• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Eight sexiest cars.....on MSN.com this morning

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
No arguement with the Aston, or the Gullwing, but the Linclon and the Mini convertible? And no E-type on the list? Only the sexiest shape ever put on a car, with performance to match, beaten out by a Lincoln and the new Mini?

1. The car James Bond should have driven: 1962 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato
James Bond’s original ride, the DB5, is lovely. But the DB4 has an irresistible pedigree. It is like a wealthy English gentleman—thanks to the Aston Martin mark—but the sculptural Zagato body, crafted by hand in Milan, gives it the flair and style of an Italian lover. Which is to say, it’s not only handsome, but a smooth operator, too. One of these rare beauties recently sold at auction for almost $2.7 million.

2. Prince's Little Red Corvette: 1963 Corvette C2 Sting Ray Coupe "Split Window"
When Prince sang about the little red Corvette, saying, “Baby, you’re much too fast,” this is the car he had in mind... and he sure wasn’t complaining. Detroit’s answer to the Ferrari is a bit more in-your-face than a Euro speedster, which is part of the Sting Ray’s charm.

3. The playboy's dream car: 1957 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing
No less an expert than Hugh Hefner called the Gullwing the sexiest car of all time, and this beauty remains one of the most sought-after cars on the planet. The Mercedes Gullwing’s signature: doors that lift up and out, like—you guessed it—wings. Elegant, bold, and a little eccentric, it’s the Uma Thurman of the automotive world.

4. The ultimate Italian: 1957-1960 Ferrari LWB California Spyder
Only 49 of this model California Spyder were produced. But even if the car weren’t so scarce, it would still be sexy. Why? Designed by the man Ferrari normally used to produce its race cars, the low-slung California Spyder exudes power and confidence. And it’s cute: The oval grill brings to mind a seductively parted pair of lips, waiting for a nice, deep kiss. Oh, and the standard color is blazing red, like a beating heart.

5. Steve McQueen's muscle car of choice: 1968 Mustang 390 GT
Steve McQueen made this baby famous in the movie Bullitt, driving like a maniac on the California coast, chasing bad guys. Steve McQueen? Chase scenes? California coast? Can you spell s-e-x-y? The fastback Mustang strikes such a romantic, nostalgic chord that Ford brought the car back in 2004.

6. The second most famous star of The Graduate: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spyder
Speaking of romantic, this is the car that Dustin Hoffman drove in The Graduate. You can debate who’s sexier in the flick—Mrs. Robinson or her daughter—but lots of us really fell for this car, and hard. It’s a cute little number—rather phallic, if you want to see it that way—with room for two and no more, thank you very much.

7. Because sometimes bigger is better: 1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
The classic “Kennedy” Lincoln proved that even a massive car (5,000 pounds, more than 18 feet long) can exude a sexy sort of elegance. As compared to the Caddy, its chrome-laden competitor of the era, the Lincoln bore a minimal, modernist design and a sleekness that belied its size. Riding in a 1964 with the top down provides total exposure to the elements, maximum sensory stimulation, and style beyond compare. Jump in there with five or six of your closest friends and see where it takes you.

8. Good things come in small packages: 2005 Mini Convertible
As if the hard-top version of the classic Austin Mini Cooper weren’t cute enough, BMW decided to make us all swoon a little more by creating a “topless” version for 2005. This is bound to be the summer ride of 2005—the ideal car for driving while wearing scant clothing.

Car-obsessed New Yorker Joe Bargmann has written for GQ, Esquire, and The New York Times, among others. He’s owned everything from a 1962 Triumph TR4 to a 1964 Rambler to a 1973 Cadillac Eldorado.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Deffinately could have been better.

Radford

Jedi Knight
Where is the XKSS - how in the world could you have a list that includes a 2005 Mini Convertable and not a Jag C,D, or XKSS - not to mention a "plain" ol' E-type.

Heck the TR 4 the guy owned is way sexier than the 66 Alfa!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Styling is subjective but its almost like he go bored halfway though and just tossed in the last ones. MINI convertible as sexy? Attractive yes, but top eight of all time? Doubtful. Any top list without Jaguar E-Type or an Alfa Romeo is lacking IMO.

Well here's my list off the top of my head in now particular order

Jaguar E-Type
Lotus Elite (orig)
1937 Talbot Lago T150 SS
Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato
Lancia Aurelia Spyder
Mazda Rx-7 (93+)
Maserati Mexico
Triumph Spitfire

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
MSN is not for real car fans -- so real first-class sexy cars like Bugatti, Delahaye, Delage, Talbot-Lago, Duesenberg SSJ, Cisatalia, Hispano-Suiza, Continental MKII, Chrysler-Ghia CG Special, Lamborghini Miura and Triumph Dolomite 8 with Corsica coachwork are all way too out there for their readers.

G

I'd hardly call a 68 fastback sexy, and I'm a huge Mustang fan. Muscular yes, bold yes, but not sexy. Also, calling a Ferrari GT California cute? Come on....

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Steve,
I have to agree with the 4GT Zagato, although, of course the DB4 was styled by another Italian company, Touring of Milan.
Each DB4 and DB5 carried a little plaque stating that and that the body was built using Touring's Superleggera (Superlight) construction
Incidentally the DB5 that was used in the film was originally a DB4 and was the works prototype.

Alec

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I also agree that the '68 Mustang isn't sexy at all, nor is the Alfa (my god, of all the gorgeous pre-war and 50s Alfas, he picks the Spider???)

I bet he believes a 275GT/4 is also "cute!"

And I'm a Corvette fan, and I particularly like the Mid-Year Corvettes (C2s '63-'67,) but I can think of 50 sexier cars. For some reason, I just don't find many post-war American cars "sexy." The only Corvette I find sexy is the C5, because it's smooth and voluptous. I don't find Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars sexy -- muscular? yes.

I do agree that the 300SL and 250GT are good selections. I actually find a standard DB4 sexier that the GT.

And the 2005 Mini Convertible is about as sexy as 300 pound woman wearing a burlap sack eating beans and breaking wind while watching Jerry Springer reruns. Good for giggles, but certainly not sexy!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Scott thanks for your comment on the Mustang. I almost made it but figured I'd be mauled by the Stang lovers of the board. Since everyone is coming up with there own lists, heres what comes to mind: 1)Bugatti Type 57 SC Gangloff drophead coupe, and Atlantic coupe; 2) The Clark Gable Duesenberg SSJ; 3) 58 Ferarri Testarossa; 4) a Zagato coupe, either the Lancia Flaminia, or the Aston DB4; 5) Porsche 550 spyder; 6) Auburn boat tail speedster; 7) the entire Jaguar racing family of the 50s and their offspring, id est the C type, D type, E type, XKSS, and XJ13; 8) Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing; 9) Alfa Romeo Giulietta SS; 10) Jaguar XK 120. Honorable mention would go to the BMW 507, AC Cobra, TR3, Talbot Lago tear drop coupe, Cord 812, and the Buick Y job.

you folks forgot the MGA Mk I

sorry personal favorite

mark

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Gosh, where do I begin?
No Jaguar E-Type, but they include a Mustang with a dump-truck engine?
The split-window Corvette and the Gullwing are on this the list because we would all expect them to be....they're almost like the "politically correct" choices. Boring.
I imagine the Ferrari choice was a nod to "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" . Great movie but I think a 250 LM would have been a much better choice.
The new Mini hardtop seems OK, but the convertible ?.......Am I the only one that thinks it looks like a cat-litter pan on wheels?.
The big Lincoln is just dumb .
And no Bugattis?

Also.....what exactly is a "sexy car"?
Maybe I just don't understand how that is defined.

To me, it would include a '64 VW Bus, just like the one I drove to college.
To my old college room mate, it would be a '59 Rambler station wagon.
And never mind why?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A VW bus would only be sexy with a matress in the back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif By your deffintion Nail anything with a big back seat could be sexy.

William

Darth Vader
Actually, I kinda agree with the Lincoln, if it's the suicide door version I'm thinking of. It's a remarkably smooth design, especially for such a big honkin' chunk of metal. They never look as big in photos as in real life, which is a trick in itself. There used to be a baby blue hardtop running around locally, and I always rated it as a great shape.

As for other cars, I think a better Alfa would have been the GTV/GTA. Another clean, unadorned shape that just looks good. A lot of the larger pre-war American cars mentioned are a bit cluttered for my tastes, which is why I'd stick the Cord 810/812 convertibles on the list, but not a Duesenberg, because of the surfiet of chrome and stylized bits on the Duesy. And I'd never slot in an E-Type. I'd opt for the very visually similar Toyota 2000GT, which has all the sex appeal of the Jaguar with a nice, mysterious twist to it.

-William

G

Am I the only one that thinks the D type is far better looking than the E?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
William I agree with the Alfa GTV/GTA, absolutely beautiful cars. As for the Duesenberg, what do you mean 'surfiet of chrome and stylized bits?' The LeGrandes, made for Clark Gable and Gary Cooper were beautiful and elegant cars. I don't think anyone would say they have an excess of chrome on them, or too many stylized bits.
https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=pic.php&imagenum=12&carnum=1833

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Dusenbergs, like many Chryslers Imperials, Packards, Caddies, Mercedes, Bentleys, Bugattis etc.. were built by coachmakers to customer specifications. No two Duesies are identical (although there were cars that were quite similar.) Generally, a Murphy Imperial looked a lot like a Murphy-built Duesenberg. Some have lots of chrome, others have nearly none. It's really hard to generalize all Duesies as sexy, since some are downright homely.

I saw a LaGrande SSJ in the flesh last year, and it is drop-dead sexy.

While I do love the suicide-door '64 (especially in black) Lincoln Continental -- it's not sexy. Elegant, cool, bad...but the only sexy Continental is the MKII of 1956-1957...it was $10,000 (the most expensive American car of the day.) When luxury sedans were big, tall and bubbly, it was low and long and sleek.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OK, I was just thinking about this a bit more.

In my view, the sexiest vehicle would be......the Vespa scooter.

It doesn't sound like any of you guys grew up at the Jersey Shore.....or in Italy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif