• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mallory ignition

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Who is running a Mallory ignition for their TR6. After 3 rebuilds from "pros" (doesn't matter who), I am ready to throw in the towel. Would be willing to convert the tach to electric. Unilite? Just don't want to pay Moss' price. I think it can be gotten much cheaper elsewhere.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Bill............. another option is the 123 ignition https://www.123ignition.nl/brand/Triumph.html that has gotten good reviews, especially with the Mini crowd for which it was first developed. The downside is that you'd have to go to an electronic tach though there's talk in the 123 forum about retaining the mechanical tach. Or, keep your Smith tach and have it converted to electronic.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I got mine from them I think. As I said in Tinster's post you have to do some work and then the tach can be done by a couple of companies.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I've seen the Mallory's Unilite on various websites for much less then Moss. You'll have to google around. I'm running a Mallory dual point with vacuum advance on the TR3 that I bought on e-bay. It was brand new. I know, dual points on a four banger that won't see much more then 5000 rpm is overkill, but for the price I payed, it was less then having the original rebuilt. Also, the TR3 has a seperate tach drive.

The only thing I've ever heard bad about the Mallory units are that they had a bad batch of condensers awhile back, but that wouldn't apply to the Unilites.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
LastDeadLast said:
Here is a link to what I did.

Mallrory Link

Whoa...they converted a dual point to a Unilite set-up. I'm going to have to give those boys a call and see if I can do it on my Mallory dual point.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Art - They sell the conversion on the site.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
DNK said:

I saw that, but from what I read, it looks like it's only available for some of the vacuum advance type units. I think a phone call should sort it out.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Phone calls now days are free which make info basically free.
Let everyone know as there are a lot of people running dual point foe some ungoddly reason and they might want to change too.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
martx-5 said:
DNK said:

I saw that, but from what I read, it looks like it's only available for some of the vacuum advance type units. I think a phone call should sort it out.

No, they sell the converstion kit for all the dizzy's. Mine is not vacuum advance either. It uses conversion kit part number: 61006M.

OP
T

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Shannon, I will call them on Monday. I just feel that there is a lot of slop in my Lucas dizzy. This is the third rebuild, second dizzy. A lot of my problem is electrical. Tired of bad rotors and condensors and caps. There has got to be a better way.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bill,

If you end up getting different plug wires, Mallory part number 938 are some of the best. They're spiral core. It's a universal set for a v-8 so you'll have a couple spare wires.

good luck,
-s

PeterK

Yoda
martx-5 said:
DNK said:

Art,

Mallory makes a kit for the 4cyl 2332001 non-vac dizzy. I bought mine through Amazon which was the lowest I could find at the time. Century is also a good dealer with tons of info on their site. ISTR I had to change everything except the cap. Added ballast and new coil with the kit. Different rotor too.

PK

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
PeterK said:
martx-5 said:
DNK said:

Art,

Mallory makes a kit for the 4cyl 2332001 non-vac dizzy.

PK

I guess I didn't come through clear enough. My Mallory DOES have the vacuum unit...part # 2<span style="font-weight: bold">7</span>32001. It doesn't look like they make a conversion for this dizzy, that's why I'll have to call to make sure.