• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mice - what works for you?

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
It is that time of year. What do you do to keep the mice out of your Healey? I've been using mothballs with some success but there must be something better. They have learned to avoid the traps.

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just sit up at night with a shotgun. Works for me...

Actually I almost freaked out when noticing a chewed thru hole in one of the boxes with my new carpet and interior pieces. There was those little chewed up bits of carpet scraps in a pile for a nest. Fortunately those fuzballs had been loose in box from the cut edges. I was about to cry thinking there were going to be holes in any of those panels. I dont think they care much for steel wool. But that would be rust ball waiting to happen.

R

RonMacPherson

mothballs wrapped in fabric softener dryer sheets, placed strategically

big6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
One word... DeCon

Tastes better than vinyl, plastic, wiring harness or wool.

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Andy;
Had the same problem.
They ate all my wiring to the point that the car would not start.
I also used mothballs, but I also used those traps that are flat and have a sticky
surface. the mice walk over them and get stuck on it.
Of course the cat and the shotgun would be a feather in the hat.
Good luck.....

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I use "Mouse Magic" and it seems to be working. Rather than kill the little buggers it simply wards them off! They don't like the sweet kinda-orangy smell. It destroys their scent trails that they rely on. Of course I still have about a half dozen snap traps sitting around. Come to think of it, since I've been using mouse magic I haven't caught a single mouse.

I don't like to use poison because we have lots of raptors and foxes etc. around and if just tossed out they too die.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Irish spring bar soap...learned this trick decades ago..In the spring when pulled out of storage car smells great too!

Pete

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I found a live trap because I didn't want to kill the little critter that had taken up a home in the garage, I used it a couple years ago, put some peanut butter in it, had a mouse the next morning, a couple years later new mouse, trap worked vernight again.

I just drive around with the mouse until a see an open garage with Porshes or Corvettes in it and release :smile:

terriphill

Darth Vader
glemon! :nonono:

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Looked for Mouse Magic and couldn't find it. How is it used, powder, liquid or solid?

I found it at several places. 1st Home Depot, Ace Hardware, even Walgreens pharmacy had it for awhile. Most garden shops have it too. It comes with 4 packets. Just place the packets where you don't want mice to hang out. I put a couple in my '97 Jeep Cherokee that is kept outside, keeps the mice out.
Good Luck

jaegzie

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Ive heard that CARBAGs work pretty well for this. Ive been looking into them for a few weeks. For 150 bucks seem well worth it. The person who turned me onto this said that it works very well for keep rust off brakes and thing like that, also.

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
glemon said:
I just drive around with the mouse until a see an open garage with Porshes or Corvettes in it and release :smile:
WEll........ I guess that means that I can leave my garage open...........LOL
unless some one wants to leave a car like that in it....

jazzy

Freshman Member
jaegzie said:
Ive heard that CARBAGs work pretty well for this. Ive been looking into them for a few weeks. For 150 bucks seem well worth it. The person who turned me onto this said that it works very well for keep rust off brakes and thing like that, also.
What is a carbag-- never heard of this ???

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Jazzy;
It is a car storage bag. It completely encloses your vehicle, it supposedly delivers a greater defense than a car cover. It keeps Moisture, dust and bugs out.,etc.
I have not spoken to any one that has had their car in one... so i do not know how well they work.
The premise seems ok though.