• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Mallory Dist

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Unless you really want a "retro" performance setup, I'd suggest a Mallory Unilite electronic dizzy instead.

The dual point *is* an improvement over the original, but today might be considered "old technology". For roughly the same cost you can get more improvement, easier servicing and less maintenance, and will have other ignition upgrade options with a Unilite. The Unilite and dual point don't look a lot different, externally. Either one can use certain of the upgraded Mallory coils (other coils are "points-only" or "electronic only").

But, if you ever want to add a multi-spark controller like the Mallory 6AL for whatever reason, with the dual point dizzy you'll end up disabling one of the sets of points in or converting it to electronic with a special Unilite module (an extra $110-120 expense). The Unilite is ready to add a multi-spark controller, if you wish.

As a rule of thumb, dual point is probably good up to 6000 rpm, a modest improvement over stock. Modified to work with a multi-spark controller it might be good to 8000 rpm. Unilite with certain electronic-only coils and a multispark controller might be good to over 10000 rpm. Now, it's unlikely you'll be revving your TR6 so high, but it gives you an idea of the increasing spark output and combustion strength produced by each level of improvement.

Another way to look at it is that the stock dizzy and coil probably calls for a .024" spark plug gap. Add a sport coil and you might be able to go to .025-.026" gap. With a dual point and a high output coil you might be able to increase that to .026-.028" for a stronger spark. With the Unilite, a multi-spark controller and electronic coil, it's possible .028-.032" gap could be used. All this is approximate and depends on other factors such as the plugs themselves, plug wires and how each individual engine is tuned in other respects. It is balanced off against using cooler plugs in high compression/high rev situations.

For my money, I'd choose the Unilite.

Mallory (at www.mrgasket.com) has a lot of info online to help select ignition components that will "play well together".

G

Yeah, what Alan said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I've used both Mallory and Accel dual point setups in various Fords and Chevys over the years. Both are excellent units that are far better than stock. However, as Alan said they are old technology, and if you hate setting up points you're just going to make yourself have to do it twice instead of once. I'd go with an electronic ingnition no doubt, I have one on my car now (the pertronix unit) and love it. It is truely a "set it and forget it" type of upgrade. If you want a bit more performance then, as Alan said, the Unilite is the way to go, or maybe an MSD setup, something like that.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here's what I did. I bought the dual point and added a Unilite upgrade kit. You end up with a Unilite dizzy for less money. The Unilite upgrade kit uses the same "guts" as the regular unilite dizzy. I ended up laying out around $240.00 for the dizzy and the Unilite upgrade module. Compare this with Moss: https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32478

Bottom line, it runs great, and idles so so much better than with the Lucas dizzy.

I did have to have my tach upgraded to electronic by APT instruments, but at least now it doesn't bounce around like a jumping bean everytime I shift hard.

If you're in the market for a hi-po dizzy, I think it's well worth it. Just make sure have the all the right parts to go with it: The unilite REQUIRES a ballist resistor. I purchased their coil with an integrated resistor.

Let me know if you'd like the part numbers from my setup.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

The part number for the Unilite must be 4767801.

Summitracing.com lists it for $390.99.

They also sell the dual point, for $179.95.

The module to convert a 6-cylinder dual point to electronic is Mallory 560, I think. If so, that's about $90 at Summit.

I think the Unilite dizzy might use a magnetic trigger, while the conversion module for the dual point uses an optical trigger.

TR260/5/6 don't show up at all in the Mallory parts catalog. The above dual-point part number is shown to be for various 6-cylinder Jaguar applications, and this is the Unilite for the same. The omission of TR6 might be due to one thing I'd forgotten, something that's unique to the Triumph 6-cylinder. There is no way to hook up the tach cable with any of these aftermarket dizzies (the 4-cyl. TRs don't have this problem), so a dizzy change also means installing an electronic tach.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Skikir
How'd you miss this?
"here is no way to hook up the tach cable with any of these aftermarket dizzies (the 4-cyl. TRs don't have this problem), so a dizzy change also means installing an electronic tach."
dk