the second gear is a little worn, but acceptable. As I went to look at parts for a future rebuild, I found that most parts for the smooth transmission are not available. What do you do when the transmission has to be rebuilt with no parts available? My first choice is to rebuild this transmission. I find NOS occasionally for the transmission. Besides the 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and reverse gears, what other parts would I need to do a rebuild at a later date? What other transmissions would work that would have more readily available parts? Any information is appreciated.
Kevin

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
You have many options, depends on what you care to do. You can repair your box but that will take a while to find the parts, or you can run with a ribbed case. However if you run ribbed case gear box you will have to change the backing plate because it’s thicker. If you want the car to look genuine the smooth case can be modified to accept the late model gear set. You could run a 210 box with the adapter, or a ford type 9 with some frame modifications. You may like to have a racing box like the CRSC Taylor. All of the boxes that have been describe listed in order of cost. It all depends on what your intentions are with the car and how much you want to spend.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
There ain't no 4th gear. Its just a straight lock of the input to the output shaft. Still, new gears are expensive when you find them and subject to the same failure as the old ones. The 210 with the adapter works good, like blue max said and if you are not worried about the OD then 4 speeds are not as sought after and I have seen them around for good prices. It would be about the same as the old transmission except no crunchy Mowog shifting. Hap has the kit for the European ford change over(T9)and having driven the Ford Sierra over in England that this one comes out of, the shift feel is much closer to the Mowog because the gears on the shifter are closer together like the BMC cars. There was also a kit in England to use some year Toyota Celica transmission as well, but I have not seen that one here. My last visit there was in 1999 but the celica one was preferred by guys who did rally racing in spridgets.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the information. I am still leaning toward stock. It seems like the most obvious gear to wear is second gear. I don't suppose there is someone who could come up with a list of parts I would need to find for a rebuild? I had thought about getting a spare smooth case transmission, taking it in to a transmission shop, and then asking the shop for what I need. Anyone know a source for a smooth case spare?
Kevin

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nice to hear from you, Charlie. Thanks for the tip. It would work, but it looks like they have local pick up only. Another member wrote to me and may have one for sale, so I will see where that goes first.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kevin, the thing to be careful of with Sprite transmissions is that it is very difficult to see by looking in an open side case what is condition of the transmission gears. Also, it has been a long time that the parts have not been available for the smoothcase, and as a result their condition usually is poor. In saying all that, I think the only think that makes sense is for you to have a professional rebuild either what you have (preferred) or to buy another core and have that rebuilt. I know you want to stay original, so I would recommend that your smoothcase be rebuilt with ribcase inernals by a pro.
Good luck,
Scott in CA

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I have a ribbed case in decent condition that I replaced with a 5 speed. I have never torn into a smooth case but the problem with the rib case was the gears were fine, but the cone part had a brake/clutch type material on it that meets the brass rings to synchronize the gear and the material was worn off. New gears with that stuff on them is expensive. The reason it happens to 2nd is that people gear down to turn in some where and aren't easy about it and it wears the material off. Same with 3rd but not as bad.
I went to a place that redoes the lining on clutches and brakes and they couldn't help me.

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
HI Kevin. Sorry I didn't notice the fine print. Good luck--someone switched mine to a 1275 engine with a ribcase. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about it for awhile.

You could always PM that guy and see if he would help you out for the right price. Of course, as others have mentioned buying something sight unseen might not be the best idea.
Charlie

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Kevin,
Check out ebay, craigs list helper, all the usual suspects. I've bought 2 this summer and one ended up being an sccr ribcase in perfect condition, $75 + shipping. There are lots of deals out there and they are cheap to ship. If I still had an extra you would be welcome to it.
Rut

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
TOC, it is like the LBC curse. Something always happens just before I want to go to an event. My bugeye was running great until the the day before the meeting.(I still haven't got it figured out yet.) I have missed every car show and meeting for the past two years now. My luck has to change eventually.
Kevin