• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Another seat belt question

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I know seatbelts were a dealer installed item in the early cars so I doubt it makes a difference, but should the female buckle strap be mounted next to the trans tunnel or on the outside.? I looked thru Google images and most of my books only to find that there was no consistency on mounting. My idea is to mount the female strap to the trans tunnel side to minimize any possible paint damage if the buckle contacted the paint on the outside of the car, or sill. Since I think I know how I want to do this it's a silly question, but any feedback is appreciated.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That's the way I installed mine. The maleis also shorter, so less chance it will drag the ground when your passenger forgets to bring it in the car.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Well I just finished a road trip with my pals and from a practical point of view I now recommend female or longer side to the tunnel. My buddy was in front of me in his 3A when we were cruising about 60 - he noticed his belt was pinched between the door and the seat and opened his door - the belt fell out, hit the pavement, then the receiver part was caught by the rear wheel. Receiver promptly detached from the belt, and I took an evasive move to the right as it sailed past me on the highway...

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I just mounted a fresh set this week and (like others) put the longer, heavier female side on the tunnel for all the reasons stated.

BTW -- I got them from these guys who seem to have most everything (though all I needed was basic black): https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well I just finished a road trip with my pals and from a practical point of view I now recommend female or longer side to the tunnel. My buddy was in front of me in his 3A when we were cruising about 60 - he noticed his belt was pinched between the door and the seat and opened his door - the belt fell out, hit the pavement, then the receiver part was caught by the rear wheel. Receiver promptly detached from the belt, and I took an evasive move to the right as it sailed past me on the highway...

See there...he should have queried the BCF before he installed his!

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks guy's that's the way I'll do it. Quick reaction Randy. Did the guy who lost the belt have any damage to the mounting point on his car? It had to be a good jolt to tear the belt.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Quick reaction Randy. Did the guy who lost the belt have any damage to the mounting point on his car? It had to be a good jolt to tear the belt.

Keith it caught my attention but I didn't have to move much - fortunately the tire kicked it nearly straight back so I only had to move slightly. The mishap may have been a blessing in disguise, the seatbelts were getting old and perhaps the material was weaker - no damage at all to the body mount point. Here's a pic of the remains:
IMG_0683 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
From that picture you can sure see how it could happen. I'm glad there was no damage to either car.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I know seatbelts were a dealer installed item in the early cars so I doubt it makes a difference, but should the female buckle strap be mounted next to the trans tunnel or on the outside.? I looked thru Google images and most of my books only to find that there was no consistency on mounting. My idea is to mount the female strap to the trans tunnel side to minimize any possible paint damage if the buckle contacted the paint on the outside of the car, or sill. Since I think I know how I want to do this it's a silly question, but any feedback is appreciated.

I went with the male buckle on the outside and the blade female on the tunnel.This seems opposite what most of you guys did.My reason was the short blade side is to short to lay on floor in front of seat and was always between the seat and door,on the sill.With the male on the outside I can extent the belt as I disconnect and lay the buckle on the floor in front of the seat.Tom