• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Next Project

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Just a hint of things to come.

Attachments

• 29755.jpg
    29755.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 265

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Modifications?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looking forward to seeing what you do. Our '73 is in great shape, and I'm very happy with it. But the GT is begging for an upgrade, and I'm not really wanting to go with a coil/tube shock conversion.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Stew, those "bushings" at the ends of those a-arms intrigue!

Whatta ya up to?!?! :laugh:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
With kingpin and upper/lower a-arms assembled, will not the sway-bar be located some clear distance from the arm when attached?

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's tight but it does clear. Freaked me out for a bit under the hot sun. Right side just needs cotter pins installed and it's done however someone walked off with my box of pins.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
With the Heim joints, if ya have <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> clearance, you're good-to-go! :thumbsup:

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Right side is done other than the ride height. It's sitting at 13.5" to the bottom of the chrome strip which is about a 1/4" lower than before. When everything is said and done I'd like it around 14". Left side is about half way done and should be finished up in the morning.

Attachments

• 29771.jpg
    29771.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 153
OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well its fishished though I'll grab a picture this weekend when I go back over everything. Hardest part was finding a shop that had MGB's in their alignment system. It was a pretty strait forward install overall and moss provided just about everything needed including the 2 drill bits for their method of modifying the cross-member.

Old setup was factory stock with the exception of the lowered bump stops, 550# 2" lowering springs, poly bushings and the tourist trophy swaybar. Ride height was LF 13.5 RF 13.75 New setup is the moss coil over kit 268-198, poly bushings and fab-tek drop spindles. Ride height now equal at 13 7/8ths

I put about 80 miles on the moss coil-over system today with a bit of city driving, freeway driving and super twisty mountain driving. I'm still playing with the shock rebound adjustment and currently it's set at 10 clicks. Ride around town is improved, while still on the firm side it's no longer jittery over the small stuff and smooths out the big stuff. Bump steer has been reduced considerably. If you hit a big bump previously the steering wheel would get ripped from your hands. Freeway driving is also improved and has smoothed out the the expansion joints. The big improvement is in the mountains. The car has sharpened up, previously when you entered a corner the car would "float" a bit as the suspension loaded up and then would feel well connected to the road. Now the "floating" feel is gone. Also the ride over washboard sections of road particularly in corners has smoothed out.

Things I've learned

1 before bolting the shock up to the car move the height adjuster up at least 6 threads. If you don't your not going to be able to move it at all and your going to have to do some dissasembly.

2 instead of drilling a billion holes in cross-member to make the hole for the shock a 1 3/4" hole saw will make quick work of the job. Down side to this method is the large amount of red hot metal that will rain down on your hand.

3 When adjusting the ride height 1 full turn of the adjusting ring = 1/4 inch of ride height.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Now I see what you're doing. I admit I hadn't figured it out from the pics -- not as familiar with MGB suspension as I am with Spridget stuff. Very cool.