• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Temp Gauge - 74 TR6

EWD

Country flag
Afternoon folks -
Finally got on the road after 2 years, minus the windshield. Just couldn’t wait.
Question - After the engine warmed up, the temp gauge never went beyond the first mark. I checked the temp at the thermostat and sending unit with a laser sensor, and it read 155 and 150 respectively. At this temp and having been run 10 miles, wouldn’t the gauge be reading about in the middle? Wire to sending unit ok. Wiring to voltage stabilizer ok ( new stabilizer). Put in a new sending unit and it does the same thing. Fuel gauge works. Anything else to be checked? Wonder if the gauge is faulty. ( Niswonger wants $135 to rebuild).
Thanks for your thoughts as always,
Will

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
First mark being the first indicator past cold. The gauge increases to this point and then stops.

76TR7

Freshman Member
Country flag
Did you also happen to check your ground wire? Sometimes a weak ground can cause a gauge to function incorrectly. other than that, yeah, your gauge might be needing some love.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The surface temperature you measure with an infrared thermometer is likely to be considerably lower than what a correct gauge reads. The gauge is reading the coolant temp, well inside the coolant flow. The IR thermometer is reading surface temperature.

Second issue: be sure you have a compatible sensor and gauge. Dunno about TR6s, but often there are several different gauge/sensor combos used as the production run progresses. Sometimes the replacement sensors are different from the originals, too.

Of course, be sure that the thermostat is OK.

You might try removing the gauge and sensor, hooking them up with a battery and some wire, and checking the operation in a bath of hot water. I did this with my TR, just to check the calibration. It's worth doing, in any case.

My guess is that you are OK, and the gauge is sticking.

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Thanks guys.
If the gauge is sticking, is there a simple repair? I have cleaned it up and replaced the bezel seal; but that’s about it.
will

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The temp gauge in my ‘73 rarely goes past the first mark.

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Thx. Will try the temp ground wire. Got a new sensor from Moss and it did the same. Drive about 15 miles yesterday and pushed it a bit. Needle went slightly above first mark. I just need to know when I’m in trouble.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
FWIW, the normal operating temperature (NOT) of the TR6 engine coolant is around 180*F
If yours is only 150-155 then maybe you shouldn't expect the gauge to read in the middle of it's range.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
FWIW, the normal operating temperature (NOT) of the TR6 engine coolant is around 180*F
If yours is only 150-155 then maybe you shouldn't expect the gauge to read in the middle of it's range.
As I stated above, the gauge on my '73 TR6 always stays at the first mark that's not to say it never goes higher.
On rare occasions when I'm idling in very hot weather I've seen it go above the first mark and approach the middle mark so I know my gauge works. Maybe you don't have a problem.