• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Next step suspension rebuild, anyone done one?

H82WRK

I was looking through the Moss catalog and saw the rebuild kit, price roughly $184, looks like a lot of pins etc.

My suspension is shot, lots of movement side to side and back and forth (wheel) everything is loose and when I hit a bump it looks like the wheels are shaking!

So I want to rebuild but the last thing I want to do is get everything apart and realized that I should have ordered more parts from Moss than what is included in the front end rebuild kit.

So what are any items that I will also need? I am also going to put new brake cylinders and rebuild the calipers as well.

Thanks!

Rachael

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
If you are doing the whole 9 yards, consider getting new king pin bushings and having the axle shafts reamed and\, shimmed to the new king pins etc.

Patrick

Country flag
Get in touch with Peter Caldwell, He can sell you all the rebuild parts you need AND rebush your spindles as well. His price will be cheaper than Moss, and many of his parts will be of better quality. And his "after sale" will most likely be much better.

BTW, Missed you and Jim G at the Cincy show.

OP
H

H82WRK

Ahh thanks! Trevor did you get rained on? I was set to go (it was a little later in the day roughly noon) and checked the forecast and there was a large storm cell headed that way, I stayed home (luckily!) it poured! John K was also supposed to go, I was bummed because it was have been a great opportunity to check out some cars like mine and make sure I am doing things right!

Country flag
Yup John was there. We got rained on for about 15 minutes, but everything dried out pretty quick. There were quite a few spridgets there, but they had them parked in two different areas.

Next big show in the area is Dayton OH, on August 4th. I don't know if I'll make that one.

There was another new Midget owner there, but I can't remember her name. She just bought a '74 Midget, and lives in Cincy.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh my word, it rained on the little cars. Supose to take along a big blue tarp to cover em up. Water = rust.

Country flag
Jeesh Jack, they're cars! I had a 10'x10' pop-up shelter that I sat over the car, but I originally took it in case they didn't have shade.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, they cars Trevor but water is a no no.

Miss Agatha has not been rained on in at least 7 years that I know of.

Country flag
Doesn't that greatly limit when/where you can drive?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Noop not a bit, I can only stand so much heat and it has been hot. Will pick up trailer next week so Miss Agatha can go along and I can ride in the A/C with wife.

In any case until it cools off and I get the oil pump replaced I am staying to short trips close to home.

Am only allowed to drive to car shows and a bit of testing or pleasure. Hay, like I told the insurance lady it is all pleasure. For $100 dollars a year insurance, seems about right.

Really I have nothing against rain but the dirt on the road gets all over everything underneath when the road is wet. Then I get it on my hands when working. Shoot I have not gotten my hands dirty on Miss Agatha in months and months, hehe.

bugimike

Yoda
One could safely say Jack will not be driving Ms. Agatha between the hours of 3 - 6 pm daily during the summer down here /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Morris

Yoda
Back to the original topic... I will echo what Trevor said about contacting PeterC. He is the best. One thing that goes bad on these cars 99.99% of the time is the outer fulcrum pins. Their threads get worn, which cause wobble, and they get "welded" to the king pins by rust, which makes them nearly impossible to remove/replace. If I were to do mine over, I would pull the a-arms, kin pins and all, and send them to Eric Jones (PeterC can put you in contact with him, or I can send you his number if you PM me). He will send you back rebuilt a-arms with new fulcrum pins and king pins all put together and ready to install.

I think it's debatable whether new king pin bushes NEED to be fitted. But to do it 100% right, they should be fitted. PeterC can help you with that, plus probably hook you up with all the various shims and bushes you will need.

All in all, it will be much easier and you will save big $$ over buying out of "Moss Mark-ups."

OP
H

H82WRK

Ok, as I have done before I printed everything out and am starting to make a list of items that I will need. Maybe I should post here to make sure I have it right? I appreciate the referral and would love to have this Peter C or Eric Jones that you speak of. Anytime I can save some money I would like too, especially since I have had to put way more money in this car than I ever expected!

As for the rain, I was worried I would get stuck in it because of the fact that my top is in my girlfriend's garage and I would have been very wet with no top on! (haha that sounds dirty). And Jack you crack me up with the no rain and little Agatha in the trailer, I think it is great that you are that protective of your little car...but I have to ask how do you wash her, with dry water? (just kidding!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) And I am glad to hear that you are playing by the insurance rules. I handle the classic car claims here at my company and we also have those restrictions and I really appreciate people that pay attention to the rules, makes my job much simpler, pay and close!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I wash her with Mothers detailing liquid. No water at all yet, although I would not hesitate to do so. She has just not gotten dirty.

Country flag
Isn't Eric Jones in the Dayton Area or maybe Columbus?

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
I think Eric Jones is up near Delaware, Ohio, which is just north of Columbus.