• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Latest photos

Group events

Electric Upgrades of All Sizes

Electric classic cars

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Estimated $30K for an e-conversion. No thank you...but maybe later. Waited forever for that Porsche 914 at the light to shift to next gear but never did. And why so quiet? It was e-converted!

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It makes sense in Europe, where gasoline engines are being banned in more and more cities. But in the US the attitude is almost the opposite -- some cities seem to be making it harder for electric cars while catering more to ICEs.

Personally I find it a lot less offensive than the 'Murrican need to put a small-block Chevy in everything.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I like the idea of electric cars - and if you have a car that has a bad driveline (even if its a classic) I don't find the idea of putting in an electric powerplant that offensive. What I don't like about the current state of electric cars is the exclusiveness - you have to be pretty well off to even consider buying one and once you have it, its still somewhat discriminatory. I took a short road trip with a friend who has an electric, and it was really cool not having to buy gas - but someone who doesn't have access to smartphones+internet+credit is pretty much excluded from using the charging portals. I can put gas in my ICE car with a couple $20 bills - even a pocket full of $100's (not that I have ever had that) wouldn't get me an electric charge unless I could sweet-talk someone with the phone/internet/credit stuff to operate the machine for me in exchange for the money.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A couple of weeks ago I took a trip from SE Pennsylvania to Boston to visit my son. One of the parkways we took had gas stations that included Tesla charging stations. Do those charging stations exclusively fit the Tesla or can any EV be charged by it? The trip to my son is roughly 400+ miles. I could not imagine making the trip in an EV at this juncture.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Range before an hours-long recharge, disposal of LITHIUM post-life cycle? I'll pass, thankyewverrymuch!

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Range before an hours-long recharge, disposal of LITHIUM post-life cycle? I'll pass, thankyewverrymuch!
Not to mention... Up hills, ambient temperature, load in the car, time of day (lights on?)....... all add up to reduced milage from stated manufactures milage claims. No thanks for me....right now anyway.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Dittos, Doc.
What about the extra weight and the issues with the suspension settings? We do not currently have the facility required and battery recycling structure.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And then there's fault repair. Limited exclusively to the dealer/manufacturer.

MAYBE one could rotate th' tires themselves...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's just........wrong!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I drive 58 miles on a daily basis and some days 180 miles. Until a company can deliver an electric car that can do that with aplomb and not have batteries that are full of toxic metals, I'll pass.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
One of the best things about an old car is the combination of sounds, vibrations and sometimes smells.. Driving a beetle without that hurricane in the back? no way. The sound of winding out the Triumphs little engine and air rushing through the carb, even the backfire and other noises when shifting gear That is half the fun.

jcw67spitfire

Freshman Member
Country flag
Got a '67 Spitfire MK2 with 1147 cc straight 4 engine and 4 speed, so I hear you loud and clear on winding out and making some noise. My better half, riding with me last week, remarked on a bit of backfiring and I told her I'd check the exhaust underneath in the future (Zzzzz), but I agree with you, that's at least half the fun. Now, 5 or 10 years in the future, if it comes time to pull the whole engine for a rebuild, and battery and electric technology has improved dramatically which I do foresee, I may well put an electric drive in with everything else the same, 4-speed, original braking, same old dash, no radio, no frills, i.e. pretty much just like now. But that's just me with local driving so I wouldn't even need 100 mile range and got plenty of time for a slow charge, overnight, on a 110 outlet. I created a new group on britishcarforum for electrical upgrades of all sizes, and got most of the members from the electric LBCs recent thread already on that group, so I'll send out some more invites to those of you that were not on that thread. Those of you from the other thread already know the only electric upgrade/modification I have done on my 1147 cc engine is gutting the condenser and points and installing a Pertronix electronic ignition.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hey looky here! I moved this thread to the "Electric Upgrades" Group forum!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
hmmm - lots of negative vibes about putting electric motors in 1960s classic ICE cars. What about putting ICE engines in 1960s classic electrics ...?

Citicar-collage.jpeg

jcw67spitfire

Freshman Member
Country flag
Interesting article in the December issue of WIRED magazine on solid-state battery developments.
For greater range, quicker recharge times and no fire risks, a commercially available solid-state lithium-metal battery may be on the market in just a few years of less. One company, Quantum Scape (backed by VW), has developed a flexible ceramic separator (between cathode and anode) that may be a real game changer. Toyota is also working to develop a solid-state cell. A 6-year-old startup, Solid Power (partnered with Ford, BMW & Hyundai) is producing 10-layer prototype batteries in Colorado now. There's still a ways to go for all these players and others (who knows what Tesla R&D department is working on?). But, I'm thinking get ready for some big changes in electric vehicle state-of-the-art performance, whether in new cars or conversions in classics. An interesting quote from Jeff Sakamoto (mechanical engineer at the University of Michigan):
"I am astonished at how little is known about the mechanical behavior of lithium metal and how the physics of lithium affects the feasibility of solid-state batteries."

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
The average scrap price for lithium batts today is $0.49 a pound in the US and I have no idea as to what the batts cost new, I will take the gasoline version any day, I go to Devils Lake ND several times a year from Mpls., MN a distance of 500 miles can an electric car go that far, what about in the winter at0°F. How long does it take to recharge the batt? With gas I can fill the tank and be gone in 10 min. Myself this electric car thing is for the RICH. Happy Holidays to all

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Algot - I feel the same. But the recharge problem could be solved by having charged batteries stocked at charging stations. You pull in, slide out the (big) battery pack, attendant slides in a fully charged pack, and you're on your way in five minutes. Meanwhile, your old pack is being charged.

Would require some standardization of battery packs, but sure saves some "charging anxiety".

Easy peasy - sorta.

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Now, do you really think the auto industry could actually shake hands!!!!
The one item you never hear about is how far the car will go when using the heater or A/C, these cars are designed to be city dwellers. Several police depts are now using Teslas talk about stealth. Gotta go and get ready for Live on Patrol with the Ramsey County, MN Sheriff on Youtube. at 9:30 pm Central