• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

On the road again...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
... cue Willy Nelson. :yesnod:

I see that my "reconditioned head" thread is getting mighty long. Today, the beast was fired up and we were briefly in shock! :cryin: Don't know what the head-rebuilder did, but perhaps they leave a goop or grease or paint inside the exhaust valve chambers (that I never saw) because on start-up, out came a garage-full of SUPER DENSE white smoke that persisted for 5 minutes... the kind you see with a coolant head gasket failure (and where a car leaves a trail of white smoke all the way down the street). Well, this passed and we were VERY releaved. :laugh: So, final tuning began.

It now runs like a dream. Here are 2 shots of the 1275 (OK, 1293) with the new head, electronic distributor (with new ignition wires) and slightly re-conditioned HS2 carbs.

nomad

Yoda
Great looking engine bay! None of mine look anything like that and it appears everything is in its place and ready for being "on the road again".

Kurt.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks. I sorta like the "Cobalt" blue ignition wires from Moss (as they kind of match the car).

I had to add just one zip-tie to better position the fuel line that runs to the rear carb... but I labeled it "SU Zip" (so-as to keep it official). :smile:

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Whitephrog said:
Very neat and clean!

Thanks Ray. It's a fair-weather car (with the top never up)... but I do try to keep it tidy all over. :yesnod:

Besides, I needed it ready for the All British Field Meet in Portland on Labor Day weekend.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Looks like a winner to me. Mine won't be done in time for the PDX-ABFM tho. I''l be there for Noggin's and Natter and for the Swop Meet, but don't know if I'll make the show itself. Hope to get a look at it now that it's going again.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Pythias said:
Looks like a winner to me. Mine won't be done in time for the PDX-ABFM tho. I''l be there for Noggin's and Natter and for the Swop Meet, but don't know if I'll make the show itself. Hope to get a look at it now that it's going again.

Hey there Bill. Do you recognize that PCV gulp unit on the top of the engine? Thanks again!

I'll be there on Sunday, too, looking at all the goodies, and maybe seeing if I can get a better rocker cover (possibly an alloy one). The current one has that odd slope to it that tends to cause the gasket to walk inward; I'd probably setting for something with little tangs on the inside (or add those to mine).

Hope to see you there.

nomad

Yoda
Mark, try gluing the gasket to the valve cover and just using grease where it contacts the head.
I used to use Yamaha engine case sealer but believe I used contact cement last.

Kurt.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
nomad said:
Mark, try gluing the gasket to the valve cover and just using grease where it contacts the head.
I used to use Yamaha engine case sealer but believe I used contact cement last.
Kurt.

Thanks Kurt. We actually ended up doing that (on the cover side). Good tip on the Yamaha engine case sealer. I had some Permatex that I knew would never totally set-up, and I ended up using the contact cement I had (which is holding so far). I'm rather sure I'll have to re-do this shortly, so you tip will be handy.

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
When I worked on air cooled VW's we would glue the gasket on the valve cover with weather strip adhesive. Worked great in that application, which is a similar one to these covers, thin stamped steel...

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Man is this puppy running nicely!

pistonssmaller.gif