• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Issues and observations

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The Whitephrog has been back on the road for a couple of weeks now. A few issues and observations.

The muffler is a period NOS Harmo. It's much tamer than my previous Pacesetter Monza. That allows me to hear the engine and transmission better. Not sure that's a good thing. Every odd noise becomes a concern.

Timing is close but not perfect. Car "diesels" a bit when I turn it off.

HIF44 carb is setting too close to the underside of the bonnet. Same set-up as my previous BE but must be some fractional differences.

Reverse is causing considerable issue. About half the time I can't get it to engage. When it does engage it will pop out more times than not. When the engine and transmission was removed from the previous BE they were not separated. I didn't have any transmission problems in the previous car. I haven't drained/replaced the oil in the transmission. It set for about four years.

The clutch is quick. It takes a bit of travel before it engages. I can't remember if I used the same slave cylinder or not.

Comments/advise?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ray,

What weight/type oil are you using in the gearbox?

It helps a lot of you put the car in a forward gear directly before you try reverse. If it grinds or is still reluctant to go, then your clutch is not fully disengaging.

Popping out of gear is usually a problem with a detent ball/peg not holding. It's either a worn out sleeve or a broken/weak spring.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Ray,
Theirs no detent ball or springs on reverse, first and second gear hub assy will have detent balls and springs. However if some way that the shunt damage or move the alignment of the reverse fork or damage the reverse shift rod? Also if the shifter boot is new and a bit hard, it could be a remote possibility that the boot is preventing the gear leaver to fully allow the shifter to engage reverses. I would also check the bushing, spring and o-ring under the shifter to see theirs good tension on it!

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Good points to check first, but there is a detent peg for the reverse rod.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Good point, also another remote possibility is that the reverse locking screw could be loose or damage allowing the reverse shift fork to move excessively not allowing full engagement of reverse gear.

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
How would the damage likely have occurred? The transmission including reverse was working fine when removed from the previous car four years ago. The engine and transmission have sit covered and undisturbed since until they were re-installed earlier this year.

I don't know the weight of the oil in transmission. I believe that I will drain it this weekend, then put in fresh. Bought some Old Speckled Hen this afternoon to assist in the matter.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Whitephrog said:
How would the damage likely have occurred? The transmission including reverse was working fine when removed from the previous car four years ago. The engine and transmission have sit covered and undisturbed since until they were re-installed earlier this year.

The mysteries of British engineering... :crazyeyes:

I recently installed a ribcase in a in a Morris Minor that had been popping out of second gear when removed (I was changing out the engine). After putting it back in and putting fresh oil in it (30 wt) it stopped popping out after driving it for ten minutes. Even the owner asked what I did to fix it... :hammer:

I told him it was "laying on of hands..." LOL

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
The engine and transmission that has been in storage for the past four years would by any chance be the same engine and transmission that was in your previous car that was hit from the rear so severely? If so, you really can’t explained how everything was stress when that hard of a hit in the rear could possibly forcing the drive shaft forward. There are many things that can occur from that kind of impact. There is no sure way without physically removing the inspection cover and checking what reverse gear is actually doing, I’m merely making a supposition to what can and possibly be happing. Your really will have to do a complete physical inspection if your oil change does not improve your situation.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
BlueMax said:
...by any chance be the same engine and transmission that was in your previous car that was hit from the rear so severely? ...

hmmm... that's a frog of a different color...didn't know about that :confuse:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Gerard said:
t
I told him it was "laying on of hands..." LOL

Ooooo finally a procedure I understand :yesnod:

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yes, same car.

www.spritespot.com/gallery/Whitephrog-off-to-the-stripper/Whitephrog_1

I was stopped, in 1st gear, making a left turn when rear-ended by an 80 year old gent in a Chrysler van. Don't remember much. I heard the collision and thought that it was someone else. Next thing I remember was a crowd of folks and the Fire Department and EMTs around the car.

Nothing in the drive train was knocked loose, bent or had any obvious exterior damage but who knows what might have happened internally.

I didn't have the reverse problem on the first couple of short drives. It seems to have gotten progressively worse.

I'm getting ready to take her for a drive to the Farmer's Market this morning. I'll try draining and the laying of hands this afternoon.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Nasty Shunt, you’re lucky to be here today telling us your story. From the photo it folded in quite a bit. Reminds me of my car when park while I was ordering a new top. This idiot came into the upholstery shop asking who’s diving that little car in the parking lot. I answered, he was stumbling his words trying to explain that he drove his car on top of my car... I could hardly comprehend how someone could be on top of my car. But sure as the world when I walk to the parking his bumper was up against the roll bar with both wheels sitting outside each finder. .

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Caution. Not all hands produce the same result from the laying on of. :wall:

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You mention having issues with the clutch pedal travel and engagement. That is something I would look at to see if there is some connection between the two. You fix the travel issues and may cure the reverse. Doesnt first and reverse share the same shaft or a gear?