• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1963 MkI Midget "Restoration"

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you've followed my thread "Not Knockin' Spridget Guys, but..." you already know I'm prepping my 1963 Midget for the Spridget Golden Anniversary - 50 Years of Spridgets Meet in Missouri in the summer. The little car is pretty sweet already but my last summer drive was the last for its clutch; so, I had already planned to install a new one over the winter months.

63midget001.JPG

I've owned the car since 2002 & have done nothing except normal maintenance while I drove & enjoyed it; thus, I'm not real sure of its full maintenance/repair history....I've got all sorts of records the previous owner gave me with the car and, after some reading of them, I've learned that in 1965 the dealer in Tennessee - who sold it new - replaced the engine under warranty, apparently with a 10CC "big crank 1098" engine with its 12G295 head because that's what I've got...WOO HOO!!! So, while the engin is out for the new clutch is a good time to 'refresh' it.

And I never liked the luggage rack & aftermarket period fender mirror on the car along with the little pieces of stainless trim under the doors; plus, it has a radio antenna mounted but Id alreadt removed the radio....so, all those holes have to be filled.

63midget004.JPG

My bodyman is stopping by tomorrow so we can make a plan to 'refresh' the body - it's straight, the paint is in great shape, all the chrome is straight & doesn't even have any parking lot dings! So, we're gonna end up refreshing the Tartan Red paint.

And while its in the body shop, I'll go through the engine. I dropped the radiator off at the shop today for it to be cleaned, et.al. Today Hap Waldrop & I talked & tomorrow FEDEX picks up my carbs so he can do his magic on them....I'll get them back in about a month! And I already have one of Jeff Schlemmer's rebuilt/recurved distributors for the car...hehehe

Plus, when the car comes home from the body shop, I'll rebuild the suspension and brakes so she'll be roadworthy for all the drives planned during the "50th Meet".

Also, a previous owner installed a Nardi wood steering wheel (which I really like) & glued a thin piece of wood over the dash...while its in the body shop, I'll pull the dash & take it back to original with black vinyl & get rid of the radio hole which I temporarily covered with a radio blanking plate.

63midget002.JPG

So, this afternoon, I removed the seats (perfect black w/white piping) and carpet so we can start disassembly of all the chrome/interior panels/windshield, etc. next week after I pull the engine/transmission (this weekend).

WHEW!! The plan is taking shape.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks, John - we hope to take it to the next level between now & the meet in June....you gonna be there with your Bugeye?

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I would love to come, but since I started my new job in September I haven't touched my Bugeye as I've been so busy, but I want to get back to it soon and the Ozarks is a bit far from upstate NY!

I do hope to get to go to MG2008 in Philly. That will be my big show for the year.

The bugeye, I just hope to get it running for the big birthday celebration!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'll be in upstate New York 25 Feb thru 15 Mar.....Montgomery area.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
PM me when the date gets closer. It would be great to finally meet you!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oh, wait, I'll be in Watertown - farther north than you! Brrrrr

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Oh Watertown! You'll be getting all that lovely lake effect snow. I do go to Syracuse on business so let me know.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You're going to be really happy with that little Midget when you're all done, Tony.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Tony,
I'm excited for you to have such a focus on the Mk. I Midget...great little car.

I have a BRG TR3 that was shot about 12 years ago. The paint was dead, faded, hadn't been touched since the respray. The car sat for the past 8 years with, at most, being turned over every 3-4 months and maybe run a bit. There was a LOT of dust and grime accumulated on the body since it was sitting in the corner of an active shop, not to mention LOTS of cat and dog scratches.

After getting the mechanicals to a point where I felt safe I decided to try bringing the paint back. I had just received a complete polishing kit for my '73 Midget from Griott's Garage including the random orbit polisher. I did the clay after a good hand wash and then two grades of polish. I could not believe the results. Yes, there is a small scratch here and there, but they will be there as well within a couple months anyway on a driver with new paint.

Now, BRG is a little more forgiving than red...but not much. If you had not already decided to remove the parts and fill the holes, it might just be worth a try on the Mk. I, at least for the short term.

I mention this here because there may be others who need to only refresh the paint that might not know this is an option.

Ray

Before:
P1010004small.jpg

After:
P1010003.jpg

P1010005.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
wow - I'm impressed

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have seen that in person and yep it does look that good.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Man, I AM impressed!! I've a '74 RWA Midget with an older paint job I'd like to try that on...

....but the '63 will require more since I'm removing all the things I didn't like (actually, I've already removed the luggage rack, fender mirror & radio antenna...along with those strange little pieces of trim along the bottom of the doors).

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Tony and all,

I was so tickled with the results of the polishing back last March that I wrote up some notes for publishing out on my web site and the sent them to some local LBC buddies. Well, I never did get around to putting them on my web site until the discussion this morning prompted me to do so...here it is:

https://www.raysmg.com/rays_mg_midget_small_projects_polishing.htm

No brain suregery here, just a simple, easy to follow process with GUARANTEED results.

And NO, I do not get any kind of kickback or anything from the folks I recommend...wish I did...that stuff from Griot's Garage ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/ ) is not cheap...but it is GOOD!

Ray

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
And Then There Was this....

ENGINE'S OUT!!

63midget05.JPG

tomorrow I'll take the starter & generator to the shop so they can be checked & rebuilt

....transmission's already off engine - tomorrow head comes off...

But, I still say MGB's are easier....hehehe

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: And Then There Was this....

It's all in the learning curve Tony.

Two hours or less, engine and tranny out.

You got time, now get with it.