• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1932 MG J2 vs 1967 Jaguar XKE

Pizzi348

Maybe I should post this in Jaguar forum as well, but I am struggling between buying a show-quality 1932 MG J2 and a very nice (not show) 1967 Jaguar XKE. At some point I will add an XKE to my collection, but should it be my next car. I feel like this J2 will be harder to come by, where as the XKE will always be there.

I know I should just buy what I want, but I want them both, so I just don't know which one to get first... Any thoughts?

D

Deleted member 8987

I drive a Jag.
If you've got the money to spare, buy the MG now.
E types we got.
J2's not so much.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'd vote for the J2 as well -- it's a much rarer car, so worth grabbing if you've found a good one. They made plenty of E-Types, they're always findable.

Steve_S

Yoda
I'll assume this is for collecting purposes rather than driving since we're talking about such different cars. In that case I would recommend the J2 because in the future it will definitely be harder to find one done as well as the one you're looking at.

That said, if you plan to drive the car then know what you're getting into. The J2 is a very primitive machine. It's small and not terribly fast on the open road. If you aren't into that kind of thing then the Jag will make a better purchase.

As far as resale value, it's a crap shoot. E-Types will always do well in the collector market. Right now, pre-war cars are very desirable and the values are high. But we've seen many vehicles from those days lose their value as the people who grew up with them pass on. Will that happen to cars like the J2? No way to know for sure. The Fords of the 20's and 30's plummeted simply because there were so many of them made that supply began to exceed demand, and still does today for the most part. There aren't a whole lot of pre-war British sports cars out there so it's possible that the car will hold, or even increase in value as time goes on. It's a gamble like anything else, I suppose.

D

Deleted member 8987

Similar, except for the numbers.
Thousands and thousands of old Fords out there, how many J2's?
We watched the Model T market tank, sold my 1929 Model A for $6500 (all done but the interior...army blankets over new springs), next year you could buy a complete 1931 for $3500.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Matt,

I`ve owned "4" E-Type Rdstrs. We are talking "Roadster" here; Correct? If not a Rdstr; Buy the J2.

I`ve also owned a TC, "2" TDs & a TF. Fun cars but just no comparison in driveability, appearance etc. Yeah; The "J2" is a more rarer car but a "Series I" E-Type Rdstr is simply a pcs. of "Artwork"!!

Just my $.02 as I`m driving thru.

Wish I had to make that decision.

Regards, Russ

PS: Anyone want to trade a "Series I E-Type Rdstr" for a `57TR3 Small Mouth under restoration?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I vote for the J-2! Especially if it is in the 90% and up bracket for original parts. Original parts are still out there, but trying to get someone to part with them might be a long term adventure and $$$$$. I agree that they are mainly for collecting purposes, not for highway driving. Too slow and under powered, creating a dangerous driving condition on our modern highways. JMHO. PJ

OP
P

Pizzi348

Thanks for all the replies. I guess the choice is kind of for collecting, and kind of for driving. What fun is having a car if you can't drive it. I wouldn't expect the J2 to compare to an E-Type in terms of drivability, but that being said - I do hope it's better than a Model T. I had a Model T, and it was fun from the aspect of bombing around in a car built 90 years ago, but somewhat stressful in different situations. The J2 has a normal transmission, and more power, and less weight than a model T, so I'm hoping it's more fun than a model T.

The E-Type (roadster with optional hardtop) is a car I want at some point, but I think in 3 years, a nice XKE will be easier to find than a J2, which I think is what most of you are saying.

I'm not terribly concerned about value. If it goes up great, but I've never made money on a car, so that isn't much of a factor for me.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Pizzi348 said:
I'm not terribly concerned about value. If it goes up great, but I've never made money on a car, so that isn't much of a factor for me.

Your in the right frame of mind. I've never made a dime on cars either, but sure had a lot of fun while owning them! :driving: :jester: PJ

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
XKE = sinkhole for money - more so than a boat, and you know the definition of a boat (hole in the water into which you shovel money).

The J2 is simple and easy to work on, restore, maintain. I'd go for that if you want a toy, and buy an XK or XKR a few years old (prices plummet on them) if you want a driver.

OP
P

Pizzi348

billspohn said:
XKE = sinkhole for money - more so than a boat, and you know the definition of a boat (hole in the water into which you shovel money).

The J2 is simple and easy to work on, restore, maintain. I'd go for that if you want a toy, and buy an XK or XKR a few years old (prices plummet on them) if you want a driver.

Thanks for the input. I never considered maintenance as an issue as I have a Ferrari, but I see you own a Lamborghini - which means if you say the XKE could become a financial drain, I believe you. Thanks again.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Pizzi348 said:
billspohn said:

Thanks for the input. I never considered maintenance as an issue as I have a Ferrari, but I see you own a Lamborghini - which means if you say the XKE could become a financial drain, I believe you. Thanks again.

Oh, yeah - like any of our other LBC's AREN'T financial drains... :crazyeyes:

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Matt, I wouldn't take ten J2 MGs for one series one 4.2 E-type. I don't have your collection but when I put my foot in it I like to at least keep up with traffic ! If you want to just have it to polish that would be different , though an E-type does polish up pretty well. Kevin

G

Ask this question in the Jag forum or ask a beautiful woman her preference. I'd take the Jag. MG J2=cute 2oz ball pien hammer for banging out gaskets,while the Jag is a 12lb sledge,that is actually the male member on wheels.Not trying to offend but that's like choosing between cheap beer and top shelf hard liquor.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It's like chocolate and vanilla ice cream, everyone doesn't like both, so it's all in what makes <span style="font-size: 10pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">you</span></span> happy! <span style="font-size: 10pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Be </span><span style="font-weight: bold">happy!</span></span> :thumbsup: :laugh: :jester:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
It's like chocolate and vanilla ice cream, everyone doesn't like both, so it's all in what makes you happy! <span style="font-size: 10pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Be </span><span style="font-weight: bold">happy!</span></span> :thumbsup: :laugh: :jester:

Well put, Paul! :thumbsup:

Mickey

Steve_S

Yoda
TOC said:
Similar, except for the numbers.
Thousands and thousands of old Fords out there, how many J2's?

Exactly the point I was trying to make. J2s are rare, and European, so they may avoid the same fate as old Fords and other such common vehicles of the era.

As for collecting versus driving, I wouldn't say the J2 is just for collecting. It was built to tackle narrow twisty roads with ease, and that's how it should continue to be used. Of course you're going to slash the value of the car as soon as you put it on the road, since it's been restored to concourse standards and won't remain that way for long in normal use.

On the highway they aren't really at home but they will do it. I don't recommend extended Interstate and multi-lane freeway use, but for two, even four lane highways they are fine. You'll putt along at 50-55 MPH comfortably if the car is set up right. We have friends who drive such cars on distance trips and simply stick to back roads whenever possible. My TC is a slightly larger and faster car (although still small and slow compared to many cars) and we drive it thousands of miles at a time. Great fun, and what they were built for! :smile:

OP
P

Pizzi348

I think I am leaning towards the J2. I know the XKE is an amazing car, and I'd love to walk into my garage humming dead man's curve looking at my XKE and Vette ... but I think the XKE can wait. I love them don't get me wrong ... but there's something all together charming about a J2 to me, and I love the fact that I probably won't ever pass another on the road (not that you see XKE's at every corner).

I think from the standpoint that another J2 of this quality won't be as easy to come by as another XKE.

I'm driving both next weekend, so we'll see. Maybe after cruising in the Jag for a bit, I'll change my mind.