• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Factory works competition Healey

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello,

Over a year ago I bought a RHD BN7 as parts car in the US. Initially I had the idea that the car came via Australia to the US due to the lack of a heater, but consulting the Healey club there was no record of this car in Australia.

It was struck to my attention that 5 cars were prepared UBJ 140 with number <span style="color: #990000">XXXX</span> and UBJ 144 with <span style="color: #990000">XXXX</span>. As my car has <span style="color: #990000">XXXX</span> it might be UBJ 142.

Who knows something about the history of these cars? And who can help with things to look for this car could be UBJ 142?

Many thanks in advance.

Harry

Country flag
You need to pick up the book: Big Healeys In Competition, by John Baggott, 2006.

All known works cars are chronicled in detail by registration number (but unfortunately, not by VIN).

Still, a good read, and belongs in any Healey enthusiast's collection.

OP
H

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Re: Factory works Sebring competition Healey

Hello Guys,

update:

Having a closer look at the car I am almost convinced that the car is UBJ 142 this would be one of the four Healeys which entered Sebring at 1960.

Some of the "special" features of this car are:

- 4 disc brakes
- 25 Gallon gas tank
- 5 inch tach
- 2 insch carbs
- competition clutch
- 2 speed wipers

Allthough my initial plan was to convert it from RHD to LHD and have it paint in Healey blue with white coves I think to do the car justice I have to paint it its original color BRG which is still on the frame.

I would be very interested to learn more about this car and if someone would know about its racing history

Kind regards

Harry

Country flag

Is there a Heritage certificate available? I'd try there first. It will give you the info by the vin(?) number on the fire wall. It should tell you date of mfg, what originally came on the car, the color and where it was first sent.

OP
H

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Hello,

I don't have a Heritage certificate yet but found the following info on car H BN 7 <span style="color: #990000">XXXX</span> a sister car of mine.

On this certificate is under other information is mentioned

The car was built in the MG factory at Abingdon and was prepared by the Competitions Department of Healeys at Warwick. The record card for the car is marked "special engine." It was built as a replica of the four 1960 Sebring cars <span style="color: #990000">XXXX-XXXX</span>.

Found in the meantime as well, that it had race number 20 on the 1960 Sebring race held on March 26.

More input on the history and or pictures will be highly appreciated I am sure will come back with other questions on this forum as it is my intention to bring this car back to original specs.

Harry

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello hama61,sounds like you have a real find there. I'll bet that if anyone would know it would be Bill Bolton at TRICARB@aol.com. Yes the Heritage certificate would be a good thing to have.

Regards,

bundyrum.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

hama61 said:
Allthough my initial plan was to convert it from RHD to LHD and have it paint in Healey blue with white coves I think to do the car justice I have to paint it its original color BRG which is still on the frame.

Hello Harry, Sounds like you have a true winner there! I would think that maintaining the car in it's original factory format would be the best thing to do, to control it's true value in the market place. If the car was race numbered, I'd put that on the car also. JMHO. PJ

HealeyBN7

Country flag

Harry,

Take a look at this link. It is a letter from Bill Woods detailing the sale of the Sebring cars. It was posted along with the documents authenticating UJB-14X cars on race-cars.com. At the time you could have bought two of the Sebring cars (post race) and a twin-cam for $5,700.

https://www.race-cars.com/carsold/austinhl/a76686/a76686dd.gif

This letter lines up the race numbers, registrations and tags.

Is there any way you can post some photos. I would like to see what is in your posession.

Cheers,

Dean

OP
H

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Update:

As suggested by BUNDYRUM I have contacted Bill Bolton who wrote:

Where on earth did you find UJB142? I owned UJB141 for several years. Geoff Healey helped me put it back to original.

After some email converstion about the car I received the following answer from Bill

Hi Harry,
Congratulations - You have UJB142!!

One of the things I can start to look for is a two seater hardtop as it is my intention to bring it to original spec and the huge gas filler cap any idea which make this is and its diameter?

PAUL 161: the car had number 20 (As to been seen in the link Healey BN7 had posted) in the Sebring race and ended 15 th overall so at the end of the restoration the car will carry this number.

Healey BN7/Dean: I will try to figure out how to post a picture in a post

Kind regards

Harry