• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Fuel Pump Verification

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I was wondering if someone could verify what the actual OE fuel pump looked like? Was it the AC pump that some of the big 3 mention in their catalogs/online or is it the one I have in the picture attached? I noticed that some of the repro's have a lever for priming, but also seem to have a 3rd hole. Or is that third hole plugged and is just something in the mold of the top? I'm trying to source an OE AC pump and then will do a rebuild kit (probably TRF since it is more complete, but way more money than Moss' kit) if someone will confirm for me that indeed the AC pump is the original type. Thanks again for your help!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0308151300d.jpg
    0308151300d.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 56

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Original fuel pump (still) on my TR4 is AC with a priming lever.

I think I know what you mean by a '3rd hole' -- there is what appears to be a casting for a connection just opposite the connection for the output line but it is a dead-end, i.e. blocked and unthreaded.

I'll look for a photo or wander out to the garage & take one.

Now that repro pumps with priming levers are available (they weren't for many years) original pumps may be easier to find. So simple to rebuild there is possibly no reason to settle for a reproduction.

Having wandered out...

Fuel%20Pump%201_zpsixkuxtae.jpg

Fuel%20Pump%202_zpsb2og5non.jpg

Original pumps are marked 'AC' on top, do not know if reproductions have this.

Last edited:

Mink

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Don't know if mine is original, but it looks identical to Geo's but is marked "BCD" and does have a priming lever.

EDIT: It seems the BCD is an Italian-made clone of the AC pump.

IMG_1148.jpg

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Perfect. Thanks guys. I love this place! I found a used one, so now to go OE and pay more for the pump and rebuild kit or just buy a reproduction one. Hmmmm...the purist in me says OE. HAHA

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
First remember that the TR 2-4A's were built over a period of about 15 years. In that period of time there were several models of the AC fuel pumps. They did look alike on the outside however. So when you say OE to your particular car that may well be different from a TR2 pump. But I do believe that the first difference the early and later pumps had was the way the one way valves were "fixed" inside the pump. The early one had the one way valves fitted in place with screws. The later ones have the metal pinned over to hold them in. For myself I have not been very successful in grinding out the old valves and pinning over the new ones. So I am really looking for an older one that I can just remove the screws to replace the one way valves. One additional area of change was in the way the pin or axle the pump uses is constructed. The early ones have the pin or axle totally inside the body of the pump. The newer ones have the pin going through the pump body and have circlips on each side. NOW the aftermarket ones have the pin through the body and MANY of them have NO circlips to hold the pin in place. And YES the pin does just fall out on occasion.
Charley

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...The early one had the one way valves fitted in place with screws. The later ones have the metal pinned over to hold them in...

Some of my pumps have the valves held in place with a little metal butterfly-shaped piece reaching the edges of both valves and secured with a single screw. A very secure yet serviceable arrangement (compared to the ones that are staked).

I have never had a valve fail but I have had them fall out - thus I generally do not mess with a working valve when I rebuild.

As I recall, when one fell out I could still drive (possibly helped to have a nearly full tank) until I stopped. Then the pump could not get fuel moving again on the restart and there I sat.