• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Rule of thumb for frt suspension shims

OP
K

Kingcat

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'm putting the frt suspension back on the frame. I didn't take note of how many shims there were originally. Is there a rule of thumb as to what to start with at this point? Another question for future reference. Where can I find the tool and or 90wt to use to lubricate trunnions after installation?

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
If the engine assy is set in the frame you have enough load to shim the arms to get a semi-close rough out.
Regardless, when the car is done it requires a quality 4 wheel alignment.Take lots of shims to your guy and some beer too.
Expect to pay a good price and receive a printed reading giving the final specs that were achieved.
Any reading out of spec will indicate some issue to be dealt with .
Mad dog

OP
K

Kingcat

Freshman Member
Country flag
If the engine assy is set in the frame you have enough load to shim the arms to get a semi-close rough out.
Regardless, when the car is done it requires a quality 4 wheel alignment.Take lots of shims to your guy and some beer too.
Expect to pay a good price and receive a printed reading giving the final specs that were achieved.
Any reading out of spec will indicate some issue to be dealt with .
Mad dog
I'm aways from setting the eng in. ajaust trying to get a general idea as I put the frt suspension back on the frame. Thanks for the good advice and bringing plenty of beer.

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Cheers ,Kingcat !! Even if you had saved all the shims in little bags ,tagged & numbered,it would not be accurate now
due to the new bushings and other bits. Who knows if it was set right before teardown?? I suggest the simple crutch
of a small magnetic level be put onto the brake disc(or drum) Half a bubble neg camber will get it close enough for the
first blush assembly.
Mad dog

OP
K

Kingcat

Freshman Member
Country flag
Excellent tip. Noy quite there yet but geting closer everyday.Made a few mistakes along the way but I know the other side is going to be easier because of them.Dicovered something today. All the illistrations show the pan bolts going in from the bottom. I have two complete assy's from a parts car. All the bolts drop in from the top.I took the parts car apart so I know it hadn't been worked on previously.. Lot's of learning. I appreciate all the help everyone's given me.

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The biggest decision on a 6 is what to do with the motor(underpowered lump of iron).
I suggest .040 bore, and .125 off the head. road cam ,minor port work. steel seats ect
Did a nice 71 some time ago went with tricarbs(bolt on mods are OK).I took two air cleaners ,cut apart the
housings and welded it up as a tricarb unit.Looked great and freaked out the 6 packers to see three
Stromberg's done as the factory should have.
Mad dog

OP
K

Kingcat

Freshman Member
Country flag
I do plan on some engine and head work. I'm using the head froma later model as I understand it flows better. And I am going to get a GP2 cam. Not sure of all the details yet. Not quite to the eng yet.