• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The O/D WORKS, it really does!!!!!!

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
9pm in Tennessee, I'm sitting here having a celebratory drink, happily peeking at my working overdrive.

At the first pressure test I got 360psi. Had some folks tell me that was good but I kept reading and digging in the manuals, the Reidel articles and the manual that a couple of you sent me. Its sitting on the bench, so now is the time to get it right, i figured. Monday I called John Espsito at Quantum Mechanics and he told me that with the small accumulator piston it should measure around 425 to 475 psi. I added two washer shims ala Nelon Reidel. Brought it up to a wiggily 425. Today I added one more and it is now at a steady 450 with cold oil. I feel much more comfortable with that measure.

Final bench test. Try to activate the OD with the activation lever. Couldn't reach the darn thing so I got a buddy of mine to come over and toggle the lever. I spun it up to working pressure and told him to toggle it, nothing happened. I kept the drill running and he fiddled with the activation lever and finally it kicked in. YEA!!!!! more attemps and every time it would kick in. I'm ready for the road test now. Course that might take a little more time, heh.

Goes into the chassis this weekend.

Thanks for listening, so to speak. Most of my friends around here wouldn't understand, but I knew you guys would.

Cheers, Tinkerman

SidescreenTR

Congratulations, Dick!! As a "house"warming present, here's an avatar for you! :smile:

Attachments

• 14755.jpg
    14755.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 216

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Good for you Dick!

My first TRs never had overdrive, so I didn't know what I was missing. Now I can't live without it. You are going to have a blast!

Randy

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Dick - Would you describe the shims you used. What material, what diameter, what thickness and how many took the pressure up to the first improvement. And how many more of what thickness did you add to get it up to the final 425 psi ?

As I wrote before, mine is only producing 320 psi. How many and what total thickness would you think I would need to increase mine to 425 psi ?

Where exactly did you install them ?

D

DougF

Congratulations! It sure makes the celebratory drink taste a lot better when you complete a big project and it works.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
That's my project for the weekend. My son's having friends over for the New year and they all want to "help". so I am going to let them test the o/d.

I will let you know how it goes.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Mornin Don, the "shims" are ordinary 3/8" flat washers. They are .087 thick by 7/8 diameter. I sanded both sides on 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface just to smooth them down. I suspect 120 grit would work just as well. It took two washers to get to the wiggily 425 psi. About 50psi per washer, with the third washer I was reaching a point of diminishing returns because I got only 25 psi. which was fine because at that point it was mid-range and just what I wanted.

They go under the accumulator piston spring. Easy do on the bench, probably a pain on the car.

You need to see which O/D unit you have, if it is not a 22/61275 then you probably have the larger accumulator piston and don't need the higher pressure.

Here is a link to the Nelson Reidel info.

https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD4/AOD$.htm

If that doesnt work just go to the Buckeye Triumphs web page and you will find it in the technical section.

Happy New Year and good luck, Tinkerman

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Congratulations Dick. I'll bet you can't wait to hit the road with it!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
YAY!!

Now, target date: May 10th - Blount British Car Show, Townsend!

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for listening, so to speak. Most of my friends around here wouldn't understand, but I knew you guys would.

I bet that's a feeling we all have, and these minor (major) victories shouldn't go un-noticed or un-celebrated. I wouldn't have a snowballs chance in Puerto Rico if it weren't for this forum and our collective knowledge and goodwill. Congratulations. Have a ball.
Mike

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Great news Tinkerman.. Congrats! Happy New Year!

Larry

T

TRDejaVu

Well done; now if only I could get motivated to complete my OD conversion.

T

Tinster

Tinkerman- I am so happy you finally got your O/D odometer
to function. I know how I struggled with defective parts,
loose connections, crinked cables, etc before I got my odometer to work!!

Congrats on a job well done.

tinster

elysium

Congrats-I am looking forward to converting to a Jtype in my 6 when we get it back on the road in the spring. Have a question since you have just been into the unit-took my"new one" apart and everything looks good( normal wear on gears/no broken teeth etc. On the cone clutch there is pitting on the band around the unit that holds the pieces together-no voids or missing chunks,just moderate pitting. Is this mormal and not a hindrance to the operation? I did see that Quantum lists re-conditioned units but they are pretty dear.
Would appreciate any feedback folks can offer.
Elysium

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Elysium,

I think that you can buy replacement parts for the J's from John.

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Great Job, Dick
You will really love driving it. O/D's are sweet.
Nothing better than having something work better after fettling it