• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A question for one of you bugeye owners

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I hope to begin work in earnest on my bugeye bonnet. Its going to take some time and need some metal patches welded in etc. One thing that also needs to be fixed is that there is a support running down each side and this has rusted loose and the part that goes down toward the arches is loose and spung out.
I have to repair this but I need to know the exact distance from side to side. Any of you who have the forward tilt, what is the distance from radius piece to radius piece at the bottom.
I hope this makes sense.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Kim,

Is it possible to post a picture annotated withthe dimensions you are looking for? We also might be able to provide some repair suggestions.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kim, can always call me and I will get em soon as I understand what is is you need. 850 897 8959

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
OK, this is a fiberglass bonnet but I have arrows pointing to the measurement I need. From outside to outside at these corners, how wide is the original steel sprite bonnet? The supports I was speaking of are in the place of the ligher fiberglass in the picture. The weld had detached at the bottom of each on the bonnet I have and so it is flopping. I need to add some metal and weld it back, but I need that measure to set up a jig made out of wood to lock that in position at the proper distance. It would also be nice to have the measurement from one of these corners to the front front end at the inside lip right near the beading. Mine had also had some front end contact and the fender wells are wrinkled a bit and I need to weld in a support piece to get thes back in the correct position. Thanks everyone. :smile:
hoodmeasure.png

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Kim, if I understand correctly you want to keep the sides of the bonnet in place and need braces. The braces on my BE are secured with studs at each end and the brace is slotted for adjustment. I don't know if mine is original or not, but that's the way it's set up. Is that correct?
Rut

Country flag
52 and 1/8" measuring outer to outer.
50 and 1/2" measuring inner to inner.

I suspect there is a large variance among bugeyes.

Country flag
Oh... and yes, mine has slots to adjust the diagonal braces.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Kim,

There's not really a "standard" measurement at that point. The original steel bonnet was equipped with a diagonal rod between the brace down the sides and the top reinforcement where the hinges attach. This will allow for some adjustment so that the wings can be aligned to the A-post and rocker panel. My suggestion would be to use a couple of 2x4's and a level to create a simple frame that will allow you to measure your width at the rockers at that spot.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Ah, so it has diagonal rods across to adjust them in or out. I need to look this over again. It won't be today. My father had a heart problem yesterday and I am headed back to the hospital today. I will look this over again when I get some time. I found this picture of the rods you are talking about. I think mine may have those, but the attachment at the bottom of these braces is either rusted away or broken and I need to get them attached again. Thanks everyone.
157289d1291052319-1959-austin-healey-bugeye-sprite-racecar-4.jpg

Country flag
Just thinking... maybe you could fab up some turn buckle adjustments there. It make teaking it easy.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor that is an excellent thought.I have one side of Bugsy's bonnet that lines up exactly right and the other way off at the top. I've adjusted the rods but need more of an adjustment. I need to cogitate on that one.

Kim,
You're also going to need the wheel arch buffer and the body buffer, Parts 26 & 30 in the MOSS Catalog. Not sure if the wheel arch buffer is needed on a Spridget I'm not using one on Bugsy but the body buffer defines where the bottom back of the bonnet sits in and out in relation to the body. IF your front hinges are adjusted properly the back of the bonnet will rest on these and the rear of the bonnet will have a consistent vertical spacing as well as a consistent horizontal spacing behind the wheel arch with the outer sill. Bugsy also had some damage on his BE Bonnet and I get one side to align perfectly but I've run out of adjustment room to raise the LF of the bonnet to get the correct rear gaps. It's close and works but not perfect. I've learned to live with it.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The factory also bent those sides to fit. Just a bit at a time then lock it with the struts.