• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rinstalling Beehive Lamps on BE what is the trick

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Does someone have a trick on reinstalling the beehive lamps on a BE. I've done this two or three times successfully a few years ago but last night I fought with it for 1/2 hour and gave up. I'd think I was almost there running the gasket around only to have it slip off. There must be a trick to do it that involves sufficient light and constant pressure on the chrome bezel and not on the lamp itself. Either that or I need a third hand.

This works for me. Install the glass first, then take the chrome ring and start at the bottom working the rubber lip over the chrome flange. There are two concentric rubber lips. The inside one holds the glass and the outside one holds the chrome ring. Start at the bottom and go in both directions, right and left. You want to end up at the top where you have the best view of the final installation. Have good lighting and I find a two-ended scriber is an invaluable tool. Mine is about 8" long has a straight point on one end and a bent 90 degree on the other. It is knurled in the center for grip. Screw drivers or putty knives are too unwieldy for this delicate work. Breathe deeply... Loud curses, jumping up and down and hurling things against the garage wall are great for relieving tension.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks James, I forgot there are two rubber rings that need to be done. I did this a while back and was successful getting it done. My eyesight, particularly at night in a not so well lit garage was not that great last night. I'll try that again this afternoon if I get a chance. Sunny and mid 60's today in Dayton. I want to get Bugsy out and drive a little today.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Use a chopstick instead of steel. Less chance you'll POKE yourself and bleed all over somethin' important. :jester:

Oh yes, one other important thing. Put a piece of carpet on the cement garage floor right under where you are working. If that glass bee hive slips out of your hand (and it will), it will break right into a million pieces. Don't ask me how I know.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Re: Rinstalling Beehive Lamps on BE what is the tr

:iagree: though I figured it out beforehand
grin.gif

a dental pick works well also

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag

All back in and installed. Less than 5 minutes for both. Now tie wrap and wire wrap front harness and I'm done. Driving tomorrow.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

:thumbsup: