• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Belated intro.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I've been responding to posts for over a week now, so I guess I better introduce myself. I'll put it here because I'm mainly a Triumph guy, but I like all things old, sporty, and forign.
I'll start by saying, my real name is Ben, I'm 28. I chose "Banjo" because I like to play bluegrass music when I'm not spinning spanners, reading, typing, or doing somthing with my Wife and 4 year old daughter.
I live in upstate N.Y. (the road salt capital of the world) where I work as an Auto technician at a Toyota dealer. Prior to this job I worked as the head technician at a Vintage sportscar shop. When I started we did full frame off restos on Triumphs (3s and 4s) and MGs (ok smart guy, I know you can't do a frame off on an MGB. but you know what I mean) along with service on anything old "espically British". We also did a lot of what I liked to call "resa-wreck-tions". Bringing back to life long dead or stored cars. Everything from Jag 120s and Porsche 356bs to a London Cab. And to top it off we did engine installs on Superformance replicas (Cobras)as we were the regional dealer.
When I started, I thought that being immersed in sportscars would quench my thirst for them, but all it did was put petrol on the flames. Now I'm a true junkie with no hope of recovery. The work backed off, and they got out of restos, and they couldn't keep me on full time so I was forced to do the adult thing and return to working on modern cars. Eh, It's a living. of course there's almost always something of the two seat open top variaty in my garage at home getting repaired for someone. Hey, ya diden't think I was gonna give up that easy did ya?
I've had a few different cars personally a 62 sprite, a 77 MGB and currently a pair of 66 TR4A solid axles. This summer the two TRs are going to make one thats worthy of an inspection sticker.
I've passed the sickness on to my family too. We hooked my dad up with a 69 MGB, and now it's about all fixed up and ready to go. Next is my brother. He's chomping to get somthing. We have our eye on a couple of Datsun Fairladys a local guy has. He He He...
So I guess by now you've guessed my last two things; that I'm sorta long winded, and I can't spell for beans. Oh well, pobody's nerfect. but I will try to keep 'em shorter. Thanks for having me here, I'm having a great time. I hope to exchange tips for a good long time. I still gotta lot to learn. Cheers Guv'na!
Ben "Banjo"

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Ben, having two tr4's makes you OK in my book, perfection is not for mortals so dont sweat it!!! I am looking foreward to getting the 63 out of winter storeage soon, of course the 6 inches of snow that fell this pm make soon a relative term....
MD(mad dog)

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Ben, welcome to the group. Your story sounds familiar, about 35 years ago. Like your quip about carbs - I used Dick O'Kane's quote "carburetor is a French word meaning leave it alone." Always had a sign on my toolbox claiming that "if there's nothing wrong with your car, I can fix that too".
You'll have good fun with this crowd, especially the TR guys.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome Banjo Ben!
I am almost twice your age, so, to me, you are part the "next generation" of British car enthusiasts.
I would encourage you to "stick with it", but I can see I don't have to.....you're already "drinking the Kool-Aid".
For what it's worth, I've had a great time mucking around with king pins and SUs for the last 35+ years...and I'm sure you will too.
You'll be happy to know that there are a number of musicians on board here (I'm not quite ready to call myself a muscian, but I'll admit to struggling with the guitar for even longer than I've been messing with gudgeon pins).
And considering your location, if your are anywhere near Watkins Glen on Oct 22-23, stop by and we'll buy you a beer/soda...our race club (with several Brit racers) will be there the entire weekend. We'll also be in Shannoville Ontario on July 16-17, but that may be a bit far from you.
Our EMRA schedule is HERE and street cars are welcome in our time trials.
Anyway, welcome!

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome from one of the "wedge-heads." Always good to have another Triumph owner on board.

txtr3

Country flag
Welcome, Ben!
This is a great forum, and I can tell you'll be a top contributor-- you've already helped me out.

Thanks again,
Jiri /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif