• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Intro

fillerup

Freshman Member
Just wanted to say hello. I started viewing this forum several months ago. At the time I thought I would never find a decent TR6 (was looking for several years!) Lo and behold I found my car in Sept of 04 and took delievery in Oct--had 6weeks of grins before I stored it for the winter. Got to tell you I'm banging my head against the wall waiting for spring. This forum is a great resource -great advice and humor.
Looking forward to getting my "hands dirty"
Ed

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Glad to have you on board. There are many very knowlageable people here with really good ideas. Not like your typical Honda Civic forum. Ask anything, there is someone here that knows it. Hope your TR6 gives many hours of care free motoring.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
You know, you can actually use a TR6 year-round, and often it's better for the car to be used throughout the winter. Don't know if you're in upstate NY or near the city, but you'd be surprised how much fun it is to use a TR in cold weather. (Hey, you have roll-up windows -- so you're set!)

Nothing like a clear and cold day ride in a little British car to clear your head!

OP
F

fillerup

Freshman Member
Thanks for the welcome.. I kept hearing about road salt promoting rust and my car doesn't have any undercoating. Is this an old wife's tale?
Ed

trboost

Jedi Trainee
Welcome Ed,
Tell us about the car, Is this your first LBC. What's on the "to do" list. Don't tell me there's nothing left to fix /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

OP
F

fillerup

Freshman Member
lets see, I purchased a 1969 TR6-White with matador red interior & wire wheels- 75000 mi on the clock. Very presentable-it was restored in 1993. So far I've put in an OD tranny, reduction gear starter,spin oil filter and a Rich Goode Triple carb setup. Honestly, At this point I don't know what, if any thing, is needed I'll probably leave the car as is for this season. I've owned an MGBGT, and in college a sweet Jasmine TR250. The 250 left a deep impression on me ..one that I couldn't/wouldn't shake for 30yrs!
I guess the first thing on the agenda is undercoating. I have found a company in mass that specializes in Waxoyl (sp?) Any experience with the product?
And #2 is the differential. I have a rebuilt 4.10 that I was going to install. I read that a 4.10 was standard with the OD option in 69
Any suggestions or thoughts
Ed

Attachments

• 101772-DSCN1499.jpg
    101772-DSCN1499.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 133

trboost

Jedi Trainee
That is beautiful. Love the lights. The triple carbs look very cool on open hood day. It sounds like you'll have a summer to remember & relive good times. I don't have to tell anyone on the forum that TR chassis's are thin & rust. Do what ever you can. That is the only reason I don't drive it in the rain , other than that it's my preferred car to drive.
My first was a 69 in classic British racing green I bought in HS. I met my wife when I just bought it ( I think it was the car that got her ) & I've been torturing her with cars ever since. The good thing is she knew what she was getting in to from the get go.
Mitch

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
Welcome Ed,

I just signed onto the forum as well. I have a 1970 that is a frame off project and is 95 percent put back together. I'm in upstate NY and can't wait for this darn snow and ice to leave so I can finish her up! Your 69 sounds nice, where in NY are you? I'm near Rochester. Welcome!!

Mark

OP
F

fillerup

Freshman Member
Mark
I'm located in Kinderhook--about 20min West of Albany also still maintain a residence in Manhattan. Its nice to have kindered spirits --the winter is driving me nuts eveerytime I go out to the garage --I sigh
The good thing,I guess is there is only 6 more weeks to go
Ed

OP
F

fillerup

Freshman Member
Mitch
Thanks for the thumbs up, I had a glorious 6 weeks with the car and the memories of how and why I loved my first Triumph came roaring back Very very glad I bought the 6 instead of Miata. That skinny steering wheel just puts a smile on my face; and my push button radio is always set to the local oldies station --ah, life is good
Ed

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I kept hearing about road salt promoting rust and my car doesn't have any undercoating. Is this an old wife's tale?
Ed

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have you lived in upstate N.Y.? The road salt eats cars alive! If you plan on driving it in the winter, then get it coated with somthing. TR6 will lose the rockers, floor pans, lower edge of the front fenders, and most importantly the section of the frame where the trailing arms mount. The salt is not a wives tale. I am an auto technician, and I can tell you that after about 7-10 years of upstate N.Y. winters the average car is seriously getting crusty underneath. Nothing wants to turn, adjust or operate easily. Brake lines are nasty looking, as are fuel lines. This is the only thing that keeps my LBC off the road all winter. I plan on keeping it a while.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ed,

You have a beauty there. Its good to have another Triumph fan aboard. I am a mechanic at a local import shop and work primarily on LBCs, I have seen over and over again the damage that salt does to cars that have been brought here from out east. I'd advise against driving your TR6 in the winter even after you get it undercoated, because eventually the salt will find a nook that has no undercoating and rust it out. Anyway if you do go driving about on the salted roads, be sure to wash your undercarraige thoroughly. I figure its always better to be safe than sorry, esp. when you own such a nice car.

Banjo,

"auto technician" is that anything like a mechanic? You probably use a computer at work don't you?

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
Walter
52 International L110
66 Triumph Spitfire MkII
75 BMW 2002
79 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Yea. When I worked at the Sportscar shop I called myself a "mechanic". Now I'm at a Toyota dealer and I have to be a "technician". I'm still a mechanic on my own time, It's much more fun. I really enjoy being able to make an engine purr without having to "reprogram" it. I now have to take all kinds of electronic and computer classes just to be able to "fix" these rolling computers. It truly frightens me how much control has been taken away from the driver and entrusted to the series of sensors and computers that are on board. I'll opt for the LBC (or any vintage car for that matter) anyday.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"I'll opt for the LBC (or any vintage car for that matter) anyday."
I'm with you Banjo, I won't buy a car newer than 1980. Mostly because I won't work on a car newer than 1980. I feel the best diagnostic tool, is and should be your ears, and eyes, with maybe the assistance of a stehescope, and a drop light. I know that computers have made cars "better" but I don't buy it. I'd much prefer something that I can tinker with and tune, and make purr just right, over something I have to plug into a computer and reprogram.

OP
F

fillerup

Freshman Member
Walter & Banjo-
I agree with you. The first time I drove my 6 I was struck by the sounds and smells, I loved it. These are honest straight forward cars--more like puppy dogs, always playful and trying to please.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Road salt is certainly nasty on your car, but the reason that it does damage to so many cars you see is because most people don't wash their cars enough.

You can use your TR in the winter, even if they salt the roads, but you really need to take a hose and spray the underside of your car every few days.

Since it isn't a daily driver, just spray the underside off if you use it on a particularly dirty, wet day. Takes no more than two or three minutes, and will work just as well as undercoating the car. A note on undercoating, too...if not properly applied, or when it begins to peel or bubble, it will actually make the car rust faster by trapping moisture underneath the coating.

So I'd actually go for professionally applied coating (you can actually use Line-X, too) or just wash your car frequently.

Either way -- use your TR in the winter. It's so much fun!

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Ed,

Road salt can do a lot of damage. But, I'm not sure undercoating is a complete or necessarilly good solution, either. Especially not the stuff you buy at the auto parts stores in spray cans.

Waxoyl and similar products are good, but not generally used on large, exposed panels. Instead, it's sprayed into rocker panels, frame rails, etc. It was also used by the factory to coat moving parts that need some protection, like the handbrake mechanism.

Someone else mentioned undercoating bubbling or peeling, and I can show you where that happened on my car. Under those loose areas is where problems can really get started! Road dirt and salt get back there and stay damp longer, making a field day for rust and corrosion.

I'd suggest taking the car to a professional for proper undercoating. They should steam clean/pressure wash it first and then apply a coating. It's often not the ugly, thick black stuff that used to be common. Be sure to get the hidden areas treated as well, such as inside rockers and frame rails. This means drilling a hole to spray something like Waxoyl inside, then plugging up the hole. Most rust occurs on these cars from the inside out.

My TR4 was driven year round through Colorado winters and salted/sanded roads for many years, about 120,000 miles total, then stored for many more years. I am currently doing a frame-off restoration and have been surprised how few rust problems I've actually had to deal with. I attribute this to one thing, the open crankcase breather circuit on the older cars. It pretty well coated the bottom of the car with oil and kept it fresh for all the years it was on the road (1964 to 1986). Removing the gearbox, I found a half inch of oily coating. But once that was cleaned off the box looks like new, even the black oxide coated bolts are rust free.

On the other hand, the rockers on this car were replaced with fiberglass in 1979, due to rust. They are too far outboard to benefit from the oil bath provided by the engine! At the time they were replaced, all fenders were removed, stipped to bare metal and coated heavily with Rustoleum or something similar on the hidden surfaces. It still looks like new in there!

The problem areas are related more to poor sealing, such as under the polished aluminum capping used on the rear cockpit rim. Foam-like material used there acted more as a sponge than a seal and caused rust to occur right through 20 coats of lacquer paint, a sealer coat and several coats of surfacer/primer. Another problem area is the base of the B-post, which wasn't adequately sealed from the spray inside the wheel well. Live and learn!

Look for areas where road dirt is builidng up and trapped, such as the lower corners of the fenders. I think that "mud" is more damaging than road salt, but made even worse in combination with salt!

I don't know about the TR6, but they give very good sealing instruction in the TR4/4A factory manual (many of which would apply to TR6, too). I regret I didn't have that manual when I did the rolling restoration in approx. 1979. I could have avoided many of the problems I see now!

Hopefully these will give you some ideas. I don't think winter and salt will ever keep my cars off the road! There is much that can be done to prevent problems, not just quality undercoating.

Cheers!

Alan

vrod

I have seen some after market fender liners that would help protect your fender seams. Can't quite remember who was selling them but if I do, I'll let you know.

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
[quote

"auto technician" is that anything like a mechanic? You probably use a computer at work don't you?

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
Walter
52 International L110
66 Triumph Spitfire MkII
75 BMW 2002
79 Triumph Spitfire 1500

[/ QUOTE ]

I work as an "technician" as well for cars. I work at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer. My speciality is electrical and computerized diagnosis. I love working on modern automotive electrical systems and sensor arrays.
I like working on my Triumph too. Truth to be told, I couldn't identify many things under the hood of the Triumph. I am far more used to FI, coil on plug ignition, throttle bodies, and PCMs. It doesn't matter though, they all begin to leak on the bottom...