• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mallory Unlite Distributor wiring

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Can anyone tell me if this is the correct wiring diagram to use for a Mallory Unilite distributor on a TR4? My coil which is a Mallory Electronic Distributor was bought specifically for my distributor .

SafariScreenSnapz001-1.jpg

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I just finished wiring mine a couple of weeks ago... I took the brown wire and cut the connector off. I then put on a spade connector and put it behind the front coil mount bolt on the block. I put the green wire on the - side and the red on the + side along with ignition wire from the switch.

You do not need the balast resistor or resistance wire if you have the properMallory electronic coil which has an internat balast resistor.

It all works fine. I shortened all three wires to make a neat wire wrap and left the connector coming out of the dist to allow me to pull it if necessary...

Hope this helps... I could take a picture and post it for you.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm confused, didn't Roy basically explain what the diagram shows?
Did Roy answer your question?
Don

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
CaptRoy said:
You do not need the balast resistor or resistance wire if you have the properMallory electronic coil which has an internat balast resistor.

Well that is one interpretation. However, The instructions supplied above do not support omitting the Resistance wire or a ballast resistor?---Keoke

PeterK

Yoda
It depends on the coil you're using whether you need an external ballast or not. Check your coil instructions on the Mallory site to be sure. ISTR the electronic dizzys require a 0.7ohm coil.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
PeterK said:
It depends on the coil you're using whether you need an external ballast or not. Check your coil instructions on the Mallory site to be sure. ISTR the electronic dizzys require a 0.7ohm coil.

Well Peter, that is usually true. However, my comment simply points out that the above Mallory instruction sheet does not support that conclusion. Their included exception would require something like an ACCEL/DIF Ignition Controller---Keoke?

PeterK

Yoda
It depends of which model number of Mallory coil that you purchased. The Promaster used with Unilite can be purchased with either internally (MAL-29450) or externally regulated. Check the model number and click Ignition Coils on this page : https://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/mallorytech.asp

I suspect that since your model instructions mention a resistor, it is not the internally regulated model and you will need to provide one.

Hope this answres your question. Peter

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The instructions I am referimg to Peter, are posted right there, at the top of this thread, on the forum by ScGuy.---Keoke-?

PeterK

Yoda
Saw those 1st time around. I guess I'm missing the question then. If the dizzy and coil were purchased specifically for a TR4 and those are the instructions that were included and verified correct by Roy, question has been answered. I would have purchased the coil that didn't need the resistor. Just easier IMHO.

BUT, the interesting thing about the instructions is the bit about not using solid core wires with electronic ignition to prevent false triggering.

Wonder if this would also apply to Pertronix conversions? (trying to salvage this thread) Since Pertronix retains the standard side terminal cap and we all know that resistor wires don't work well for very long in a Lucas cap, which wires should people use in this setup?

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I guess I'm going to reply to this... I generally wouldn't as I'd let everyone duke it out...

I did a lot of reasarch before I went with the Mallory and talked with the tech support at Summit and Century before I bought it and the internal balast coil. That does not take in account the countless hours on the web digging up information. I'm an engineer for NASA and know the value of reasearch.

I put mine in with a TR4 engine, with many modifications, and was trying to help with the wiring. Out of the box there is no way you can connect a Mallory Unilite to a TR4. The wires need to be shortened. The ground needs to changed to a spade to make it a neat installation.

Heck, If you want to add a balast go ahead... It's your car... Mine runs fine!

PeterK

Yoda
(just trying to help, somebody dukeing?)

Mine is a dual-point with a Pertronix 3ohm coil. Also works fine.