• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The cost of chrome.

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Gang,
I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays.This year, I have really enjoyed driving my 65 and I haven't really put too much work into her.It's been a good year.
As we all know,its only a matter of time before I'll have to take "Old Nellie" apart and go with a frame off rebuild.I'm not looking forward to it,but it has to be done.
Today, I called a company that chrome plates and the prices given to me were quite a shock.
My question to you is: What would be a good price for having all exterior pieces triple chrome plated? Any response to this post would be appreciated.
Happy New Year
Bobby R

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had all the chrome plated and aluminum polished on my sprite in CA at West Coast Chrome for $1500. I too was surprised by the cost, but in this case it was fantastic quality workmanship and the going rate I found out.
Scott in CA

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Quality chrome plating is expensive, for many reasons. It's very labor intensive, the chemicals and electronic equipment are expensive, and environmental safeguards increasingly demand costly processes and precautions. Shop around, and find a shop with proven quality results on collector car hardware. Get references, and talk with them. I wouldn't try to eat the whole elephant at once, for that will be quite a meal. And weigh carefully which pieces are really worth re-chroming. Many parts are less expensive to buy new rather than re-chroming oringinals. Bumpers, if original, are probably a good bet for re-chroming, due to the difference in quality between original and reproductions.

Country flag
Some parts are pot metal (door handles and boot hings) and require drilling out of the pits and refilling. very time consuming. The guy who is doing my paint is suppose to be doing the chrome at his costs. We shall see. The grill is probably the most expensive. I have chosen not to do it.
The guy who did much of other stuff for me a few years ago has passed. He was in his late 70's and a heavy smoker but he did perfect work at a ridiculously low price.

Country flag
I recently had a sideshift gear lever rechromed, and that cost $75.00.

A few years ago, I had the four (4) pieces of my windshield frame and the passenger grab handle/escutcheon done, at $250.00.

I would wager to say that most of the rising costs have to do with environmental compliance, and the cost of electricity (takes lots of DC amps to throw the chrome).

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I just looked through some old bills from 2002 when I had some rechroming done. For rechroming 2 headlight rims, the grille and surround and thew windshield frame set the charge was $1305.00 plus tax. The work was outstanding, esp. the satin chroming of the grille which alot of people get wrong and make way too shiny.

I don't know what this would cost now but am glad I had it done then!

OP
BOBBYR

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys,
I appreciate all of you getting back to me.The shop I have contacted is quite famous and I have been told, "the best".Now it's time to hold on to your hats.The prices I have, would come in at an easy five thousand. I am not looking to throw away money, but I wonder if this is the price you have to pay to do it right.I have rebuilt many cars through the years, but this one has to be perfect.At this point,you probably think I'm crazy,but this car really has me hooked.
Again,thank you all for your advice and additional input is appreciated.
Happy New Years to all
Bobby R

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Bobby,

"$5000"! OUCH! Well; It seems you want your car "Perfect", Therfore; One will have to pay for "Concours" work.

Let me venture a guess who quoted you; "PAULS CHROME"? I used to live in Clifton, NJ (Over 100yrs ago) & know of several "Restoration Shops" that swear by "Pauls Chrome" work. Expensive and not too fast but 1st. rate quality.

Best Wishes,

Russ

PS: I`m looking for a Chroming House somewhere in the "Greenville, SC" and surrounding area. Who knows of one around here?

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Bobby,
You might consider buying new parts from AH Spares in the UK. They offer
quite a few in their "higher quality" - my words, price point where items are
triple chrome plated. I purchased new door handles and trunk hinges and very
pleased with the quality and price. Know this won't work for some unobtainable
parts but worth checking out.
Regards,
Mike

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"They" say that the best chroming is done by shops catering to the Harley set.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
BOBBYR said:
Hi Guys,
I appreciate all of you getting back to me.The shop I have contacted is quite famous and I have been told, "the best".Now it's time to hold on to your hats.The prices I have, would come in at an easy five thousand. I am not looking to throw away money, but I wonder if this is the price you have to pay to do it right.I have rebuilt many cars through the years, but this one has to be perfect.At this point,you probably think I'm crazy,but this car really has me hooked.

That does seem pretty high. I paid $150 for each bumper plus an additional $50 for each of the 4 over riders for a total of $500. This was in 2008. As was mentioned, the work is very labor intensive. On bumpers for instance they have to almost allways straighten them out. As was stated it's usually cheaper to buy new door handles etc. AH grilles usually don't need rechroming but, you'll have to purchase new the surrounds, or have them rechromed.

TomH

Freshman Member
I highly recommend The Finishing Touch in Chicago. Not the cheapest or fastest, but their work is flawless. You may want to consider splitting the work to keep the cost down. The more difficult parts i.e. grill, should be done by a quality shop that really knows Healeys. More common parts i.e. bumpers can easily be handled by any good chrome plater.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
How good is your eye? Can YOU see the difference between a $2500 job and a $5000 job? Have someone show you why the additional cost is worth it and then ask yourself if it really matters to you. I went through some similar things when restoring my 65. My restorer would push me to buy more expensive alternatives. I would always ask why and look closely at the differences. While I went the more expensive route in many cases, in others I saw no real benefit. Don't make decisions based on the opinions of others alone. Look for yourself. Remember, when new, these cars were not treated to the highest levels of fit and finish. If your goal is to get it as close to new as possible, you can save some money by avoiding the "over-restoration" crowd.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
By the way, "triple chrome" does not mean three layers of chrome. Chrome is plated in a very fine layer over the underlying nickel plating, accomplished just before the chrome is applied. Nickel can be plated directly to the underlyng metal, but, many are first applying a layer of copper plating, then nickel, then chrome. The usefulness of the copper layer is subject to debate. But "triple chrome" is a marketing term, not a plating term. Educate yourself before purchasing, and ask around, as you are doing here.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Cutlass has it right. Some say the triple plate gives a deep reflection and a blueish appearance that can't be duplicated by other means.

Britishautobody

Jedi Hopeful
5k RUN!!!!
My cost on aTriumph front bumper TR6 replate and make straight, meeting insurance company standards is around $350.oo Show chrome from my taking with my clients should be around $500.00-$750.00 per bumper.
I hate to see people getting taken advantage of!

Hope this helps.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Cutlass said:
The usefulness of the copper layer is subject to debate.
One reason for the copper plating is to smooth rough rusted areas. After the copper is applied, lead will adhere to the part. Lead can be easily sanded smooth without making the part thinner and/or weaker. Once smooth, then re-copper plate - nickel and finally chrome.

OP
BOBBYR

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Gang,
Your response has been overwhelming. Being a mechanic and a fabricator all my life has a lot to do with this.Getting this car so close to my retirement and the thought that this could be my last rebuild:I'm sure you can see my reasoning.These cars really are Gems and I would be letting myself down, if I didn't put my best into it.
Thanks for your help on this. You really have helped with my decision.
Bobby R