Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

High altitude adjustments

Folks,

I will be heading up to higher altitudes later in September to participate in Driving for Kids, a fund raising event for a free Colorado camp for children with life threatening illnesses, one of several in the U.S. started by Paul Newman.

The elevation where I live is around 900 feet. Our round trip driving route of 2000 miles, will vary from our origination point of 900 feet elevation in Kansas City, Missouri, to around 5700 feet, and at some point, around 10,000 feet to get across the Rocky Mountains.

I canít remember what adjustments are needed to compensate for the higher altitude.
    Is it the fuel/air mixture, or the timing, or both?
    What specific changes should I make once I reach, say, Denver at elevation 5280 feet?

Thanks.
    Ron

p.s. Feel free to private message me if you are interested in supporting the Camp through this event.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

Re: High altitude adjustments

The stock carbs actually adjust fairly well to changes in altitude, you don't _have_ to change anything. You might be able to get a little bit more power and better fuel mileage, by leaning the carbs and advancing the timing; but I'm not sure it's enough to worry about. I live near sea level, and drive up to around 6000 feet fairly often.

When I drove up to Breckenridge for VTR (highest 11,500; event was about 10,000), I tried making the adjustments. I could tell that "optimum" was a little different than before, but no "seat of the pants" difference before or after. Did run kind of crappy once I got back down, though.

Webers are a different story.
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I routinely drive between Tucson (2722') and Mt Lemmon (9157') - w/o bothering to adjust anything. Same with occasional Colorado drive that went above 11000'. I will say that if your car is running rich down in the flatlands it will be much too rich at high altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by TR3driver View Post
    ...Webers are a different story.
    We had a group drive in Eastern AZ (Devils Highway, tops out at 9355') where the cars with Webers took a different route and met us at the other end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

My experience has been the same as Geo and Randall. I live at about about 3100ft I take the TR4 over 10,900' Beartooth the pass on the way to Yellowstone Park. I also drive quite a bit in Wisconsin 600'. I have had in Victoria BC, sea level, several times. My TR4 has HS6's, it seems to run a bit rich at the top of the pass, but no problems. I had some Webers on it for short time, they are on the shelf in the shop, no fun at all, took all the wonderful flexibility away from the engine.
    ex spec5 Mark

63 TR4 Surrey
    50's Cooper Alfa Sports/Racer