• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

On the Road Again - and lookin' good!

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A TR3 story continued:
As you may recall, I got sideswiped in my recently "completed" TR3 last July. More back-story here, for those who need it.

I took it to the body shop of Jamie Harrison, who had helped me with painting on the first go-round. We had finished the frame, the underside of the tub and the engine bay -- such that any further work wouldn't require the body to come off again. Being out of money, I had Jamie refrain from repairing all the dents, wrinkles and holes in the top side, and just paint it in flat Powder Blue epoxy primer. That made it more of a 30-footer than a 10-footer, but it ran great and there was no bare metal to rust. I figured I was good for a few years that way.

Then I got nailed. The insurance settlement was entirely fair. So, when I took it to Jamie last Fall, he told me that he wanted to go over the whole car and make it right. I provided an eBay door to replace the crunched one, and did all the disassembly in his shop. i.e. took off all the lights, hinges, handles, beading and everything else that would be in his way as he straightened out my body. I was set to do reassembly when he was done, too. Given, my labor, the parts I provided, the insurance check and an actual pittance of extra money, I was going to get a shiny new-looking car.

He called me the last week of March and told me to come and get to work. I spent three days in his shop fitting all the pieces back together enough to drive it away. It has taken me since then to do the interior trim. I refit the side screens yesterday. Really, all that's left is carpet. Of course, I've been driving it more than working on it. :smile:

An interesting side light: My (I rebuilt it) steering box had been leaking -- not a lot, but my clean shiny frame had oil on it there, and a floor spot below that. I figured I must have screwed-up the oil seal on the shaft when assembling it, and was weighing the alternatives of pulling and redoing the box, or living with it. On the first day of reassembly, I took a good look at the box and realized that the TOP of the box was where the oil appeared to be coming from. Hmmmm? So I reached down to the fill plug on the box and twisted it with my fingers. It moved. Apparently, I'd never properly tightened it. Since being tightened, it no longer leaks oil!

The car looks better than it did in 1959! I am ambivalent about this. For instance, an unexpected consequence: The other day I noticed an accumulation of DUST on my car -- and I CARED! No one told me this would happen! I'll be 60 in June, and I have NEVER owned a car that looked this "new." I don't quite know how to handle it -- and don't know if I can adapt.

Anyone needing body shop services on a "specialty car" in the upper Midwest, is welcome to contact me for instructions on how to find Jamie Harrison. Top notch work done by a guy who couldn't be easier to work with!

Finally --- No, I haven't taken any dang pictures of it yet -- but I WILL -- and I'll post 'em here soon. -- and change my avatar to reflect my current good fortune and station in life.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I assume you kept it my favorite color for a 3. Good for you, no pict needed, I can see it.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Moseso said:
The car looks better than it did in 1959! I am ambivalent about this. For instance, an unexpected consequence: The other day I noticed an accumulation of DUST on my car -- and I CARED! No one told me this would happen! I'll be 60 in June, and I have NEVER owned a car that looked this "new." I don't quite know how to handle it -- and don't know if I can adapt.

Glad it's back. But <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">you...must...fight...urge...to...hermetically seal...car....</span></span> :wink:

Seriously, if there's any incentive now, it should be to a: enjoy as best you can by DRIVING it; and b: doing what you can to keep it looking the way it does now. It's not really as difficult as some would lead you to believe. What I find most difficult is having such a car sit in a climate-controlled storage area, quietly whispering <span style="font-style: italic">drive me...DRIVE ME...</span>! Keep in mind that, like most machinery, they do as well -- if not far better -- by being exercised regularly!

V

vagt6

I'm officially jealous because no car drives like a TR-3! Great story, too.

Please post some pics for us, I'm always thrilled to see a nice TR-3.

Some guys have all the fun . . . :lol:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Great to see that you got it back to "new" again Moses.

GB, I think you're gonna hafta look elsewhere...

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Happy Birthday, Art!

OP
Moseso

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
Glad it's back. But <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">you...must...fight...urge...to...hermetically seal...car....</span></span> :wink:

Seriously, if there's any incentive now, it should be to a: enjoy as best you can by DRIVING it; and b: doing what you can to keep it looking the way it does now. It's not really as difficult as some would lead you to believe. What I find most difficult is having such a car sit in a climate-controlled storage area, quietly whispering <span style="font-style: italic">drive me...DRIVE ME...</span>! Keep in mind that, like most machinery, they do as well -- if not far better -- by being exercised regularly!
No problem there, Andy. I'm DRIVIN' it!
Jamie is also glad to see me drivin' it -- even though he's the one that put the new car sheen on it. That's why I fit the side screens -- so I can even drive it in the rain.
BUT --- No salt on this car! It'll have to sit out the winters.

Pictures mañana.

It's not the original one you seem to want, Randy, so, no... But if I can do it, you could do it too. :smile:

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Moseso said:
Andrew Mace said:

No problem there, Andy. I'm DRIVIN' it!
Jamie is also glad to see me drivin' it -- even though he's the one that put the new car sheen on it. That's why I fit the side screens -- so I can even drive it in the rain.
BUT --- No salt on this car! It'll have to sit out the winters.

Pictures mañana.

It's not the original one you seem to want, Randy, so, no... But if I can do it, you could do it too. :smile:

PICTURES DARN IT! :smile: Even a Vikings fan has to have a camera somehwere :wink:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Moseso said:

Len, NOW ya got th' "Responsibility of Ownership"!!!

A burden. And a joy!!!! :laugh:

June, huh? SO... you're TWO months ahead of me.

Bad bit is: I've regressed. I don't have that "responsibility" issue any longer as EVERYTHING I own now looks like an old shoe. :wink:

OP
Moseso

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
June, huh? SO... you're TWO months ahead of me.
Well, that just means that you can tell all those people who think that you're older than Moses that you're NOT!

:winner1: MOSES :jester:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the birthday greetings...take time out to celebrate... :thirsty: :cheers:

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Way to go Moses! Can't wait for mine to get finished. The way I see it, this year is the year of the Triumph. For you and for me, yea.

Cheers, Tinkerman

OP
Moseso

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Attachments

• 21028.jpg
    21028.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 124