• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stripped screws in Bugeye windshield frame

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have got a problem I need help with. The three screws on the passenger side are tight, however, two of three screws on the driver side post to the window frame are stripped. There is very little material for screws to hold on to to begin with, and this seems like a poor design to me. I currently have glass in the frame, and I have 10-32 half inch stainless steel screws securing the posts to the frame. I was just going to use larger screws, but the next screw I could find jumps to 1/4 inch, a little too big. Any ideas?
Kevin

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Cram a sliver of aluminum foil into the hole (maybe 4 folds thick) and reinsert the original screws, not fancy but it works
BillM

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I filled the hole with JB Weld and then drilled and tapped a new hole in mine.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
You can get thread-repair kits at any good hardware store. One of the most common is a brand named Helicoil. You drill out the hole, tap it with a special tap, and screw in the helicoil insert. Then, you have a new threaded hole of the original size.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The other thing those screw heads on the windshield frame just might be PosiDrive Screws. I had mine apart to install windshield seal, and it really is easier and takes 5 minutes to do. Lots of PB Blaster in advance.IT came right apart.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am pretty sure just about all of the screws were posidrive. They were so corroded in most cases that it took me a while to figure it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.I should have checked all screw holes before I polished the frame and had the windshield installed. It has been a while since I have worked on the windshield frame, and I simpley forgot. The four screws were heck to get out, and now I remember why there were two screws missing. I tried the foil trick, but I think the two holes are too messed up for that to work. I think I would like to try the helicoil. How difficult are these to install? Can I do this with the glass in the frame? I guess I will have to figure out what size screws they are. What will a parts store need to know? Will it make a difference that I am working with aluminum?

Kevin

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
Helicoils are pretty easy to install, especially in aluminum! It basically a set screw with a threaded hole thru it. You drill and tap an over size hole and thread in the coil. The center threads are now your new threads. As for doing it with glass installed, that sounds trick but if you take your time it might be do able. Good luck

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I ordered a Helicoil kit and it should be here Wednesday. My first time trying this. The inserts themselves are only about 3/8" deep, so I should be able to pull it off with the windshield in place if I take my time. It is scary to me to think of what little is protecting the driver with this windshield arrangement. I may very well be looking into a roll bar later.
Kevin

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
LOL yeah that windshield will fold faster than a lazyboy in a roll. I'm definitely will install one in mine before I take it on the road.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
If you find a Roll Bar for sale you can get it UPS'd across the country for $50. Just slap a shipping label on it and call for a pickup. I bought one from CA for Bugsy my '68 Sprite that way.