• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Does a car lift exist that could be placed against a wall, and the car rolled sideways onto it?

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm visualizing a double post 'lift' that would have its two lifting 'posts' placed against a wall and that would have two 'forks' (like the front of a fork lift) that would project out from the wall such that the car (a Bugeye in this case) would be placed on rollers, and then pushed sideways onto the 'forks' and then lifted. Lock the 'forks' in place, and then slide a second Bugeye in underneath it. Obviously there'd be a pair of steel 'legs' coming out from the posts and lying on the concrete floor to keep the whole thing from toppling over. They could be be several inches tall (ground clearance for a Spridget is about 5 inches) as the car being stored would not have to roll over them. The posts would be cross-braced to each other, as would the horizontal bracing legs.
I would (ideally!) like to be able to easily store two cars cross-wise, one above the other, at the end of our garage. I currently have the capability (using 4 vertical and manual winches) but the garage has to be cleaned out so as to get the BEs in from the end. Of course, I also want it to work perfectly and be cheap as well...
Thanks!
Doug

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You are an optimistic guy!

I have been in a garage where the guy did literally take a fork lift front and mount it to the wall. He was doing a Caterham replica so the car was light - lighter than a Midget even.

This is my dream but cheap it ain't - last time I asked about 6k so double a regular lift

1647140789192.png

when I went to get the picture above I saw this also, I suspect not cheap either

1647140867008.png

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just had a look at their web-page: when the web-page says 'call for pricing', I tend to figure it's way too pricy.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Just had a look at their web-page: when the web-page says 'call for pricing', I tend to figure it's way too pricy.
I just looked at the 2017 price list - that lift isn't mentioned and they are priced competatively for the regular lifts - the do have some chinese parts but seem to have CDN & USA parts as well and presumably stand behind their project.

If you go to the website, they do have a location in Calgary FWIW

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Anyone a structural engineer (I had one of those degrees a very long time ago)?
Imagine two 4x4 vertical steel hollows up against the wall, 5 ft apart. Weld/bolt a 2" x 4" (car has 5" of clearance) steel channel 4 ft long along the side of the base of each of the verticals. Do the equivalent (but with 2"x 6" deep, you've got lots of space over the car's body)) at the top, so you've got a pair of 'U' shapes. Weld 2x2 braces in a 'Z' shape across the back, making the two verticals nice and rigid. Heck brace the two top 4x6 pieces similarly. Lay two 4x4 chunks of timber on the floor so they'll lie under the car. Put the car (all 1600 pounds/whatever of it) on rolling dollies and push it up against the verticals. The wall end of the 4x4 has at through-bolt eye screw and a steel cable coming down from above. Connect up the same eye bolt/cable thing and start cranking on the two hand winches bolted to the topmost 4x6s. Raise the car; connect up whatever safety system (chain coming down from the top to a second eyebolt on each side of the car? you've come up with so it will never fall, and then roll the second car underneath. Voila!
Do the engineering (loads; welding specs or bolt design specifications) and sell the drawings, or sell kits. I have my (very small) cheque here in my hand...

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks JP - just dropped them a note. And asked them if they felt like a designing a DIY kit.... Doug

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you could find a forklift mast from a dead forklift you could rig up the hydraulics and secure the mast. Ready made side lift.

David

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I found a Big Joe lift on fb marketplace for $300 and with modification for longer legs and forks it lifts all sorts of stuff. We use it mostly in my sons cabinet shop, but I also use it to lift a 75 IH Scout frame and drivetrain. > Products <
Rut

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I found a Big Joe lift on fb marketplace for $300 and with modification for longer legs and forks it lifts all sorts of stuff. We use it mostly in my sons cabinet shop, but I also use it to lift a 75 IH Scout frame and drivetrain. > Products <
Rut
not jealous here no, not a bit - which one did you get from your link?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
not jealous here no, not a bit - which one did you get from your link?
JP,
We found a 2500# big Joe…runs off a 12 volt battery running a hydraulic ram and has a built in battery charger. They are easy to maneuver on a concrete floor, but not so good on rough floors.
Rut

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP,
We found a 2500# big Joe…runs off a 12 volt battery running a hydraulic ram and has a built in battery charger. They are easy to maneuver on a concrete floor, but not so good on rough floors.
Rut
interesting solution, thanks

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
JP,
This is similar to the one I bought, but the seller is way out of line on price. > Log into Facebook <
Rut

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've seen them built into the wall on those garage shows on MAVTV. The most impressive was the guy with three in the back wall holding a Pors he, Jag and MG with his Bentley, Rolls and Maserati with there noses under them. $$$$$

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Finally got off my butt and phoned the local distributor for the Park Magic Single Post Lift and - $ 13,000 Cdn. The model is being discontinued and he hasn't asked for quotes for quite some time as no one wanted to spend that kind of money. Doug

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Finally got off my butt and phoned the local distributor for the Park Magic Single Post Lift and - $ 13,000 Cdn. The model is being discontinued and he hasn't asked for quotes for quite some time as no one wanted to spend that kind of money. Doug
see if he has any in stock that are deeply discounted