• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Quarter Panels

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
I just realized my car is missing the rear interior quarter panels. The previous owner used carpet and I've ripped it all out. Moss wants $680 for their complete panel kit and won't just sell the rear panels. Victoria British does for $259 but they are back ordered for 12 weeks. Any suggestion on who else sells just the rear panels? Thanks

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ah spares . Ahead4healeys. Autofarm

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
You could always make them.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF2727.JPG
    Copy of DSCF2727.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 126
  • Copy of DSCF2737.JPG
    Copy of DSCF2737.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Copy of DSCF2748.JPG
    Copy of DSCF2748.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 117

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Cessna, what model do you have? Your profile shows an early 3000 four seater, maybe a BT7. The photos posted by vetted look like a BJ7 or 8. The panels are very different between these two styles.

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If your not doing the whole interior its not going to match .if you don't care give John a call at Sports & Classics

OP
CessnaTPA

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
I have a 57 100-6

Thanks for the link Matthew, I see you have a bunch a videos on the healey I will have to watch.

I think I'll try to make my own but I first need to finish the carpet install.

I've talked to John at sports classics and have ordered a bunch of parts from them, John is very knowledgeable.

Now it's off to the garage to hopefully finish the carpet install. Thanks.

OP
CessnaTPA

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
Is it a Longbridge BN4 (# 68959, or lower) or Abingdon BN4 (#68960, or higher)? I have the early BN4 and those rear quarter panels are more difficult than those shown in the video.

My plate on the firewall reads BN4L-0-35943 so I assume it's a Longbridge. Does anyone have a pic of the Longbridge quarter panel?

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Of course guys, my panels are not to represent any original panel. Just what I decided to make since I had none and my car is not anywhere near original. It's just an option. In my opinion, if you can get exact replacement panels for anywhere near $100 I would grab them in a heart beat.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

In 1988 I began to reconstruct the quarter panels that had deteriorated a while prior due to delaminating wood under the covering vinyl. During the previous 4 or 5 years of business travel, I searched out and visited business that carried black vinyl to get an exact match for the original grain and color (yes color). I assumed Black would be the simplest color to match but even black has many shades and grains to address.

Although many Healey parts suppliers indicated panels “As Original”, after viewing many, it was obvious we did not share the meaning of the term. I finally found an exact grain and color match, purposed for a Model T Ford restoration, at La Baron Bonney, Antique Auto Restoration Fabrics in Massachusetts and purchased enough to cover the quarters +. Since the BJ8 has a waffle pattern vinyl on its face that could not be duplicated, I cut this patterned piece from the original and, after constructing the quarter from shower-grade masonite and metal, sowed the purchased vinyl to the waffle section and mounted it to t he backing.

Although my quarters came out better then original (would never delaminate again), there was an unanticipated problem. The new front portion of the quarter rested next to the door panels and the aged door panels looked shallow in color to the new quarter. At first I though this would not be that obvious, however, it was and my determination to have my “As Original” look would be lost…unless I also redid the door panels. Well, new vinyl on the doors made the dash look shallow and new dash made the dash look shallow and on and on.

100_0276.jpg

Note: Front and Rear seats are Original

The reason mentioning all this is to bring up the potential of project expansion. No panel on the Healey can not be reproduced with reasonable effort and even the sewing can be done be a beginner (me) using their wife’s machine. I am not suggesting you redo your seats or even the padded fold-down shelf on a BJ8 but I would consider all else to be reasonable to consider.

As far as panel patterns, there are always a few in our local Healey community that are in the process of addressing or redoing their interior. I would suggest someone would have their panels out and you can make a pattern from their parts.

Good luck,
Ray (64BJ8P1)