• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 rear end rebuild

hondo402000

Darth Vader
the rear end seems to have a lot of play in it and is kind of loud especially with the top up, is it possible to have it reshimmed or should I just bite it and have the rear end completely rebuilt with all new bearings, ring and pinion,seals....? Who does a good job? should I go to a 3.45-1 or stick with the 3.7, I have no OD

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
should I go to a 3.45-1 or stick with the 3.7, I have no OD

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

How do you like the car out on the highway? If it's okay with you and your driving style, I'd stick with the 3.7 rear end if at all possible.

The 3.45 will make a U.S. spec TR6 seem pretty sluggish. It was mostly used in the European P.I. cars that enjoyed significantly more HP and a bit more torque.

On the other hand, a 3.45 would help today's expensive gallons of gas go a bit farther! Since fuel has always been a lot more expensive on that side of the big pond, even back when these cars were new, that might have been part of the reason the 3.45 was commonly used "over there".

If money and fuel economy were no object, performance were the goal, I'd suggest a 4.1:1 and an A-type OD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though, with noticible wear and tear in the diff, you might want to take a close look at it's mountings while it's out of the car, along with the rear hubs, half-shafts, u-joints, and drive shaft as well.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

TRF did my differential and both hubs. Very pleased with the results. They even put a drain plug in for me. While I had it out, I rebuilt the entire rear of the car: tube shocks, new springs, bushings, brakes and brake lines, fuel tank and fuel line, emergency brake, etc. Good time to check all this out because the diff is bulky and a little awkward to replace.

Bill

trboost

Jedi Trainee
I would seriously consider the Goodparts Nissan LSD differential. I just finished installing mine after a do-it yourself failed rebuild. I changed everything but the pinion bearing & it came back to bite me. I had been battling a rear end vibration for a couple of years. The R200 diff I bought from Richard Good came out of a 99 Q45. The kit cost about the same as a TRF rebuilt unit, I payed $500.00 for the modified R200 diff & $450. for the installation kit.
It's not cheap any way you go, BUT I now have a diff capable of handling more HP than I can ever dream of making, the added benifit of limited slip and a very , very quiet drive train. I am using the Toyota 5-speed so the shortened driveshaft was not needed, that's the only real additional expence that puts it over the original diff.
Gearing is available in 3.54, 3.69 (stock) and 4.08. I have a couple of hundred miles on it it is a world apart from the original.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
thanks for the info, the previous owner had both hubs rebuilt new u joints pretty much all is new. I have read about the nissan unit and was concerned about a note that on hard corning a clip comes loose and the rear end disengauges??? well If I do it I think I will stick with the std unit and std ratios, If I take the car down to my friends beach house I will probably trailer it down, I dont care to put it on the hwy at 70 mph for 3 hours, thought I am sure it could handle it

Leebo

Country flag
Second RGood. I just did his bushings, adjustable trailing arm brackets, and LSD diff.

Also did the Blind Moose tube shock conversion.

Took lots of $ and time. Started last fall, finished this spring. Did the boxing of the diff (I intend to post pics - the top of both the front passenger pin and the rear driver pin had broken free. I'd been driving for 10 yrs on this and neither pin was movable.)

Overall, it is a great ride now and MUCH quieter. Since I did it all at once I can't give a comparison of any one thing - I also got a new plastic tranny cover from TRF and glued foil-reflective insulation to the underside of the cover - I know this helps b/c I could previously feel the heat coming thru the fiberglass cover and now I can only feel it on the shift lever (which now has a switch from Quantum Mechanics so I can pinkey-shift the A-type.)

-Lee

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
"70 mph for 3 hours, thought I am sure it could handle it "
Mine does it fine and it's got over 100K miles on it.