• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new intro- great site!

Birdball

Freshman Member
Hi guys! I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and decided to introduce myself and ask a question.

I am from Detroit, MI USA and work as a vehicle dynamics engineer at a major auto company in town. I work on ride and handling development on small cars.

My car is a 1960 3000 MK1 and I bought it for $650 about 14 years ago when I was in high school. The car was a basket case, so I took bodywork classes at the local college and learned how to properly fix all the rust these cars like to collect.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Being young and poor, I could not afford a rebuild of the original engine, so in went a 283 chevy and 2004R (OD). I kept the car looking pretty stock except for the dual tailpipes and louvered hood, but otherwise its pretty much a sleeper. It also has 72 spoke wire wheels.

What a great site and wealth of information!! My question is: have you guys come across any easy big brake kits for our big healeys? I have searched the archives, but haven't found what I am looking for. I want to begin going back through my suspension and slowly make it worthy of an open track day or autocross. Is there any easy or cheap brake upgrades out there?

Of course I also plan to get rid of the automatic and replace it with a 5 speed manual and proper 3 pedals.

Thanks for the help!
Matt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Matt,

This IS a great site for British car people.

I have met several of the Healey guys who frequent here and have found them to be very friendly and helpful.

I've got another web site that I'd like for you to take a look at. The URL is www.ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys

The Modified AH Registry is a world-wide associatiion of over 350 owners of modified (largely V8) Austin Healeys.

Membership is absolutely FREE ! We can put you in touch with others who have your desire to take the already wonderful Austin Healeys to the next level of looks and performance.

Please give us look-see snd if you are interested in joining us, contact me. My Email address is at the bottom of the home page.

You can probably help us with suspension info. and we can probably help you with everything else.

Tim Moran - Car Number 1

OP
B

Birdball

Freshman Member
I put a couple of pictures in the photo gallery and apparently I am not hooking up to it properly for them to be displayed. Also, they are not fully uploaded because they have to approved first I think?

Hey Tim! I have been looking though the modified healey site for years now, and I also participate on the yahoo group discussion now and then, but it is so cumbersome to read posts over there- this type of format seems to work really well. I keep meaning to email you some pictures and a description for your site, but I keep pushing it off (for a couple of years now!!)...

I got the impression that this forum was pretty "open minded" when it comes to tastefull modifications, and as I love restored Healeys too this site seems to fit great. My father has a 67 BJ8 that was restored once and is on its second one (daily driver in Michigan snow!). It's a beautifull car that has been around the world (imported from Africa to the US).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Hey Matt,

I went to look at your pictures and they had NOT yet been "approved' for viewing.

Email your pictures to me and I will host them for posting here.
After you send them, I will upload them to the modified web site and send you the URL.

Then just edit your post above with the URL that I send you.

You might as well send them to me now, then I'll have them for your web page when you join us.

Tim

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome to our humble forum. I had to approve your pictures before you could link to them. I have approved them now and fixed your links in your post to point to your gallery pics.

Cheers,
Basil