• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Suspension Rebuild

Crisis

Jedi Hopeful
Members,

I will soon be tackling the job of rebuilding the suspension on my 73 TR6, hopefully to have it ready for the spring (usually late April here in Canada). I plan to use original rubber bushing material and set to stock ride height as the roads here are quite awful due to our harsh weather. I have; new bushing kit, upper ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar links.
I have a few questions:
1) Should I replace the shocks? They are original but the car doesn't seem to bounce around excessively.
2) Should I replace the springs? As I said, I'm looking for stock ride height as lowering may cause problems.
3) I guess I should replace the rear suspension/trailing arm links while I'm there?
Any suggestions, comments, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much,

Reid

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't forget the trunnions, as they are the main wear component in the front. Also sway bar bushings, rear shock links, rebound stops and spring seats.

If the shocks seem OK, I'd probably leave them. They're easy enough to change later if need be. But check them while you have them off for even resistance throughout the stroke both up and down. It's easy for problems and wear to creep up without being noticed.

Likewise if you don't have a problem with the springs, I'd keep the originals. Lots of folks report problems with replacement springs being the wrong length or the wrong stiffness.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

R

RonMacPherson

As suggested, I recommend that you give attention to the trunnions.

Also, I would recommend that you reconsider the bushing material. My experience with the replacement rubber, both from Moss and TRf is that the rubber does not last nearly as long as the factory rubber. Noticed dryrot cracking within 3 years of both.

Consider replacing the main bushings with a good poly replacement. No need to go to nylatron, but a good poly(Goodparts, BP Northwest for example) will last darn near forever and a soft poly will not measurably increase the ride stiffness.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
I would give a little different opinion on the shocks. I would replace them. The test of pulling them by hand can tell you if you have a dead shock. If the pull isn't even, etc. then it's dead. However, I think it is very hard to spot a shock that is performing at about 30%. Humans can't move a shock up and down anywhere near as fast as they move on the car so you can't tell if they're working really well or just barely. If they are 30 years old, I would guess that they aren't in top shape any more.

Bryan

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Also check/replace ball joints & tie rod ends. Cheap & critical. If the rubber boots are cracked & split (usually the case) these should be replaced even if not worn. Ingress of water & grit will do them in very quickly.

As for bushes, I used a combination of poly and rubber. Polly on the upper front wishbone, and rear, rubber on the lower front. The polly bushes can give a bit of a harsher ride & more control which some folks prefer, so this is really just a matter of preference.

And while its apart - its worth checking & repacking the front wheel bearings. And check the brake pads & rotors, and......well you get the idea.

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
...probably should refresh the engine while it's down...

...gotta love shipwrights disease. all other opinions are great things to at least inspect, if not replace due to outright age.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

robbie

Freshman Member
hi all,
I am also about to start a front suspension re-build, the advice, and pictures are such a huge help and inspiration.Aside from Tinster's narrative what shop manual was most helpful.
I've had my TR for twenty- plus years but its been awhile since I've seriously turned some wrenches.
Thanks for the help.

rob

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Hi Winnipeg Reid!
I think April for driving would be optimistic there.
Anyway, when I got my TR6 'bout 3 years ago I redid the whole front end right away including shocks but kept the original springs; it's the safest thing to do since it all keeps you safely between the ditches.
The second year I reworked the rear end, including T/A bushings (to stop the rear end changing lanes at gearshifts) and springs (to remove negative camber)

OP
C

Crisis

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Graham,

You're right, April will be optimistic but we've been lucky before. Keeping our fingers crossed.
What did you use for your front and rear bushings? I plan on using rubber bushings, new shocks, old springs up front. For the rear I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking poly bushings, old springs, and refurbished lever shocks (will have rebuilt if necessary, but am hoping I can just change out old oil/clean/paint).
How did the car feel after the repairs?
Thanks,
Reid

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Purchase the whole kit from TRF, it has every thing you need, I did mine 2 1/2 years ago, and replace the shocks too and a rebuild steering rack