• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Another TRip

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey y-all.
I know I haven't been posting much since my last trip or two -or TR3 failure or two. But, I do read the forum several times a week. Occasionally if I think I have something to add, I will, but I don't log in very often. Know that I am thinking about our hobby and the other knuckleheads dedicated to it.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this picture taken last week at our club autocross at the police academy. My car was in good form and I feel I drove it well -even if the police Explorer beat my time. As an extra bonus this year I did not need to be taken home on a flat bed. Actually, for Easter, I plan to pick up my wife at the airport, in Pittsburgh Pa, in the TR3. According to Google, it's 1,350 miles from here so I will leave earlier than she does. The odd thing about this trip, is this time I think the car will make it without any problems. The odometer shows I've put a little over 20,000 miles on it and I think it's done breaking in. -I don't know what might break next, but keep me in your positive thoughts.

While I'm rambling, I'd like to say how much I've enjoyed catching up on the last 2 years of Johns (CJD) life with his TR2. Somehow, until last week, I never read that thread. Reading it from beginning to end, required me to also look thru all my old pictures. I wish that thread was there when I was doing my body work. Even then, John tried to explain shrinking/stretching and I still don't get it. The work is incredible and the documentation is amazing. Thank you John.

Jerry

Attachments

• TR3Wheeler.jpg
    TR3Wheeler.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 157

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hey Jerry, have a great TRip and drive safe!

Cheers
Tush

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Nice picture - love the sense of g-force lifting the wheel off the ground! Way to use the car the way it was meant to be used.

Dan

Country flag
Jerry, if you need some car connections when you get to Pittsburgh, let me know. I am a transplant from there and now that I live in Chicago, I knows a guy what knows a guy.... :smile: Safe trip and remember - without pictures, it didn't happen!! :D

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
jer

Have a safe trip and keep all 4 wheels on pavement! That is a cool shot there!

randy

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks, all.

That picture was extracted from a digital camera shooting about 30 frames per second. Since 8 of the frames clearly show the wheel in the air, I was three wheeling for about 1/4 of a second. Trying to time that photograph is very unlikely. It's odd that the video taken from my GoPro mounted above the windshield barely shows any body roll, while the video taken from the spectators view, shows a lot. The amount of force on the front left stub axle has to be significantly higher than normal. If I didn't have the picture(s) to prove it, I wouldn't believe it.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I shouldn't have jinxed myself.
I am at my moms in Pa but the tr3 is in Cincinnati with a frozen Kubota alternator bearing.
I hope I can get one overnighted on Monday.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Jerry

Why did you go with the Kubota alternator and what model did you use?

Maybe the TR engine compartment runs hotter than Kubota are use to.

David

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I went with the Kubota model 12190 for several reasons. The pully is easily swapped with the one from an old generator. It is small, both physically and ability. 30amps is more current that my Tr3 should ever need. Mounting is not vey complicated. I hoped it was rugged enough.

Since I installed the generator pulley onto the alternator, which is larger than the original, I think it's not turning too fast. Also, the unit was working fine at highway speeds and lasted about 5,000 miles. I think the bearings overheated in the last 30minutes while stuck in stop-n-go traffic after a 6 hour drive. Generally, alternators or generators have a fan behind the pulley to cool the unit. This one does not have a fan and the larger pulley possibly limits air flow. And pulling air from the hot manifold probably doesn't cool it much. I am considering installing a metal thermal snap switch on the rear of the alternator and wiring it to control the pusher fan in front of the radiator. This may also help to keep the fuel from boiling in the carbs since cool air will be brought in thru the radiator and hopefully cool the area around the alternator and carbs automatically. I think I am experiencing problems due to heat build up under the hood. But I am guessing.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here is a quick trip update -not that it's 'over'.

Tuesday morning I drove 5.5 hours to where my car was in Cincinnati. I arrived moments after the new Kubota alternator that my pal in Houston sent overnight -since he hadn't installed his yet. I picked up a new fan belt ordered from the local Oriley's and some coolant. I drilled the alternator housing pivot bolt hole to accept the non-metric grade 8 I installed in Houston. I also drilled and re-tapped the alternator housing tension bolt to allow for the grade 8 installed in Houston. Apparently the alternator (old generator) pulley spun on the shaft at some point (before or after the bearings seized), and developed a tall ridge on the inside edge. If not removed, this ridge would dig into the center of the bearing of the new alternator -and not allow enough threads to secure it. Since I didn't have another pulley with me, I ground off the ridge, trying to flatten it as much as possible. I installed the washer between the bearing and pulley, some loc-tite on shaft and threads, and used an impact to secure the nut/pulley.

I had difficulty getting the new belt between the plastic fan blades and steering/etc but after significant wrestling and bruising I managed to win that battle. I mounted the alternator with the same kludge parts as I took off, knowing that I may be off a little due to grinding the pulley. The new belt was much too short. In order for the tension bolt to enter the tension slot of the top bracket, a long pry bar and much effort would be needed to stretch the belt. Since I didn't have another belt, I decided it was better to remove the tension arm from the water pump and drill a new hole between the slot and mounting hole. The tension arm bolt broke off inside the water pump. At this point I moved the car from the parking lot to the front of the shop bay so the air tools could reach. After gripping the few exposed threads between the water pump and head and turning until they hit into the head, my new best friend used a cut-off wheel on a die grinder to cut a slice off the back of the threaded portion, but leaving enough to grip with vice grips. This process repeated a few times until the entire bolt was removed from the water pump. He chased the water pump threads with a new bolt. I drilled the hole I marked in the alternator tension arm and put it back on the car. The alignment looked ok. I started the engine and watched the ammeter go positive.

By now it was about 6pm, both mechanics had left for the day, the shop owner was more than patient, but I knew he'd rather see me on my way. He followed me 25 minutes to the airport (in Kentucky) to drop off the rental, and drove me back to the shop. This is the same man who saw me stranded on the highway, offered his shop as a place to tow my TR3, helped remove the alternator, tried to source a new one, and drove me to the airport to get a rental car. What a great Samaritan. Didn't charge me a cent.

I thanked him and we bid farewell. I started my 18 hour test drive after making a few phone calls and texts to family and worried friends. I drove the 6 hours to Nashville watching the temperature and ammeter closely and paying special attention to any odd smells that might be like a belt burning. I looked under the hood at every stop. Wednesday I drove from Nashville from Houston without any issues -another 12 hours. Hardly any rain, but often on wet roads. I suppose the TR3 has made another 1,100 mile trip successfully, but somehow I'm not as confident as I was just before I broke down in Cincinnati.

Now that I'm home, I compared the fan belt numbers. The number on the broken belt is the exact number of the new one. The wrapper from the belt also gives dimensions and I happen to have the old and new wrappers. The dimensions are not the same. Both are Gates Truck and Belt TR28386, but marked with different width and length. One almost works but I'd hate to have another bearing freeze on a long trip because of a belt that's way too tight and didn't stretch fast enough.

My mom and I had a happy Easter and hope you-all did too.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Another memorable trip! I have broken down in 38 of the 50 states...always an adventure with the old cars.

Glad to have you back in Texas!

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Another memorable trip! I have broken down in 38 of the 50 states...always an adventure with the old cars.

Glad to have you back in Texas!

I love 38 out of 50. I've got to share that with Model A Ford friend who has had his car on AAA FLAT-BEDS in 9 states. He's got a lot of catching up to do.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here is a picture of the alternator taken apart. The only thing I can see with any issue, is the front bearing has seized. That little washer above it is all that's left of the front bearing seal. The rear bearing spins freely. Interesting to note are the fan blades on the front and rear (internally) -and it has 8 diodes/4 coils. I ordered a replacement bearing and will see if the unit functions properly after it is installed. Why would only 1 bearing fail?

Attachments

• AltApart.jpg
    AltApart.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 86

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Overloaded, overheated, or a manufacturing flaw...would be my guesses. Everything else does look really good!