• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rope trick works!

zottlander

I fed about 3 feet of braided 1/2 inch boat line, into the first and last cyl's (each). Left the ends hanging out and rolled the car in first gear. Head popped up about a inch. From there i was able to wiggle the head off. This head has been off the car before, so its not like it was on there for 25 or more years. My new question is about copper head spray. Some swear by its use and others say, any use interferes with the normal function of the head gasket. What say you? I have used the copper spray on the int. ex. gasket and have had good results preventing vacumn leaks. Tuesday the head is off to the machine shop for R/R. Perhaps next weekend i can put it back together....

Eric

Jedi Warrior
I swear by the stuff. I had a newly machined head fail to seal (despite new studs, proper torquing, etc). The machine shop recommended the copper spray, which I used and had no more problems. I've used it on a few British and Japanese cars since, and no problems. Cheap insurance, compared to re-doing a head gasket.

Bugeye58

Yoda
In my experience, the rope trick has never failed.
As far as the copper spray goes, I agree with Eric. I wouldn't think of installing a head gasket without Copper Coat. On the race cars, I also put a thin bead of Hylomar sealant around the water and oil passages, and have rarely had a head gasket problem even running elevated compression ratios.
Jeff

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So - I've just rebuilt the motor on my MGB, and installed and torqued down the head. Should I remove the head and redo with copper spray? Haven't started it up, or put water in it yet. If so, do you spray it on both side of the gasket? If one side, which one?

Mickey

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mickey, I don't think I would tear one down just to copper coat the gasket, but if you decide to, apply the stuff in several thin coats to both sides of the gasket, and install while tacky. Essentially, just follow the directions on the can.
Jeff

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
I fed about 3 feet of braided 1/2 inch boat line, into the first and last cyl's (each). <snip>

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used the rope trick several times with good success. Most notable was on a 62 Jag EType with a very stuck head. I soaked the studs overnight in WD40 first.

Basil

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So here is one for you: I don't know if I read it on this Forum or not, but one guy thought he could mix up some bread dough, fill the cylinders, put the plugs in and lift off the cylinder head as the bread dough and yeast rose.
Needless to say it left quite a mess, dough everywhere. Can you imagine?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
So here is one for you: I don't know if I read it on this Forum or not, but one guy thought he could mix up some bread dough, fill the cylinders, put the plugs in and lift off the cylinder head as the bread dough and yeast rose.
Needless to say it left quite a mess, dough everywhere. Can you imagine?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of another blonde joke - grocery bag, parking lot, heated car, can of biscuits...remember that one?

Mickey

Bugeye58

Yoda
That's exactly how it works, James, and it works like a charm. Just make sure you do it to two balanced cylinders so you get an even strain on the head.
Jeff