• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2.2 watt E10 gauge bulb

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey electrial guys,

The bulb in our gauge lights is a 12 volt 2.2 watt E10 bulb.
I noticed that Radio Shack sells a 14 volt 200mA E10 bulb.

1. would that bulb work being it's a 14 volt?
2. how many watts would that bulb end up being?
3. would its life span be shorter or longer than the 12v 2.2 bulb?

How do you do the conversion?

Thanks,
Roger

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Roger,

14v x .2 amps = 2.8 watts
12v or 14v is the same for our purposes.
So it is
2.2 watts standard as compared to 2.8 watts from radio shack.
It would be safe to try these bulbs.

The bulb life depends on the design and the materials used to make the filament. Perhaps Radio shack has information on the average expected bulb life if you ask them.

Ed

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I've used them from
Raio Shack but never noticed any difference in brightness. Too bad as I was hoping for a brighter lamp. I've used the halogen bulbs also but they're too bright, they light up your shoes pretty well though.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Johnny said:
I've used them from
Raio Shack but never noticed any difference in brightness. Too bad as I was hoping for a brighter lamp. I've used the halogen bulbs also but they're too bright, they light up your shoes pretty well though.

I found the stock 2.2 watt bulb doesn't light up the entire gauge enough. An Led does a much better job, however the light is blueish.

What seems to work well is to install another bulb in the bottom of the gauge. Two 2.2 watt incandescant bulbs fill up the gauge and keeps the off white/yellowish tint.

Here's a photo of back of the speedometer. The top of the gauge shows the factory bulb holder has red/white wire. I added another 2.2 watt bulb in the bottom. That holder is brass, with a red wire which was spliced into the top red/white wire.

Attachments

• 26667.jpg
    26667.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 324
  • 26668.jpg
    26668.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 331
OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Hey, Roger. Only 20 K on your car? You are still breaking her in. Or second cruse around the clock?

That photo was taken back when I was experimenting with different bulbs and how to improve the back lighting.

I have 22,000 miles of fun on her now.

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Roger,
Hope you doing well. I remember a article you wrote a couple of years ago on changing your dash lights over to led lights. Could you tell me how to get a copy of that article. I really got to hand it to you. That was the most informative article I have ever seen on this web sight. As always I appreciate your help.
Bobby R

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
BOBBYR said:
Hi Roger,
Hope you doing well. I remember a article you wrote a couple of years ago on changing your dash lights over to led lights. Could you tell me how to get a copy of that article. I really got to hand it to you. That was the most informative article I have ever seen on this web sight. As always I appreciate your help.
Bobby R

Hi Bobby,
Here's a LINK to it. Thank you for your kind words. Lot's of great article on this site, and I'm glad some people take interest in some of mine.
Cheers,
Roger

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
glemon said:
As an alternative here is a bulb with a little more candlepower, 8w v. 2.2

https://www.elightbulbs.com/Eiko-01281-12V-8W-T3-1-4-Miniature-Automotive-Light-Bulb

Hi glemon,
A 8 watt incandescent bulb sure is brighter, but it produces too much heat. A 5 watt is also a bit to hot. I found a 4 watt to be about the most I'd install.

The problem with putting higher watt bulbs in the speedo and tach is that they get to hot and may melt or start a fire. The other problem is the bulbs at the top only, and the parts in the middle blocks the light from iluminating the bottom of the gauge as equally as the the top. I found a bulb in the top and one in the bottom was best. I did try two 4 watt bulbs and it was too bright for my tastes.

If one is looking for brighter blueish light, then installing LED can't be beat! They don't create any heat and they'll outlast the car!

First photo is two 2.2 watt incandescent bulbs.
Second photo, two 1 watt LED bulbs.

Cheers,
Roger

Attachments

• 26708.jpg
    26708.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 26709.jpg
    26709.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 241

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I would agree your modification is looks like a great idea, I have been searching around on the internet for better light in my TR instruments, I threw out the 8 watt bulbs as an alternative to drilling and extra hole and adding an extra socket for those that don't want to go that far.

I stuck 8 watt bulbs in my big guages and 3w in my small and I am happy, I tried the 8w in just one socket because I too was worried about heat, haven't had problems, others have reported issues though, so your advice for some caution is probably sound.

I have been mucking around with this issue for about a month.

I wanted to go with LED bulbs, but after getting two sets that didn't fit I gave up (first time my mistake, 2nd time bulbs did not match picture/description on the website I ordered from).

I did put a focused (light comes out the front like a flashlight) LED i my turn signal indicator so that I can actually see it flashing in bright sunshine now.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi gelmon,

Have you tried the LED bulb I referenced in my article. Photo of the led bulb from their site below.

Most led's pinpoint their beam forward, whereas that one, radiates about 180. It's really bright, doesn't get hot, screws right in and it's a lot safer than an 8 watt fillament.

I run these led's in my directional's. Nice to be able to see them flash in daylight.
I run two 2.2 watts in my large gauges and single 4 watt's in my two small gauges. I prefer the original off white shade of ilumination.

Cheers,
Roger

Attachments

• 26710.jpg
    26710.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 236