• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What does a DAILY driver big healey cost today?

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful
Any ideas of a cost of a daily driver to enjoy would cost? Anywhere from a 100 through a BJ8?

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Re: What does a DAILY driver big healey cost today

What are your standards? You can drive a ratty but well maintained early car every day or you can use a beautifully restored late BJ8 driver. The cost variances would be huge.
You can pay $20k for a decent but not picture perfect car and spend maybe another $3-5k getting it daily-driver road worthy. Or you can spend $40k for a very nice driver that basically needs nothing.

My opinion is that Big Healeys need to be driven often, like every week if possible. But I don't think they make great daily drivers. Maybe at this point I'm just too soft and used to the modern creature comforts of my Volvo to embrace the antiquated features and occasional nasty surprizes of my Healey as a daily driver.
Randy '66 BJ8

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I'll weigh in, but I'd like to hear what others think. I agree with Randy, but in today's market, I think you might want to bump his numbers up some.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Dvu101, if you are patient I think you can get a Healey that would qualify as a daily driver for somewhere in the range of 20 -to -25K. The car might require additional work to make it your car.--Fwiw---Keoke

200mph

Country flag
Just FYI, we have a BRG "nice driver" BJ8 with overdrive, new interior, new chrome wire wheels, new Michelins and lots of recent updates, priced at $30k or best offer. pls email two00mph@aol.com if you'd like details and photos.
Thanks,
Mike

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
WHAT! Year is your car?---Keoke

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Go here:

https://www.britishmotoring.net/

...and click on "Car Mart" to see what's for sale right now in the Moss Motors online magazine.
(and take care not to be tempted by the much-cheaper MGs and Triumphs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif )

ArtQ

Assuming your definition of "daily driver" is a car you can use when you wish, not worry about (mechanically), not a trailer queen and you won't commit suicide after getting the first gravel ding, then to me the next question is what kind of "drive" do you want.

There is a vast difference in the creature comfort level and drive ability of a 100 and a late model BJ8. Obviously, price is important, but while many would agree a 100 is the epitome of Healey design, I don't know anyone who would reccommend a cross country trip in one. Conversly, many people find the BJ8 a little too "sedanlike"---real windows---and a top that works.

If you pick the wrong Healey model for your dream rides (we've all got them) only on price, you most likely will be looking for a change sooner than you think.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag

If you need a driver to commute from Virginia to your office in DC each day, I would not recommend an Austin Healey, but if you are looking for a grocery getter and weekend cruiser, then you should be able to find what you are looking for in the mid $20's, at least that's what I've been seeing in the ads.

Patton

Jedi Warrior

dvu101,

When all is added up I will be under $20K for my BN4, and it will make a good daily driver when it's finished. Patience is what I would think would be most important.

Mike,
I think I bought a suqarebody Sprite hood from you several years ago, if so hi! Good to see you here either way.

Patton

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Go here:

https://www.britishmotoring.net/

...and click on "Car Mart" to see what's for sale right now in the Moss Motors online magazine.
(and take care not to be tempted by the much-cheaper MGs and Triumphs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, but that Alpine Saloon is absolutely flawless seen it many times at West Coast shows.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
D

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks all. I guess I should have been more specific but, I just want to drive on weekends, pick the kids up from school, give rides to their friends and go the the store without worring about too many door dings. Make memories with my children. Maybe an older restoration or orig car that maybe need stuff I can do myself. Thanks all for the tips.

Country flag
I personally think you cannot do that. It will become an obsession. Part of the family. You will get hooked on it and when people come up to you and tell you, you have a great, beautiful car and that they had one once and loved it. You'll look for excused to drive it. Door dings will hurt you and you will park far away to protect it. With a Healey comes all these wounderful people on this and other forums you will soon look upon as family.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif What is going to happen dvu101, is you will become a convert to Protectionism and act as that cars Protectionist in all environments it could possibly encounter.---Keoke

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I think it would be great to own an actual Austin Healey driver. I was in Manhattan recently, and saw a slightly battered looking E-Type parked on a downtown street, and thought how cool to be so cavalier about owning such a car...unfortunately, it's something I could never do.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I personally think you cannot do that. It will become an obsession. Part of the family. You will get hooked on it and when people come up to you and tell you, you have a great, beautiful car and that they had one once and loved it. You'll look for excused to drive it. Door dings will hurt you and you will park far away to protect it. With a Healey comes all these wounderful people on this and other forums you will soon look upon as family.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I'm only laughing because it's true!!!

BTW, and FWIW, after years of lusting, I mean looking, one year ago, I paid $45k for an original car in excellent condition with 55k miles. Good luck finding an original car, that just needs a few things you can do yourself, for $25k. If you do, don't think, write a check.

Patton

Jedi Warrior
Its funny what perspective we put on these cars. Here is a scenario. A person pays $40K to $50K for a restored BJ8 and drives it everyday, and does the maintenance that a Healey needs the car should be worth $20K to $30K at the end of 5 years. The same person pays about the same for a new Boxster and drives it for 5 years and that car will be worth about $20.

Seems to me if you want a Healey for a daily driver, and you are willing to put up with the quirks of owning classic car, you would come out ahead.

Drive on!!!

Patton

OP
D

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks all for the advice. I am on the hunt for the RIGHT car now. My kids will love it like I did years ago.