• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Hertitage certificate: factory record has not survived

EugeneV

Freshman Member
Country flag
I recently applied for a heritage certificate. A few days later, the museum replied that the “factory record has not survived”, so I’m unable to get a certificate :(. Does anyone know how common this is?

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I requested a Heritage certificate and received one for my 1960 TR3A commission # TS61324. This was a couple of years ago. The information that I had for the car was confirmed and the certificate included additional information that I did not know. Frank

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The museum is closed until December 28. Maybe try again after it’s open.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I got the same response for my TR2. The bright side...since you can't confirm what was original, you can pick any color you want. Nobody can ever tell you it wasn't original.

OP
E

EugeneV

Freshman Member
Country flag
I like your thinking John! I received an email from Richard Bacchus at the museum and my payment was refunded, so I won’t be able to get a certificate. My commission number is TS56777-L in case anyone else with a number close to that has the same problem.

Oh well, took the TR out for a drive today. So much fun.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Never heard of this problem but I suppose it is inevitable as (if I recall correctly) they are using a copy from a microfiche of a hand-written card that was affixed to the vehicle as it went down the line.

One used to be able to get a U.S. sourced document with similar info (and even the time of day) from Joel Rosen. Possibly affiliated with TRA.

Here is mine (zounds, a 25 cent stamp, that has been a while):

XvlKbwY.jpg

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
I seemed to remember my old Austin Healey 100-6 had a similar issue. They could tell me what year and what factory it was built in, but, did not have the records past that.

Rod

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Eugene, Does your car have a conventional chassis number, eg TS60,000L or TS60000LO? Standard Triumph sold some cars abroad as parts with assembly required. Many of these went to Belgium for assembly, as did my Triumph Herald. From what I've been told, build records for many of these cars are unavailable. They are identified by commission numbers though with prefixes such as "20" or "CKD". Others have an N or a b prefix. See Bill Piggott's, book Original Triumph TR2/3/3A p.109 for more on this.
I'm not suggesting that you's is one of these cars, just that the records for them are difficult or impossible to find.
If you do have a conventional commission number, it does not seem unreasonable that a few might have gone mission over the last 60 or so years.Tom

mixdenny

Freshman Member
Country flag
Same problem with my 1957 TR3. They did send me what information they could read and refunded the fee. Author Bill Piggot has his own source of build data. I don't have his contact info any more but look him up. Not as nice of a certificate but the info is good.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Same problem with my 1957 TR3. They did send me what information they could read and refunded the fee. Author Bill Piggot has his own source of build data. I don't have his contact info any more but look him up. Not as nice of a certificate but the info is good.

This TR Register thread might be of interest although it is 5 years old: (at the time you could PM Mr Piggott through that forum)
https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/50956-requesting-information-through-bill-piggott/

OP
E

EugeneV

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for the info. As far as I can tell, the chassis number is conventional. I can see TS56777L stamped on the plate on the firewall. There is also a separate orange plate that says "Triumph STC 60". I'm not sure what that is, but doesn't seem to be related to the chassis number?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Thanks for the info. As far as I can tell, the chassis number is conventional. I can see TS56777L stamped on the plate on the firewall. There is also a separate orange plate that says "Triumph STC 60". I'm not sure what that is, but doesn't seem to be related to the chassis number?

The "STC 60" is something that was added by some regional distributors (and/or dealers?) to officially "retitle" the car to the 1960 "model year"; TS56777L was likely built towards the second half of calendar year 1959.