• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Experience with High Ratio Steering Box?

JoeCA

Country flag
I am looking for feedback from someone who has driven a Healey with the high ratio steering box. I am mostly interested in the low speed steering effort as compared to the standard ratio box.

When I had the car on the road, with the original steering box, steering wheel and Nexen 165/80R15 tires, I thought the car steered easily at low speed. I was quite suprised how well the steering box worked.

However, I now have the steering box apart and discovered pitting on the worm gear upper bearing race. I understand that there are different "repair" paths I can take here....but I am tempted with just purchasing one of the new steering boxes that are avaiable and be done with it.

The car is intended for street use. I will likely go with a 15" Moto Lita steering wheel. I may go with a slightly wider tire in the future. I installed the standard bronze Oilite thrust washer when I assembled the top trunnion (so the torrington (needle) bearing kit is still an option).

I would go with a standard ratio box, but it appears availability may be an issue...hence the question regarding the high ratio box.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks....Joe

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have a 15" Moto Lita wheel, 195/65-15 tires and the early steering box which is a higher ratio than the later box. Steering effort is fine at speed, but parking definitely takes some muscle, AKA Armstrong steering.

I had to replace bearings on mine. The outer races are replaceable. I had to have the inner races re-machined. As a result, the center tight-spot is no longer in the center, but the box is smooth.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve, Does Russ have any issues with the DWR box (I'm still trying to work up the initiative to install my normal ratio)?

He told me he's installed several with no issues - but that was IMHO at least a couple of years back. Before Ron Fine had his issues which were discussed in another thread.

It seems all the UK suppliers have some QA issues.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve, Does Russ have any issues with the DWR box (I'm still trying to work up the initiative to install my normal ratio)?

I've been happy with the DWR high ratio unit I installed in 2017.

414 - 2019 Spring Sprints Seattle.jpg

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just to put my penny worth in, I am with JT here, I have a bj7 with an early box in it, and it does take a bit of grunt to parallel park it but other than that it is fine.

:cheers:

Bob

OP
J

JoeCA

Country flag
Bob H. and John....did either of you replace the bronze thrust washer with the needle bearing kit that is available? My understanding is that this makes the steering much easier. I'm figuring on the thrust washer replacement kit as a backup if the low speed steering takes too much effort with the high ratio box. I already have the front suspension installed, so I probably won't purchase/install the needle bearing kit unless I think I need it.

I have a 54 Chevy 3100 pickup that belonged to my grandfather....it takes a lot of steering effort to manuever in low speed situations. That's probably why I thought the Healey was relatively easy to manuever.

joe

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Assuming there is space to do it, just the least bit of forward/backward motion makes it much easier to turn the wheel versus than doing so from a standstill.

Country flag
Yes, I installed torrington bearings a few years ago on my BJ8. It's subjective, but I think they do make the steering effort a bit easier (but they're not 'just like power steering,' as I've heard claimed). I have 185/70 tires on 6-inch rims, with a smaller aftermarket (Moto Lita?) steering wheel, so any reduction of effort helps. I haven't put them on my BN2, but when I put a smaller Lempert wheel on it the steering effort increased a bit.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have the needle bearings installed and I do think they improve the steering effort a bit. Kind of like washing the car makes it run better. At least that's what I believe.....

OP
J

JoeCA

Country flag
After reviewing the ratio differences between the early and late steering boxes, I decided that I wouldn't be happy with the high ratio box for a street car. Luckily, I found a vendor that had the standard ratio box in stock and purchased it. I'm hoping it works as advertised!

Thank you for the input.

joe

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Attachments

• 2014 Sonoma 414 vs. AC Coupe.jpg
    2014 Sonoma 414 vs. AC Coupe.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 122