• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

cost of a new top

Country flag
I am considering a new Robins Everflex or Sun-fast top for may BJ8. The shop that did the painting (famous restorer of classics and hot rods, they know their stuff)will do it complete for $950. High? Low? or just right?
Thanks
TH

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The cost of the top is probably a bit more than half of their bid. Based on the amount of labor I put in doing my own, I would say that is probably a fair price for the top and installation. It is one of those jobs that seems like it will never be possible, and then little by little you get it the way you want it. If I had a full head of hair I would have pulled most of it out doing this, but I'm happy with the results. It was the first, and hopefully the last, one I'll do.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
I am considering a new Robins Everflex or Sun-fast top for may BJ8. The shop that did the painting (famous restorer of classics and hot rods, they know their stuff)will do it complete for $950. High? Low? or just right?
Thanks
TH

Comparison shopping at the convertible top installer shops in my area, were quoting prices around $1,200. Robins Everflex, installed.

Mine ended up costing around $2,000 when all was said and done.
That included sending the metal frame out to be blasted then power coated the correct color grey.
They also fabricated a stainless steel wire with a spring for tension, into the area over the windows. It helps keep that area from stretching/rising over the years. (Modern convertible top have them).

After getting back from them, I put in a lot of hours in adjusting the roll up windows to meet the top perfectly. You can adjust the windows to the top, but not the top to the windows. The window to top adjustment goes hand in hand with the rubber seal too. The seal gets attached to the aluminum holding rail. That can be moved and adjusted too.

When having a shop install the top, questions need to be asked about how much tweaking are they going to do, to the finished product.

Will the frame need to be tweaked to get the new top to fit better? (Mine did). Will they be adjusting the windows or seals too? Will it be water tight everywhere? Will there be wind noise?

I monitored the top install and I'm glad I paid a professional to do it.
The better the installer, the better the end product.
You do get what you pay for.

I asked all the shops I talked to about their experience with Healeys. A lot of them said it did not matter. They learn about the Healey from taking the current top off. Then it's a matter of tweaking the frame and top together to get a proper fit. I looked at their work and how professional they sounded. I did not go with the cheapest bidder. And I told the shop that I ended up using that. I told them I chose them for the quality that they promised me. I made that clear up front.

tahoe healey, sounds like the price is reasonable, could you have them give you the price for labor only, i was able to buy a new sun fast in the box top for my bj7 for $100.00, list price at that time was over $600.00, and a new tonneau cover for $50.00, might take some effort to find this kind of deal but i think its worth the time. :savewave:

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
:yesnod: Beautiful job indeed. I'd never put the top down if mine looked as good as yours.

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
AUSMHLY,does your '64 BJ8 use a clip in rear window like my '63 BJ7 or zip in like my '67 BJ8 phase 2? cheers Genos2.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Genos2 said:
AUSMHLY,does your '64 BJ8 use a clip in rear window like my '63 BJ7 or zip in like my '67 BJ8 phase 2? cheers Genos2.

Mine has the zip window.
I have a phase 2 BJ8

I unzip the window and hang/place it in the area where the top stores before I fold the top down . I've been told that helps keep the window from getting creases and does not put stress on the zipper when putting the top up or down.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Johnny said:
:yesnod: Beautiful job indeed. I'd never put the top down if mine looked as good as yours.

I've been told to keep the top up when not in use. Even when the car is under a car cover in the garage. (Hey I'm not the only one who has a cover on when in the garage, am I....?) Anyway, I was told to put the top down when going for a ride, and to put it back up when done.

So I do, and my top still fits and looks like new.
I keep it clean and protect it with Areospace 303 on the Everflex and the window. It keeps the window from turning yellow, drying out and cracking.

I drive the car with the top up more than down. All those weeks (the learning curve) spent getting the windows and seals to fit perfectly, really pays off when driving. I hardly have any wind noise and no water leaks down the windows. Really. Now that small drip under the dash, if I could just figure where that comes from. (I've posted on that topic before, so let's not go there...here).

Cheers,
Roger

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Roger, is your top a Robins? The rear window is a lot larger than my current one. Is it Everflex or vinyl? Looks good.
I thought you were going back to the original steering wheel.
TH

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Roger, is your top a Robins? The rear window is a lot larger than my current one. Is it Everflex or vinyl? Looks good.
I thought you were going back to the original steering wheel.
TH

Robins top.
Everflex is vinyl.
Sunfast is cloth.

As far as why your window (if a zip out) is smaller than the Robbins top I have, I believe mine is the correct size. I didn't modify the window size.

Robins uses Everflex which has the correct pattern cut and the material has the correct looking grain. My Blue colored top has the grey interior "headliner" even though it's not really a separate "Headliner" and has the two correct sized grey straps.

I did replace the Mota-Lita steering wheel back to the original banjo style wheel. (Those photos are older, taken when the top was installed. I always take photos along the way durning my restoration).
Good catch Eagle Eyes! Oh, that's right, you are an Optometrist.
Cheers.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks Roger. Did the straps come with the top? Moss sells something they call "crush grain vinyl". I cannot wait to see your car dirty someday (yeah, like that will happen).

andybj8

Jedi Hopeful
Roger

Just spent many many many hours trying to get my windscreen on, wrong seal etc etc (dont ask), I found that I could see daylight just off centre between the shroud top and windscreen to shroud seal. As I tightened up the centre well nut it would lift the screen up and there was a slight gap at one point if you put your nose level with the inside where the mirror goes. To check you would have to remove your dash padded top. The water can run to the sides / footwells as the shroud has an indent / channel in it which the screen sits on.

If I had not been sitting on the tunnel with my eye level with the dash top I might never have seen the wisper of daylight!!! I had to adjust the bracket and get a new well nut. So the screen went off / on anothe time!!! Worth a look???

cheers Andy

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Thanks Roger. Did the straps come with the top? Moss sells something they call "crush grain vinyl". I cannot wait to see your car dirty someday (yeah, like that will happen).

Hey Rich,

The two straps (webbing set) did not come with the Robins top. If memory serves me, I purchased them from Moss.

Are you going with the crush grain vinyl?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
andybj8 said:
Roger

Just spent many many many hours trying to get my windscreen on, wrong seal etc etc (dont ask), I found that I could see daylight just off centre between the shroud top and windscreen to shroud seal. As I tightened up the centre well nut it would lift the screen up and there was a slight gap at one point if you put your nose level with the inside where the mirror goes. To check you would have to remove your dash padded top. The water can run to the sides / footwells as the shroud has an indent / channel in it which the screen sits on.

If I had not been sitting on the tunnel with my eye level with the dash top I might never have seen the wisper of daylight!!! I had to adjust the bracket and get a new well nut. So the screen went off / on anothe time!!! Worth a look???

cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for sharing your story and thinking of my situation. I too thought of water coming in from under the windscreen seal. So I removed my dash top, and ran water down the windscreen and watched, hoping that was where the leak was coming in. I did not see water access there. I posted about this here on the forum. Someday I may revisit the leak area. Thank you for suggesting that area.

Cheers,
Roger